Issues With Meet & Mingle

That doesn't help me with my question. Our roll call would like to know which day and time the meet and mingle is on the Aruba route. We don't have a confirmed meet and mingle yet!

Wow, cool your jets, they will let you know when it is scheduled.:)

My Take: Thank you, Royal Caribbean, for offering us a place to meet with people we've been chatting with for months. Thank you for the raffles & gifts; maybe some don't appreciate them, but others go out of their way to try to win the same at Trivias and other events. Thank you for providing either the CD or sometimes ship's officers to welcome us. Thank you for offering this free event in an age when everybody (cruises, AI's, etc.) seems to be cutting back.

It is a nice way to meet up with some people, and we have found each one very different. Different staff and different cruisers.

I would like to put forward our reason for missing something we have intended to get to. Ship time. You get on board and just start relaxing, and you just lose track of time. :o

We were late last cruise due to there being two sets of elevators on Rhapsody. One set does not go as high up and we thought we could go up and walk across to the event. Wrong! So another reason is for people not getting there is the time it takes to get used to a ship. And, we had sailed Rhapsody before! Still got lost :)

I was recently on the Adventure of the Seas and attended the meet & mingle. I am sadly disappointed by the behaviour of some of our members who also attended this event. Forgive me as I am about to step on a few toes here but I need to get this off of my chest. Some long time cruisers were making comments to the cruise director about getting the same free gift over and over and the same prizes from the raffle over and over again. I'm sorry to say, it's comments like that, that ruin it for the rest of us. Just because you have cruised since Moses walked the earth and you are jaded doesn't give you the right to complain about a free gift. If you don't want that free gift feel free not to take it. When people make comments about an event that the cruise line holds for us free of charge that event could easily be taken away like many of the other fun things that we use to get and no longer do. The other thing that bothered me were the people who signed up for the meet and mingle and couldn't be bothered to show up. If you sign up you need to show up or the party could be taken away from us. Just some food for thought! I've now gotten this off my chest, feel free to comment if you want.

I'd say there is one in every crowd, but in my experience, those types are around but not at everyone. The prize raffle is the least important part of the event for me. I've been to some great ones and some not so great ones. I'm still angry with Royal for changing the time of the event after we boarded and we didn't get notified.

Edited by BillOh

What is the dress code for the M & M ? RC website says dress casual. Long pants, collared shirt ? Can you arrive 15 minutes late ? Spa appointment ending at start time of the M & M. Thanks Gerry.

Casual is fine, just not wet. I'd say the dress code is the same for the windjammer. The event time varies from ship/itinerary to another. I've seen people put on a wrap when coming from the pool. Our 2014 Jewel one was on a port day, some people came directly to it when they got on the ship.

I've been to 2 different M&Ms on the Allure. The first (2012) was fantastic because we really had the opportunity to get to know our fellow roll call members. The 2nd (2014) was quite disappointing because all the Royal staff did was talk about the history of the line...blah blah blah. I'm not sure if that's the norm now. On the plus side you did receive a welcome gift of a notepad that included a pen. There was really no opportunity to talk to others except at the end when everyone was getting up. The fact that they have prizes each time is great! Champagne, wine, t-shirts, toiletry kits, etc. are all awesome so I would not complain. I'm appreciative that Royal provides us with giveaways.

Edited by sauvichick

It's difficult to commit to an event not knowing the date or time in advance. I don't understand why folks show up at the M&M that never once posted on their cruise roll call. I'm glad we usually have a pre M&M Sat. night before our cruise. You also get to meet the folks you've actually been in contact with if you plan a slot pull, sail away meet.

I was recently on the Adventure of the Seas and attended the meet & mingle. I am sadly disappointed by the behaviour of some of our members who also attended this event. Forgive me as I am about to step on a few toes here but I need to get this off of my chest. Some long time cruisers were making comments to the cruise director about getting the same free gift over and over and the same prizes from the raffle over and over again. I'm sorry to say, it's comments like that, that ruin it for the rest of us. Just because you have cruised since Moses walked the earth and you are jaded doesn't give you the right to complain about a free gift. If you don't want that free gift feel free not to take it. When people make comments about an event that the cruise line holds for us free of charge that event could easily be taken away like many of the other fun things that we use to get and no longer do. The other thing that bothered me were the people who signed up for the meet and mingle and couldn't be bothered to show up. If you sign up you need to show up or the party could be taken away from us. Just some food for thought! I've now gotten this off my chest, feel free to comment if you want.

On my first cruise we walked across the parted sea with Moses (just kidding) HOWEVER we never have complained about the gifts or raffle items.

At M&M on the Oasis last week there were few in attendance and enough raffle items for everyone except two people. The two of us long timers asked Chris to remove our names from the raffle so that everyone else could receive an item.

On all cruises, if one of our names is called for a bottle of wine we give it away to someone else. The same goes for all of the other items including free internet, free speciality restaurant, etc.

Please don't condemn all "Moses Cruisers".

Edited by beachnative

Our most recent M&M was on Grandeur. It was on a sea day and was hosted by the guest services manager. She said that no matter how many RSVP they get, only about half show up.

PS - we won the bottle of wine.

RE: not attending.

We've cruised a lot, and do STILL enjoy going to the M&M. But I will admit in singing up and not attending more than once.

Why? Twice the seas were not conducive for the two of us to be upright. So we stayed in bed. A couple of times, the event clashed with other things that we wanted to do. And for a couple of cruises, the CC group really wanted a M&M event, but were a few short- so while we had no intention of going at all- that was no reason to not have the party at all.

We've talked to the crew members who show up a few times- they expect only about half the people to show up.

As for the stuff they give out- yes, it's repetitive- but on the other hand, there are no more pens in your stateroom. And the ones they give out are pretty nice.

And the people- I have yet to encounter a bad person, thankfully. We got some hints for our upcoming cruises for things to do, which was great; we met some great people that we talked with for the entire cruise; and for one raffle- we were the only ones who did not get any raffle stuff (the party was that small on the Oasis) so the winners of the big package gave us some hats from their loot.

I will continue to sign up, even if I have no intention of going. IMHO, me missing the event is better than not having the event because I didn't sign up.

Edit- just looked for our upcoming M&M event- it's at 10am on the first sea day. We'll see- we normally attend the 9am spinning classes (so that we can eat and drink). That happened once before, and while I went, my other half kept running.

Edited by alfaeric

Aww I'm so sorry the M&M had some shall we say Party Poopers. Anyways I go to the events to meet fellow cruisers. On my last Princess Panama Canal cruise we had a dinner in a specialty restaurant and it was fun talking to people.

People complain about a free lunch. If you don't like the gift why not be gracious and say thank you and then give it to your grandchildren friend or other relative who would appreciate it. I can never get enough pens key chains or those cool passport organizers and hats.

The host and staff take time out of their busy schedule to set it up.

So will the next complaint be there is no free alcohol or the food is bad?

I wish there was a way to vett people before rather than suffer through the agony. These same people who complain could be on the group tours Cruise Critic members plan. Can you imagine the Sam M&M people not showing up.for a tour or being mean to the guide?

Just my 2 cents. Any thoughts?

Agree that it's pretty tacky to be complaining about the free stuff they give away. Making jokes about it is all in good fun, but I've seen the kind of thing you describe, where some people seem to be taking it too seriously.

I wouldn't be too hard on those who don't show up, though. If I sign up, I intend to be there, but at that time, I don't know what other activities might be going on at the same time. If I get on the ship, and there's something else happening that I really want to participate in, I would skip the M&M. But I usually go, and there's usually a pretty good turnout, even if it's not every person who registered.

That doesn't help me with my question. Our roll call would like to know which day and time the meet and mingle is on the Aruba route. We don't have a confirmed meet and mingle yet!

You need 25 people to sign up before you will get a notification of a Confirmed M&M. From the link that I provided you, it appears you don't have enough people signed up yet.

Edit: According to your Roll Call as of last night you only have 23 signed up. ;) When you reach 25 people, you will get an email confirmation and then you can use the link I provided to confirm your day, place and time.

Edited by cruisenfever

Its called "Meet & Mingle" not "Meet and Get Free Stuff!"

At least RCI is acknowledging in a very small way that we are a significant group of loyal customers. And, as previously stated, who knows how long that will last.

I signed up for the meet/mingle on our upcoming cruise - I did it because it was our first cruise and when I started posting here, everyone was telling me to do it! :p

But if we are on the ship and it's at a time that we wanted to do something else, I can't say for sure we will go- it's our first cruise, so I have no idea what we will be doing.

Our roll call wasn't that active so I don't really post there and last night I tried to find a way to remove ourselves from the meet/mingle, but I can't. :confused:

We will try our best to attend.

I signed up for the meet/mingle on our upcoming cruise - I did it because it was our first cruise and when I started posting here, everyone was telling me to do it! :p

But if we are on the ship and it's at a time that we wanted to do something else, I can't say for sure we will go- it's our first cruise, so I have no idea what we will be doing.

Our roll call wasn't that active so I don't really post there and last night I tried to find a way to remove ourselves from the meet/mingle, but I can't. :confused:

We will try our best to attend.

Don't worry about, there isn't a requirement to show up. Go if you can, don't if you can't.

The people that really, really want it are happy that you helped them have one.

On the Vision in March, we didn't receive the usual stuff at the Meet & Mingle. We received t-shirts, hats, free lunches at all the specialty restaurants, coupons for free items in the stores, champagne, wine, visors, etc. No notepads w/pens, yellow highlighters, etc. A school teacher I was sitting next to was very disappointed because she gave those items away as prizes during the school year! The Activities Manager was our host and he said they read the complaints on Cruise Critic about the prizes and are taking it to heart and stepping up to give better prizes.

I enjoy going to M & M, because we have the opportunity to meet the people we have been posting with on CC while waiting for the cruise.

I'm happy I won a visor on my last cruise. It is a different color than the others I have.

On the Vision in March, we didn't receive the usual stuff at the Meet & Mingle. We received t-shirts, hats, free lunches at all the specialty restaurants, coupons for free items in the stores, champagne, wine, visors, etc. No notepads w/pens, yellow highlighters, etc. A school teacher I was sitting next to was very disappointed because she gave those items away as prizes during the school year! The Activities Manager was our host and he said they read the complaints on Cruise Critic about the prizes and are taking it to heart and stepping up to give better prizes.

Now this would be nice if they did it consistently throughout the fleet. :(

No good deed goes unpunished. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my favorite sayings next to "The road to he'll is paved with good intentions."

Edited by John&LaLa

It's difficult to commit to an event not knowing the date or time in advance. I don't understand why folks show up at the M&M that never once posted on their cruise roll call. I'm glad we usually have a pre M&M Sat. night before our cruise. You also get to meet the folks you've actually been in contact with if you plan a slot pull, sail away meet.

Anyone who has been in one of my roll calls knows you aren't talking about me ;) I do know some people are lurkers, but get value out of what they read. I had one guy who never posted in our Freedom 2008 roll call, come up to me and thank me for a few things and say how much he enjoyed the roll call. He wasn't intimidated by the number of posts, or anyone's opinions, he just chose to be that way.

Our most recent M&M was on Grandeur. It was on a sea day and was hosted by the guest services manager. She said that no matter how many RSVP they get, only about half show up.

PS - we won the bottle of wine.

I'd say that is pretty close to my observation as well.