Nice shorts & collared shirt in MDR on Zaandam?

janermac

I do not think people who don't follow the guidelines need to make an excuse or 'man up' to anyone as to why they choose not to. Their reason is entirely their own and no one has the right to question their reasoning.

Who knows what the rules are these days!?!? I was also on the N. Amsterdam a few weeks ago and one passenger was told to put on pants at the Mariners lunch. Then I saw someone else get into the dining room wearing jeans and a t-shirt on Gala night. Either one didn't bother me but it was interesting watching how the same staff enforced rules at one time but not another.

Try to ignore the comments. Some posters are not happy unless they are taking digs at someone. It speaks volumes. Clearly they are trying to get the attention they are missing in their lives.

Thanks for your encouragement, it's kind of sad that you can't ask a question without the snarky replies coming out. This will be our first HAL cruise and it doesn't speak well of some of the clientele. On a positive note, the majority had really nice things to say with very helpful information! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not think people who don't follow the guidelines need to make an excuse or 'man up' to anyone as to why they choose not to. Their reason is entirely their own and no one has the right to question their reasoning.

That's exactly what I said:confused:. I have no idea why people need to make excuses.

Thanks for your encouragement, it's kind of sad that you can't ask a question without the snarky replies coming out. This will be our first HAL cruise and it doesn't speak well of some of the clientele. On a positive note, the majority had really nice things to say with very helpful information! :)

There is a reason for my "snarky" responses. There are those of us who enjoy the ambiance of a dining room. It is one of the reasons we choose the cruise lines we choose - and pay for it. The attire of the guests is as much a part of that ambiance as tablecloths, china, and nice glass wear. I would be just as snarky if HAL started serving wine out of red solo cups.

What I express is an opinion of many and we do not want it drowned out by those who say - "everyone knows the rules, we are just going to ignore them until someone stops us".

So is it "helpful" to you to know you won't be alone if you ignore the rules you agreed to when choosing HAL? Or is it helpful to know the reason why people do what they do?

Edited by JPH814

My hubby is pretty adamant that he wants to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt in the evening to dinner - not formal night. We're traveling with a large group and I will be bummed if we get turned away (he could always go change I guess). This will be our first HAL cruise. Has anyone seen this on the Zaandam?

Thanks!

Sorry you received what some have called "snarky" replies.

You said DH is pretty adamant about wearing nice shorts to the MDR. You and he obviously know the rules or you wouldn't be afraid of being turned away. You just asked if anyone has seen this on the Zaandam.

To answer your question, I have not seen anyone wear shorts to the MDR on the Zaandam. On other ships, I have seen people turned away at the door for wearing shorts.

There is a reason for my "snarky" responses. There are those of us who enjoy the ambiance of a dining room. It is one of the reasons we choose the cruise lines we choose - and pay for it. The attire of the guests is as much a part of that ambiance as tablecloths, china, and nice glass wear. I would be just as snarky if HAL started serving wine out of red solo cups.

What I express is an opinion of many and we do not want it drowned out by those who say - "everyone knows the rules, we are just going to ignore them until someone stops us".

So is it "helpful" to you to know you won't be alone if you ignore the rules you agreed to when choosing HAL? Or is it helpful to know the reason why people do what they do?

It is helpful when someone answers the question, period. If we were going to "ignore the rules until someone stops us", I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place, and I wouldn't have replied several times that my husband will follow the advice given and be happy and grateful to be on a wonderful trip with family. I fail to see how snarky comments are helpful, sorry. Just makes first time HAL cruisers, like us, concerned about the attitude of some of the people we may encounter. Like I said, most of the replies were really great and I believe are more representative of HAL cruisers in general.

OP, it might help your DH decide whether he wishes to push the limits by looking at it from this perspective. The ship is just a little city on the water. As with any city, it has various restaurants and dining rooms. Some have dress codes. As with any dining room in your fair city, the maitre d' is tasked with ensuring clientele comply with the dress code in order to preserve the ambience for the other clientele. If that means long pants, then your DH may be turned away to change. As long as he is not offended and his party is not embarrassed, then I suppose that is his risk to take. The reason you received such strong responses from the posters is because they like the ambience of a proper dining room as opposed to an every day restaurant. It's the reason my 14 year old DD asked for HAL over a party ship or Disney cruise: elegance and maturity with all the fun.

It's like the raging debate you will see over the new term gala attire. Gala has always meant a formal, showy event complete with sparkly gowns and tuxedos. It has never meant anything else. Yet confusion abounds that it may mean something less. It does not. It was only after sporting events started calling their big do's "galas" that the dress code altered at all. Still, you'll see people interpreting the gala code as it suits and taking the same risk that your DH takes. I think your answer is, "yes it is seen". I hope he is a sport and brings long pants, all the same.

Sorry you received what some have called "snarky" replies.

You said DH is pretty adamant about wearing nice shorts to the MDR. You and he obviously know the rules or you wouldn't be afraid of being turned away. You just asked if anyone has seen this on the Zaandam.

To answer your question, I have not seen anyone wear shorts to the MDR on the Zaandam. On other ships, I have seen people turned away at the door for wearing shorts.

Thank you, many before you have answered that for us at this point. If you read the entire thread, you'd see that my response, several times, was one of thanks and compliance.

The reason I asked about being turned away was not, as you assumed, because we knew the rules, it was because I truly wanted clarification on "smart casual" because on 2 other cruises we took, many wore nice shorts and collared shirts in the MDR. Different line and region.

THAT is why I asked the question, no evil intent to ruin other's experience or to be rebels getting away with beating the system.

While we appreciate that most HAL cruises "follow the rules" (and we are sure none of them ever exceed the speed limit when driving) the reality is that "rules" are only as good as the willingness of staff to enforce the guidelines. At best, on our HAL cruises, the staff has always been very "uneven" on whether they enforce dress codes. It does seem that in the past couple of years the enforcement has become even more lax. I guess times are changing.

Hank

I fail to see how snarky comments are helpful, sorry. Just makes first time HAL cruisers, like us, concerned about the attitude of some of the people we may encounter. Like I said, most of the replies were really great and I believe are more representative of HAL cruisers in general.

Dress and smoking discussions seem to generate more visceral posts than do other threads. The dress code and HAL's expectations have undergone quite a change over the last few years, as have the cruise and hospitality industries as a whole, a change that some applaud and some abhor. Once aboard, there are no soapboxes and I doubt that you will encounter any hostility or negative attitudes being displayed.

My hubby is pretty adamant that he wants to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt in the evening to dinner - not formal night. We're traveling with a large group and I will be bummed if we get turned away (he could always go change I guess). This will be our first HAL cruise. Has anyone seen this on the Zaandam?

Thanks!

I have not been on the Zaandam so I can not answer.

I have seen people denied entrance to the Main Dining Room when wearing shorts on the Eurodam the and the Oosterdam.

Asked and answered.

Some advice: Carnival seems to allow pretty much any choice of clothing in its main dining room. Maybe he would be more comfortable sailing with them.

Edited by JPH814

Thank you, many before you have answered that for us at this point. If you read the entire thread, you'd see that my response, several times, was one of thanks and compliance.

The reason I asked about being turned away was not, as you assumed, because we knew the rules, it was because I truly wanted clarification on "smart casual" because on 2 other cruises we took, many wore nice shorts and collared shirts in the MDR. Different line and region.

THAT is why I asked the question, no evil intent to ruin other's experience or to be rebels getting away with beating the system.

You asked for definition of "Smart Casual" on HAL. Here it is:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside. "

As you say, different lines have different definitions.

I have not been on the Zaandam so I can not answer.

I have seen people denied entrance to the Main Dining Room when wearing shorts on the Eurodam the and the Oosterdam.

Asked and answered.

Some advice: Carnival seems to allow pretty much any choice of clothing in its main dining room. Maybe he would be more comfortable sailing with them.

Again, if you read the entire thread, I previously stated that we did cruise Carnival twice and that was our experience- thus, my question.

I have said repeatedly that we are happy to follow the rules, grateful for the generous gift of this trip, and looking forward to cruising in Alaska on HAL.

Dress and smoking discussions seem to generate more visceral posts than do other threads. The dress code and HAL's expectations have undergone quite a change over the last few years, as have the cruise and hospitality industries as a whole, a change that some applaud and some abhor. Once aboard, there are no soapboxes and I doubt that you will encounter any hostility or negative attitudes being displayed.

Thanks for your reply :)

Would this be a good time to mention that my husband loves nothing more than a good scotch and a cigar when on vacation? Lol

Thanks for your reply :)

Would this be a good time to mention that my husband loves nothing more than a good scotch and a cigar when on vacation? Lol

LOL. Love your spirit! :)

Actually, we have a balcony booked just below yours where he will sit in his boxers smoking morning, noon, and night. :)

HAL ships used to have 'cigar bars' up on the top deck (behind the Crows' Nest) with an outdoor smoking area. Alas, few took advantage...

Actually, we have a balcony booked just below yours where he will sit in his boxers smoking morning, noon, and night. :)

I love your attitude. I haven't posted until now, but the snarky and rude remarks you've gotten have pushed me into the discussion. I just wanted to let you know we aren't all like that. You have repeatedly said you are taking the advice given, and yet some just can't leave it alone. :rolleyes:

As someone else said, dress code and smoking threads seem to release the demons. :D

Thanks for the laugh!:) I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise!

I know i am persistent and i will stop after this one.

Often people believe if they say an untruth often enough it will become true - eventually people will stop correcting them.

Dress codes exist and i see the vast majority of people following them. I have seen many more people turned away for not meeting the code than permitted to enter inappropriately dressed. Saying otherwise does not make it so

Casual dress is well defined. It is clear and and shorts are not included. Saying shorts are considered casual dress does not make it so. When the definition changes, i am sure it will be communicated as well.

Those of us on Cruise critic should provide accurate information and should object when false information is provided.