First inside cabin - Will I survive?

Lsmith52

You'll never know until you try it and its only for a week. I prefer an outside cabin from obstructed view and upwards, but I would still book an inside cabin if a bargain came along, it would be better than not cruising at all. Don't worry, go and enjoy, and think how fortunate you are to be there at all.

Just curious Corfe, what device/OS/browser are you using? I am not seeing any overflow on my device (Windows 7 computer, Firefox browser). I have seen it happen before, but, not now with GUT2407's postings.:confused:

I'm using Windows 7, and seeing 4 tickers across and 1 underneath the 1st ticker. All clear and easy to read.

We will book "budget" cruises from time to time. No problem with insides. More $ spent elsewhere. I DO tend to get up and out faster than I do in balcony/suites. That can be a good thing on port days. Enjoy!!!

Never had a problem with an inside. We leave the bathroom light on. There is enough space below the door to give a glimmer in the room. Also had obstructed and normal ocean view. Just about to have our first balcony.

We have only had a balcony once. People told me that once we had one we would never cruise with an inside cabin again. They were wrong. For us, it wasn't't worth it. It was nice but not worth the extra money. I enjoy finding a different nook in which to relax, read, people watch, or just watch the waves. I can enjoy a glass of wine anywhere on the ship. It is true that the I side cabins are small. The only cruise on which I definitely should have gotten a balcony was in Alaska. My brother was on the same cruise and he had one. The view from his balcony was much better than being high up on the deck. I still say I would rather cruise more often.

We have booked mostly balcony cabins (and once I figured out the larger size balconies on C deck on many ships we picked those). We have only had a mini suite once (Panama canal-partial) and never a suite. But for two shorter (5 day) cruises to the caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale we booked inside cabins as we got great deals. I was surprised and I handled it much better than my husband did! The key was that we booked both our inside cabins close to the middle of the ship so it was easy to pop down to the atrium or up on deck to get outside. It's all up to you. I'd say try it once and see.

I have found that we are more social with fellow passengers when we sail the insides. No sense hanging out in the cabin, so we tend to find a nice spot for reading, and we seem to join onboard activities more. However, we tend to like very port-intensive cruises, so we are not ON the ship much of the time.

Bottom line--would much prefer the inside cabin to staying home!

We are also trying an inside cabin for our next cruise. We have always had balconies or mini suites but for our 19 night cruise the price is hugely different and my other half never goes on the balcony as he hates heights and nothing being in front of him. I go on the balcony because I feel I should as I have paid for it! However every time we go in the cabin the curtains are closed and we usually leave them closed so no point really in having a balcony just for me to pop my head out to see if there is anything to see.

I have limited cruise experience, but my first was a mini suite, second was a balcony, and the third was an inside. Honestly, I loved the third one so much - there was so much to do and see, friends to go hang out with - while we were on our 10 day on the Royal this past February, that I would definitely not hesitate to book one again. My fiancé has never sailed anything other than inside cabins, so for our honeymoon cruise we did splurge and book a balcony. My generally limited budget means I will pretty much always be cruising inside though, and I'm ok with that. :) I honestly liked how much darker it was at night in there, but the space was plenty big enough for us. We were hardly in the room, and when we were we were happy. We had an inside on the Marina deck too, which meant that if we wanted outside air it was a short walk up one flight of stairs to the pool decks or outrigger bar.

I went from those wonderful aft facing balconies to insides due to circumstances causing me to be a solo cruiser. I don't mind a bit! In fact, insides are great for afternoon naps on sea days. I do spend little time in the cabin-just like before. Go with an open mind and enjoy!

I have only had insides or obstructed view cabins. While I like having daylight in an oceanview, I sleep wonderfully in an inside. Definitely bring some sort of night light because the rooms are pitch dark with the lights off. I don't like to turn on the bathroom light at night because it wakes me up too much :) but small battery operated tea lights work great. It is also nice to be near the Promenade deck so I can just go down a flight and be outside. I imagine we would like a balcony but the price is usually way too high for us. We actually found on our Alaska cruise that we enjoyed so much the camaraderie of being out on the public decks that we were glad we hadn't splurged on a balcony.

We just booked our first inside cabin ever for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise for next April. We have only booked Suite/mini suite/balcony cabins in the past but decided to see if we could survive an inside cabin without killing each other. We figure the cheaper we can cruise the more often we can cruise..right? We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin usually but we do love spending time on the balcony drinking a glass or two of wine. I sure hope this works!

We took inside on our recent cruise on another line, and it was just fine. We don't spend much time in the cabin, just to sleep, shower and change, so no big deal. Just have the wine on deck, and enjoy. I like your idea of spending less and being able to cruise more.

Insides are fine. Especially if it means being on a cruise or not being on a cruise, I'd take an inside any time. We have sailed in every class of cabin. Often we spend only a few minutes on the balcony.

Analyze the difference in price. You get all the perks of cruising like other passengers--- great food, entertainment, interesting ports, meeting new friends.

Keep the inside! We know fellow cruisers who can easily afford a suite but will only sail in inside cabins. To each his own.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, those are the things I think we will miss most, but we need to see if we can do this. I read a lot of posts from people that are happy just to be sailing and that's what I am hoping to accomplish. Stay busy all day with excursions or on board activities until I am ready for bed and then head off to our cubby hole. If this is not for us then fine. At least we tried. It might mean the difference between cruising 2-3 times a year or 5-6 times a year.

Yes I thought so too (in theory). I guess I could get by with an outside if that was all that was left.

Gotta have some light. I wish you luck. It just does not work for everybody. ;)

We've managed to spend months at a time in an inside cabin without an issue, which is at first surprising because at home we have a large deck and spend a great deal of time on it in the summer evenings. It's not that we don't like sitting outside. And I do occasionally like a balcony cabin but everytime we have one I can't help but be disappointed in the small size of the balcony (and, relative to what we're used to, they are all minuscule) and the noise from the proximity of our neighbors. Last time we had one, a neighbor played music through speakers all afternoon on a sea day; the time before that, we had a family with four kids in the two cabins next to us. Except for rare exemptions; inside cabins are quiet and private and great for sleeping. Add to that the fact that we can cruise twice as long in an inside cabin as in a balcony...give me an inside cabin in a great location anytime.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I love interior rooms. I love sleeping in complete darkness....day or night. Taking a nap in the afternoon is the best and then we are ready to stay up late for all the fun! We have sailed several times and all but one time had and interior and I can't think of why I would change.

We spend very little time in our room. The promenade is our balcony! On some ships there are so few people on the promenade that is does feel like our own balcony, try it out!

Maybe one day we will try a balcony, but I don't want to love it and then go back to an interior. I figure what I don't know won't hurt me. For you it might be harder because you do know..........

Either way we spent 21 days on Med cruise in Feb in interior happy as can be and we are going on 28 day South Pacific in an interior in Oct. We're happy to be sailing!! Have fun!

I just did this with my DH a couple of months ago. We have always sailed in a balcony and do use it quite a bit. I found a great deal on a 7 day caribbean on an inside room. We booked it and both tolerated it. I was ok with it a bit more than my husband. We did miss using the balcony, but got creative with finding other spots on the ship to sit outside (loved the teak loungers on promenade aft on the Royal:)). It was also a group of ports we had already been to so we didnt miss the sail in and sail away excitement of a new port. I would consider doing it again, but won't be too quick to give up the balcony.

I also see the same thing as Corfe with Gut's post. Win7/IE9 here (yeah I know its old but the browser is locked here at work).

I see four countdown timers in the first row of this signature with one underneath the first one.

I'd rather be in an inside cabin than stay at home. That said, DH really likes to have at least an obstructed view cabin, so it's been a long time since we had an inside. When we did, the savings were substantial.

It really does depend on what you normally do on cruises. We enjoy having balconies, but the inside rooms don't bother us at all. We usually find the Promenade deck has more comfortable seating than our balcony, and it is closer to the water (which we love). We read, nap, watch people, have light conversation--then eat and go to shows. Our cabin--even when we have a balcony--is usually just a place to sleep, clean up, and keep our stuff.

Everyone should try it once. If it means you can afford 2 more cruises a year, you might find you never need a balcony again.

We just booked our first inside cabin ever for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise for next April. We have only booked Suite/mini suite/balcony cabins in the past but decided to see if we could survive an inside cabin without killing each other. We figure the cheaper we can cruise the more often we can cruise..right? We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin usually but we do love spending time on the balcony drinking a glass or two of wine. I sure hope this works!

After 30+ cruises under my belt I've stayed in inside/outside/balcony cabins and IMO if you just use your cabin to sleep, change and nap and don't spend a whole lot of time in it then save the cash and just book an inside cabin. It's really a personal preference. Sure, a balcony cabin or suite is great, but you pay a premium for the use and that adds to the cruise lines' bottom line. Try it out and if you don't like it go back to balcony cabin. On some ship if you turn on the TV there is a bridge cam and you see outside so that might let you know what the weather and sea conditions are like. You can always go up on deck with your glass of wine finder a lounger and watch the ocean go by.

Edited by COMBOY

I agree that an inside cabin won't kill you. We always book insides and are still breathing.

As for light & air, the ship has many places that are outdoors. You can usually find a quiet corner someplace to sit and relax (they have chairs and tables too). You can drink wine and enjoy the free air.

On our first cruise my mother took an inside as a single passenger and was upgraded to a caribe balcony. We used it a few times, but it was "OK". I do know I would not pay for that privilege.

I say give it a shot. You don't have much to loose.