Broading for elderly with hip problem.

travelbug2225

My mom is 75 years old and have problem with her knees and hip. She not on a wheelchair but if she stand or walk for a long time she will be in pain. 6 years ago it took over an hour in line before we get to broad the ship in Vancouver.

I am not sure if that normal.

This August we will broad the cruise in Whittier. It will be very hard for her if she have to stand in line that long. Any special request we can do with Princess? We will take a shuttle from Anchorage to Whittier and will be arrive there around 3 pm. I am not sure how long is the line will be.

1. There will be wheel chairs and attendants available for boarding. You might want to contact Princess to put in your request.

2. Since you are boarding in Whittier mid-afternoon, there shouldn't be a line at all. Many are coming on the train from the land tour that arrives late in the afternoon/early evening.

3. I know that you can rent a scooter and it will be delivered to the ship. Not sure how you go about doing that.

We would suggest that you buy her a walker. We did that for my 88 year old Mom for our upcoming Alaska cruise. It can be used as seat when having to wait in lines. If a wheelchair is not a necessity we think that the walker idea is a good solution.

Princess has staff assigned with wheelchairs to assist in boarding and also disembarking. Depending on the tides sometimes the angle of the gangway can be steep. Suggest you call Princess and ask how to arrange for this. At ports of call Princess also has staff with wheelchairs the assist in getting off and back onto the ship. Inquire while on board. Also think a "walker" with a seat is a good idea for onboard. Sometimes the ship has lots of movement and balance can be an issue. There are also venues and activities on the ship where seating may be difficult, for example scenic viewing of glaciers. The "walker" with a seat would be very handy to have.

Definitely let Princess know that you will need a wheelchair for boarding. It will make it so much easier for your Mom. Princess has staff waiting to help passengers board via wheelchair. While on board a cane or walker would be helpful.

Always ask for help. Enjoy the cruise.

Definitely let Princess know that you will need a wheelchair for boarding. It will make it so much easier for your Mom. Princess has staff waiting to help passengers board via wheelchair. While on board a cane or walker would be helpful.

Always ask for help. Enjoy the cruise.

Also, use the service for disembarkation.

I'm of that age. I have a rollater walker, that's the one with four wheels and a seat. I HIGHLY recommend that you don't get one of those with only two wheels in front and slides in the back. The seat will allow her to rest whenever she needs to. This however does not imply/suggest you not use the wheelchair service for boarding or getting off.

I've been using a three-wheel walker that folds side-to-side and is essy to get in and out of elevators as it is then about 8" wide. Since I have a LOT of trouble with stairs, I have to get to the theater very early to get one of the few seats above the stairs. I just ordered a 4 wheel rollator walker with a seat that will fold side-to-side, taking about 10" width when folded. This way I hope to be more independent and still not take too much space.

I've been using a three-wheel walker that folds side-to-side and is essy to get in and out of elevators as it is then about 8" wide. Since I have a LOT of trouble with stairs, I have to get to the theater very early to get one of the few seats above the stairs. I just ordered a 4 wheel rollator walker with a seat that will fold side-to-side, taking about 10" width when folded. This way I hope to be more independent and still not take too much space.

This last sounds excellent, maybe I can skip the wheelchair for excursions, (we have no tender ports), and it would be lighter and take up less room in the transport. Where did you order it, please?

Also, really do need the wheelchair assist for embarkation and disembarkation. Princess requests that you let them know at least several weeks prior to your voyage so they can plan to have enough attendants on hand. That helps all of us ;)

Edited by kcfoxy

My mom will be 90 in Oct. Her knees are bad so we have a "transport Chair" . It is a lightweight portable (folds down smaller for airplane, etc.) wheelchair. We wheel her on board and all around the ship including ports. Pushes very easy and was only 99.00.

Thank you. I login and request a wheelchair for embark and disembark.

Will they take her to the room? In case the line is long. Will they allow me to broad with her? She does not speak English. I need to be with her.

Wheelchairs usually are or close to the first group boarding.

Yes you could board with her.

Remember that once onboard there are a few wheelchairs available but they won't loan them out usually, but if she needs one for the cruise then you need to rent one and they will deliver/pickup from the ship. ;)

Definitely use a wheelchair for embarkation. You said you are taking a transfer and will arrive about 3 in the afternoon? Boarding in Whittier is so staggered but if a couple of transfer groups arrive at the same time, it might be a bit of a wait. They will take her to the stateroom and you will be able to stay with her through the entire process.

Also your cabin steward will want to know if she requires special assistance in the event of an emergency, the answer if yes. If she doesn't carry a cane, she should at least do that. She should be entitled to handicapped considerations while on board. This is particularly helpful when it comes to muster drill and some entertainment venues. The distances on the ships can be tiring....and stair in entertainment venues a bit daunting,

Also make sure to request the wheelchair for disembarking. Again you will be with her for the entire process.

Edited by ggprincess2004

This last sounds excellent, maybe I can skip the wheelchair for excursions, (we have no tender ports), and it would be lighter and take up less room in the transport. Where did you order it, please?

Also, really do need the wheelchair assist for embarkation and disembarkation. Princess requests that you let them know at least several weeks prior to your voyage so they can plan to have enough attendants on hand. That helps all of us ;)

I'm losing height so wanted a shorter one and found it at HME Medical Shop. Otherwise just Google 4 wheel rollator Nitro.

More "to keep in mind" thoughts:

Disembarkation is simple yet more complicated.

Do you need to catch a plane? Allow plenty of time to get off the ship. There will be many passengers who need assistance. They all need to take an elevator to where they are going (baggage). I am guessing the ship is taking you back to Vancouver. I am not sure they will wheel you all the way out to the taxi stand. Someone on this thread will probably have an answer to this.

I have slightly bad knees and take a foldable cane with me. A "third" leg sure comes in handy sometimes. Think Tripod. (from wheelchair to dining table in rough seas)...etc

There are handicap seatings in the theater. Entrance on Deck 7. (stage on deck 6). If you need to be closer, enter on deck 6, but she will have to climb some stairs.

Go to Muster early to assure yourself a seat and use of elevators to get to the muster station. Sit and be patient until everyone else has left. Then you won't have any trouble getting an elevator.

If your dining room is the aft deck 6 dining room, there are only 2 outside (of the 4) elevators that will take you to that deck. Generally the forward and aft elevators are faster than the center ones.