Nervous about getting pool chairs

Baileyjojo

I'm sailing Breakaway this Sunday. I'm freaking out a little. From what I read it seems like it's so hard to get pool chairs unless you wake up at the crack of dawn. I am on vacation and don't want to be stressed out.. Please tell me I will be ok!

Edited by Baileyjojo

I'm sailing Breakaway this Sunday. I'm freaking out a little. From what I read it seems like it's so hard to get pool chairs unless you wake up at the crack of dawn. I am on vacation and don't want to be stressed out.. Please tell me I will be ok!

If you really need to ask the question, you may not be ok. :)

I'll be on the Breakaway with you next week. If a given area is mobbed, I'll either enjoy the opportunity to people-watch or continue exploring the ship until I find an area to my liking.

That's the beauty of these large ships. If you can't find an area that's perfect for you, the problem may not be the ship's fault.

Let's go have some fun!

Doug

Whether or not this is a problem depends on how flexible you are and how many people are in your party. If you are looking for 4 chairs together, it may be difficult to find them in a prime location later in the morning. Similarly, if you only want chairs right in front of the pool, that may also be a problem. But if you are willing to go away from the immediate pool area, you are more likely to find what you are looking for.

Don't stress too much. Just go with the flow and have a great trip.

I'll also add... a recent review off of the Breakaway suggested doing the opposite of the masses to avoid crowding issues. Specific to pool chairs, the review stated that their group headed to the pool in the late afternoon and were able to find chairs that were abandoned by those done for the day.

If daytime chairs are important to you... it seems the routine is to get up before 8, claim your chairs, and return later.

On an older post, you were clear you didn't want to roast in the sun:confused: Pool chairs are in the sun;)

I'm not sure if this is your first cruise, but this kind of behavior has become commonplace on cruises (as well as pretty much any place that has a pool, be it on a cruise ship or not).

On the Breakaway there are a limited amount of chairs that are in the sun and right next to the pool. If you desire one of those chairs, then yeah you'll probably want to get up early, but overall there are plenty of chairs as long as you don't mind not being right next to the pool.

A common cruise complaint is that the pools are too small and crowded, but for a ship to be stable it needs a low center of gravity. There's only so much (heavy, moving) water that you can put on top of a boat.

Why would you want to be in the mob all crowded around the main pool? Go up to the sundeck near the bow on the port side deck 17. You'll be able to get a lounger there and you'll have the same views as the people in Vibe on the starboard side. There is also a bar up there. Spice h2o is more lively but more crowded. Also don't forget the waterfront on deck 8. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If daytime chairs are important to you... it seems the routine is to get up before 8, claim your chairs, and return later.

Or get up before 8, claim your chairs, and stay in them until you are finished. That's what I do, and that's what anyone needs to do if they are going to be picky about location. I am picky about location, and so I do what I need to in order to get the space I want.

I don't feel badly for people who choose to sleep in and then can't get a good spot. We can't all have our cake and eat it too.

Amazing, someone is getting ready to take an awesome vacation and they are worried about getting pool chairs? Well, if this is bothering you, I hope you are prepared to get up and enjoy the sun by 8am. Yes,like all ships and many resorts, there are more demands for chairs and lounges than are available. So, what do you do? You go to an upper deck, overlooking the pool area of like, I said, you get up early.

all you are going to get, from grabbing a chair early is one heck of a sunburn. By the second or third day on all cruises, we see people walking around that make us sore just looking at them. All this does is lead to early wrinkling, aging and a heck of a lot of skin cancer. Your demotologist might love you, if you are lucky enough to find a spot by the pool!!!

Edited by newmexicoNita

I will be on the Breakaway this Sunday too. I have been in the Haven my last two cruises and really didn't have to worry about finding a nice lounge chair. This cruise I am not in the Haven and do not plan on getting up early to find a lounge chair. I am not picky and do not need to be in the busy pool area and will go up to deck 16 to find a spot. However, if I notice that there are chairs that have been "chair hogged" with towels and nobody has been in them for a while I will move the items and take that chair. It is fine if people get up early and sit in the chairs, but getting up at 6 am and putting your things on the chair does not, in my opinion, entitle that chair to you for the entire day.

Personally I like to find a "quiet spot" on the ship for sunbathing, and that is NOT around the pool area. Just do your "research" on embarkation day by walking around the ship, and you will see that there are plenty of sunbeds around - even in "hidden places"....

If you want a sunbed in front of the pool itself, the best chance of doing that is on any port day - as long as you return to the ship earlier than the "masses".

And that is exactly why it is so hard to get chairs. People "claim" them and then leave.

You will find plenty of chairs with no one in them and just towels left on them.

Simply throw the towels in the return and enjoy your seat.

You will find plenty of chairs with no one in them and just towels left on them.

Too many people are too scared to do this. But if more did the problem would disappear.

I would ask around to see if anyone knows how long the seat has been empty before removing a towel. It might be someone just running to the bathroom, or off to grab a drink then return momentarily. In those cases, the one who tossed the towels in the return is the jerkoff.

Haven't been on NCL enough to notice, but do they have the rule that CCL does about chairs? After 40 minutes if no one has used the chair, the deck crew removes any items on the chair to allow someone else to sit there?

I would ask around to see if anyone knows how long the seat has been empty before removing a towel. It might be someone just running to the bathroom, or off to grab a drink then return momentarily. In those cases, the one who tossed the towels in the return is the jerkoff.

It is pretty easy to tell chairs that are being used and the occupant is getting a drink, in the pool or at the restroom.

I have done this at least 20 times and never, not once has a person ever came up to me to try and claim the chair, and most times we would be in the chairs 2 to 5 hours.

Or it could be the person sitting next to the chair with the unused towel is a friend saving the lounge chair for the last 3 hours, at which point I would have no trouble throwing the towel in the bin and claiming the chair for myself!

That is a good way to lose your chair. I am one of the folks up at the crack of dawn .. and I gladly point out chairs that have been unoccupied to those looking for one.

You need to make sure the chair is not an occupied chair, or you may end up dumped out of it onto the pool deck!

It is perfectly acceptable for folks to use the restroom, get a drink, etc. I believe the posted rule is 30 minutes.

I find a chair with one flip flop on it is a safe bet.

That is a good way to lose your chair. I am one of the folks up at the crack of dawn .. and I gladly point out chairs that have been unoccupied to those looking for one.
Yep, that's exactly what I do. There are always people wandering around looking, and I'll always tell them, "Those 4 over there have been empty for 2 hours" or whatever. I've helped many people get good spots. :D

The dailies on our last cruises said staff could remove things after 1 hour, I believe. To me, that's a little long. I think 30 minutes is better. That still gives time to run to the buffet to grab a quick bite, or else cool off in the pool, and get back to your spot.

I generally "claim" my chair around 7am. At about 8, I might get up and go grab a quick bite to eat, then return in 20 or 30 minutes. By 11 or noon, I am packed up and moving on to other things, so prime spot opens up for the lazies just getting out of bed. :p