Help me find a Miami hotel area pre-cruise!

bzzltyr

Hello,

We are cruising on the Escape to start January. We've never been to Miami before and are landing thursday night so that we can check out the area a bit all day friday. We won't bother renting a car, so I'm looking for something either on a beach or a fun/safe part of downtown where we can walk to different restaurants, etc. I'm not as concerned being super close to the cruise port, as I'd like to have a fun day in the city or on the beach and would take a slightly longer cab ride to do that.

So not knowing the city at all does anyone have any recommendations that might work? Thanks!

I like to stay at THE COLONY on Ocean Drive...it is not fancy but the location can't be beat....it is on the main strip, the beach is right there, the nightlife is all around you and you can walk to everything. Again, it is not fancy but the location is amazing.

http://www.colonymiami.com/

Edited by tlreze

Hello,

We are cruising on the Escape to start January. We've never been to Miami before and are landing thursday night so that we can check out the area a bit all day friday. We won't bother renting a car, so I'm looking for something either on a beach or a fun/safe part of downtown where we can walk to different restaurants, etc. I'm not as concerned being super close to the cruise port, as I'd like to have a fun day in the city or on the beach and would take a slightly longer cab ride to do that.

So not knowing the city at all does anyone have any recommendations that might work? Thanks!

Nice hotel, nice area

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miamj-jw-marriott-marquis-miami/

Hello,

We like the area designated as "downtown". There is an elevated rail that makes a continuous loop with several stops. We usually stay at the Hilton and it is walking distance to Bayside Marketplace which is on the boat harbor and has many shops, resturants and water tours which leave from the area. Also can walk to sports arena in case there is a basketball game, and once we caught a show at the Adrienne Arshdt Performing Arts Center which is about a half block from the hotel. About a 5 min taxi ride to the port.

Hello,

We have done the JW Marriott and the Intercontinental a few times and like the Intercontinental a bit more.....closer to Bayside for boat tours, shopping and restaurants.....only a block away and therefore an easy walk...but both of these choices are not cheap.....

I also had such a time looking at maps, etc. when planning our first trip out of Miami in years....but we are not accustomed to the Intercontinental and it works for us.

Definitely recommend South Beach area over on Miami Beach. If you want to stay near downtown and the port, try the Hampton Inn Brickell. It's just a block from the (free) Metromover, the elevated train that does the entire downtown area in a loop. Or the Intercontinental or YVE hotels on Biscayne Blvd, next to Bayfront Park and Bayside. Just remember, January is snowbird season (people from the north getting away from the snow). Miami Beach and downtown Miami will have lots of people and lots of traffic.

Definitely recommend South Beach area over on Miami Beach. If you want to stay near downtown and the port, try the Hampton Inn Brickell. It's just a block from the (free) Metromover, the elevated train that does the entire downtown area in a loop. Or the Intercontinental or YVE hotels on Biscayne Blvd, next to Bayfront Park and Bayside. Just remember, January is snowbird season (people from the north getting away from the snow). Miami Beach and downtown Miami will have lots of people and lots of traffic.

Yes, and hotel prices are sky high in Jauary. South Beach is über expensive. Probably $600 to $1200 per night. Even downtown Miami is in the $300 range. Just take a taxi to South Beach, enjoy, and save some cash.

I would find something downtown.

Hotels that come to mind include:

Intercontinental

Hampton Inn

Marriott Marquis

Marriott

Hyatt

Holiday Inn Bayside

Conrad Hilton

I am providing several choices so you can consider prices.

From any of them you can walk to shopping and restaurants.

I like Mary Brickell Village for Restaurants in the downtown area.

You can take a taxi from any of them over to South Beach and the taxi fare will range from $25.00 to $35.00 each say depending on where you stay.

Keith