3. At sea

4. Antigua

5. Barbados

6. St. Lucia

7. St. Kitts

8. St. Thomas

9. At sea

10. Princess cays

However, due to the amount of days and work, I have never made any reservation.

Looking for a cruise for the month of November, I came across HAL 8 day eastern itinerary, which is not as nice as Princess’ but it’s still extremely exciting, it’s also an 8 day and about $700 cheaper . Since the price was so good, I went ahead and booked it taking advantage of the great sale.

Everything was perfectly stable. We were already making tour reservations, began doing our cruise search and getting excited about our HAL cruise when my sister just surprised us with her pregnancy, and her due-date, which coincides with our HAL sailing date. Since my mom will be taking care of the house, my dogs and also my sister’s dogs during her labor, I do not want to take a cruise and leave my mom with so many responsibilities plus my sister’s.

So, I might have to cancel HAL itinerary, which is absolutely unique (because it won’t be repeated by the cruiseline).

Since my Bday is the month of October, I have googled all October Caribbean cruises and came across Princess’ original itinerary. I have 2 options, cancel HAL and go with Princess or leave everything as it is (since my payment with HAL is not until Sept 15)… if any of you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Well, if I were in your shoes, I would probably cancel the HAL cruise and book with Princess in October. The preferred cruise of the two is the Princess cruise, right? Then go celebrate your birthday with the cruise that you really want. Then you ease the workload on your mother, and you're home when the baby is born.

Alternatively, if the 8 days is better than the 10 days away and the funds saved mean keeping the original booking with HAL, then try to find someone else to look after the house and dogs. Maybe you can find a young adult who hasn't been on their own and who is responsible to housesit for you.

Forget the implications for a second and decide which cruise you would really prefer. Having made that choice, see if you can make it happen. If the extra cost and extra days off can be accommodated, go for Princess. If you can't squeeze out the extra couple of days, I like Alberta Quilter's suggestion of using some of the $700 saved to get a dog/house sitter.

I'd go for the Princess if at all possible.

Is her due date the beginning of your expected travel or the end?

First babies are often late. Maybe?

Is there no one else who could give your Mom at least a little help?

Does your B-I-L/her partner have any family that could help?

Edited by sail7seas

I've been going back and forth between Princess cruises and HAL crusies and while both are nice, I've been more impressed with our recent HAL cruises than our recent Princess ones. Also, $700 is $700!

If it were me, I would take the HAL cruise in November (better time to travel, weatherwise, in the Caribbean than October). You have time to work out dog/house sitters before then if you don't think your mom can handle it.

Is her due date the beginning of your expected travel or the end?

First babies are often late. Maybe?

Is there no one else who could give your Mom at least a little help?

Does your B-I-L/her partner have any family that could help?

Sail7seas: Her due date is the same day we come back from our cruise. I would like to be here for her since I like to help out my mom; and the hospital is 1 hr away. My mother says to wait til payment due date, which is sept 15 and see if there are any news, or changes.

Aquahond: I did see Oosterdam itineraries. Loved them both, but we've visited all ports from the 10 day and the 11 day is a possibility.

Fouremco & Alberta: I think I am leaning towards what you are saying. Seems to be the right option right now. Again, payment due date for HAL is sept 15, so that will give time for 1 more ultrasound (perhaps any changes??).

Thank you all !!!

And not to upset anyone, but I've seen way too many preemies to know that plans can change 6-8 weeks before the due date, and should that be the case, it will be imperative your mother be available. I would vote for taking the cruise you really want, when you want it, and either 1-free up your mother from all responsibility while you're gone and find some one else, or 2- have a plan for a second person that can step in should your mom have to move quickly to your sister's side. We know that ship happens.. plan for the worst case scenario and everyone will breathe easier.

Good luck with whatever decision!

Liz

Years ago, I had a work-related trip that I could not reschedule around the time my sister was due to give birth. My older nephews’ due dates were near our anniversary, and I was able to reschedule vacation plans to make sure we would be there for those dates. But I could not re-schedule the work trip. Many babies are late, but some are early. The timing is completely out of your control and your mom’s advice sounds wise. I agree with those who say the way to determine what to do is to ask yourself if you miss this occasion, will you regret it? Only you can answer that. My nephew arrived in this world the day before I returned. All these years later, I still wish I had been there when he was born. But I can’t change it, and I’m there for him now.

I hope you find peace making the best decision for you and wish you all the best!

Personally, I'd make arrangements to board my dogs at sleep-away camp (also known as the vet's kennel), and take the HAL cruise.

As wonderful as it would be to be there at the birth of your niece/nephew those things cannot be scheduled and chances are you'd be in a waiting room anyway. I am sure your sister will understand that you have to live your life and that this opportunity meant a lot to you.

And you can pick up a great welcome baby gift along the journey.

Personally, I'd make arrangements to board my dogs at sleep-away camp (also known as the vet's kennel), and take the HAL cruise.

As wonderful as it would be to be there at the birth of your niece/nephew those things cannot be scheduled and chances are you'd be in a waiting room anyway. I am sure your sister will understand that you have to live your life and that this opportunity meant a lot to you.

And you can pick up a great welcome baby gift along the journey.

I like this answer. I was in Australia when my sister had her only baby. Yes, I wish I had been there but she had many supports and it was really about me. I met my nephew the next day and it was every bit as magical as if I had been there first day!