Verizon hot spot on Royal Caribbean

Is Royal Caribbean set up on internet to block other access. We have Verizon hot spot we can use in port on New England days for no charge but someone told me that you have to use theirs. I can use 4G network too but don't need to pay $20 a day with the hot spot!

Thanks!

Is Royal Caribbean set up on internet to block other access. We have Verizon hot spot we can use in port on New England days for no charge but someone told me that you have to use theirs. I can use 4G network too but don't need to pay $20 a day with the hot spot!

Thanks!

When the ship is in port, they turn off their cellular service, so you should have no interference from the ship while in port.

So you want to use your VZW 4G phone (or Jet Pack) on the land-based cellular network to provide yourself a Wifi hot-spot? RCCL would not block that. At least in the USA, it is illegal to block other's wireless signals (4G or Wifi). You may not get a good signal due to all the steel in the ship, but they can't do anything to actively block it.

Last year on the Oasis, we were delayed the last morning two hours for a search (no one found). We needed to rebook our flights, so while sailing off the coast near Miami (ship's cellular still on), I turned off roaming while still at sea.

The Verizon signal worked fine and I took care of everything without roaming charges.