Explore 4 not a bargain?

blizzardboy

per cabin, 14 day Collector on the Koningsdam Jan 08, 2017

We booked that cruise too, waiting because we knew it would have the Explore 4. Then we saw the price increase :eek: it went up $530/pp. Our PCC gave us the old price, we don't need Explore 4 this time. :D

I monitored the rates for my desired cruise (we would like to do a TA in spring) for nearly a half year.

We are open for any cruiseline and flexible in date.

The offer of HAL Oosterdam was really good - and now they added the Explorer 4 - so it was more than good. And I am really not a "drinker" - most time I stay with soda or water. I doubt, if I am able to drink 10 beverages at one day of the trip.

But - it is valid for coffee and espresso (that is a big big plus!) and for water bottles (1 liter) too.

And we are on a transatlantic - 13 days onboard, many see days - a lot of time onboard - a lot of time to consume anything!

So it is a very very good deal for us.

Here's a heads-up regarding the Oosterdam T/A on 03/21/16. I received a brochure from HA and that showed explore4 rates of $899 for int., $1099 for ocean view obstructed and $1099 for a verandah as well. I went to the web site and the rates shown were $949 for an int., $999 for an ocean view obstructed and a whopping $1399 for a verandah! I spoke with an HA rep and he couldn't find the lower price. I kept pressing, gave him the number on the brochure and after he consulted with a supervisor, I was given the brochure rate of $1099 for a VF verandah. FYI it was mailing #HAL15173US.

Here's a heads-up regarding the Oosterdam T/A on 03/21/16. I received a brochure from HA and that showed explore4 rates of $899 for int., $1099 for ocean view obstructed and $1099 for a verandah as well. I went to the web site and the rates shown were $949 for an int., $999 for an ocean view obstructed and a whopping $1399 for a verandah! I spoke with an HA rep and he couldn't find the lower price. I kept pressing, gave him the number on the brochure and after he consulted with a supervisor, I was given the brochure rate of $1099 for a VF verandah. FYI it was mailing #HAL15173US.

The only problem with giving out this code is it will frustrate many because that code is actually linked to a group of mariner numbers. It is possible that someone in your household got that direct mail piece other than yourself which is why they could not find it to begin with for you? At any rate from experience I am pretty sure that not everyone that wants this particular sailing and sees the rate code will be able to get that price. Just saying so not to upset others.

I have been told there are lots of mailings going out right now to Non Star and one star Mariners offering some great deals. A Non Star Mariner is someone that has registered with Holland America's Website or a sister line. There are a lot of snail mail and emails going out to many that signed up with different variations of their own name so not to be linked to their current Mariner. Which assigns them prospect numbers which appear like a non star Mariner number. So just a warning that if your real number and name is not on the email they will not give you that pricing. Although I have seen them bend when snail mail brochures have come in for ANOTHER family member registered in the same household address. But definitely not with emails.

If there is ever a special pricing you qualify for it will automatically come up when a HAL agent or TA uses your Mariner correct number. 99% of the time the special pricing is for 1 and 2 star Mariners, once in a great while 3 star and sadly rarely 4 and 5 star.

The only problem with giving out this code is it will frustrate many because that code is actually linked to a group of mariner numbers. It is possible that someone in your household got that direct mail piece other than yourself which is why they could not find it to begin with for you? At any rate from experience I am pretty sure that not everyone that wants this particular sailing and sees the rate code will be able to get that price. Just saying so not to upset others.

I have been told there are lots of mailings going out right now to Non Star and one star Mariners offering some great deals. A Non Star Mariner is someone that has registered with Holland America's Website or a sister line. There are a lot of snail mail and emails going out to many that signed up with different variations of their own name so not to be linked to their current Mariner. Which assigns them prospect numbers which appear like a non star Mariner number. So just a warning that if your real number and name is not on the email they will not give you that pricing. Although I have seen them bend when snail mail brochures have come in for ANOTHER family member registered in the same household address. But definitely not with emails.

If there is ever a special pricing you qualify for it will automatically come up when a HAL agent or TA uses your Mariner correct number. 99% of the time the special pricing is for 1 and 2 star Mariners, once in a great while 3 star and sadly rarely 4 and 5 star.

Yes, that could cause some frustration but I say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. We have friends who receive lots of offers from several cruise lines and when they see a good deal, they let us know. We just call, tell the story and we usually get the rate. I can count on 2 fingers the times we have been unsuccessful. This particular mailing had my info on it and I logged in to book but the brochure price wasn't linked to my account. So yes, your experience may vary, but I would still call and press the issue. It's a $600 difference per stateroom so go for it. You may get lucky.

Does the Beverage package that is included with the Explore 4 Promo. include specialty coffees and soda? Or is it just alcoholic drinks, beer, wine by the glass, etc.

Any beverage that's less than $7 menu price, including water, coffee, sports drinks, etc.

Does the Beverage package that is included with the Explore 4 Promo. include specialty coffees and soda? Or is it just alcoholic drinks, beer, wine by the glass, etc.

It definitely covers specialty coffees and soda.

In addition, it covers large bottles of spring water offered at bars throughout the ship. This is significant because the same bottle of water in your cabin will cost you $4, because in room bar drinks are not covered under the beverage package. So go to a bar, get a bottle, and bring it back to your room.

(for those of you wondering why you would waste a drink credit on water, remember: you get 15 drink credits per person per day. As much as I tried - and I tried - I could not use more than 12 of mine)

We had the explore 4 for our 14 night 9/14 Prinsendam cruise and loved the ability to try some new alcoholic drinks and special coffees. We got it for no added cost. So in Nov. we booked a 15 night 1/16 cruise with the Signature Beverage card. We were happy with the booking until I got a private sale email this week (we are 3 star Mariners). After calling we ended up losing the beverage package and $200 OBC from TA based on price of cruise but saved $1880. We definitely will end up saving as neither will consume that many drinks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree. The Signature Beverage Package is a great deal, especially if it's included in your cabin price. Most cocktails and beers are available for $7 or under. The people who enjoy wines, especially reds, are the ones getting the shaft with SBP. Only very mediocre house wines are included at $7. That's probably why, in the new Explore-4, starting on July 20, the wine allowance has been bumped up to $8. I was told by Ship's Services that there have been many complaints about the number of decent wines available with the SBP. I have heard reports that some ships will allow you to charge $7 for a better wine to your SBP, and they hit your cabin account for the difference. HAL says that is not allowed, but some posters say it happens. Because the Explore-4 promotion is an ongoing perk, you would think that cruises that booked before July 20, that included Explore-4 and the SBP would be grandfathered up to the $8 wine allowance. It would be the decent thing for HAL to do.

You mention that explore 4 begins in July, but we are on a 14 day Caribbean Nov. 15 & there is no Explore 4 for our sailing, which LAFFNVEGAS confirmed to me.. DH & I usually have a drink in the Crows nest around 3 or 4 in the afternoon & instead of wine at night I usually have a Bailey's in my coffee..

Lisa DH & I are 4 star & we just received the HAL Mailing15173 in yesterday's mail.. We booked or Nov. 2015 cruise on July 7, 2015...

Don't quite understand how others can get the Explore 4, but there is no Explore 4 on any of the Fall Caribbean cruises.. Of course the most I drink is one in the afternoon & my Baily's in my coffee, & DH will have a drink in the afternoon & order a bottle of wine which lasts him several days for dinner, so obviously we don't need a drink package...

But we have Friends who might go with us for Thanksgiving week (we'll know the end of August) & I'm sure they would enjoy a drink package.. They were on the Noordam once before with us..

Edited by serendipity1499

You mention that explore 4 begins in July, but we are on a 14 day Caribbean Nov. 15 & there is no Explore 4 for our sailing, which LAFFNVEGAS confirmed to me.. DH & I usually have a drink in the Crows nest around 3 or 4 in the afternoon & instead of wine at night I usually have a Bailey's in my coffee..

Lisa DH & I are 4 star & we just received the HAL Mailing15173 in yesterday's mail.. We booked or Nov. 2015 cruise on July 7, 2015...

Don't quite understand how others can get the Explore 4, but there is no Explore 4 on any of the Fall Caribbean cruises.. Of course the most I drink is one in the afternoon & my Baily's in my coffee, & DH will have a drink in the afternoon & order a bottle of wine which lasts him several days for dinner, so obviously we don't need a drink package...

But we have Friends who might go with us for Thanksgiving week (we'll know the end of August) & I'm sure they would enjoy a drink package.. They were on the Noordam once before with us..

Betty, I am not aware of anyone getting the Explore4 on Fall cruises either unless they booked with the 2014 Explore4. The soonest any are starting under the current promotion is for Holiday sailings for 2015.