First Cruise--room under the MDR--How bad is it??

So, we're sailing on Grandeur of the Seas in just 15 days!! I booked directly through Royal and had absolutely no clue what I was doing, but the girl I was working with seemed to be great. Now, I'm getting a little nervous. Looking at the deck plans, it looks like we're under the MDR on deck 3 ...so my question is--will there be a lot of noises coming from upstairs or am I getting nervous for no reason? I'm a go with the flow kind of person, so really this is probably not a make or break kind of thing anyway, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!!

So, we're sailing on Grandeur of the Seas in just 15 days!! I booked directly through Royal and had absolutely no clue what I was doing, but the girl I was working with seemed to be great. Now, I'm getting a little nervous. Looking at the deck plans, it looks like we're under the MDR on deck 3 ...so my question is--will there be a lot of noises coming from upstairs or am I getting nervous for no reason? I'm a go with the flow kind of person, so really this is probably not a make or break kind of thing anyway, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!!

There will only be noise during meal hours, and even then, the MDR is carpeted, so that will attenuate the noise. Under the MDR is far better than under the galley.

So not true!!! We had a JS once on Majesty under the WJ. The noise all night long as they cleaned was unbelievable!!! We had no sleep the entire time

On Vision, we had Deck 3 OV under the main dining rooms and the same thing. All night long cleaner. We spent the entire 3 nights with no sleep

We cruise A LOT!!! I will NEVER book another cabin that is below any type of dining. The noise is horrid!!!!

Edited by karena1

So not true!!! We had a JS once on Majesty under the WJ. The noise all night long as they cleaned was unbelievable!!! We had no sleep the entire time

On Vision, we had Deck 3 OV under the main dining rooms and the same thing. All night long cleaner. We spent the entire 3 nights with no sleep

We cruise A LOT!!! I will NEVER book another cabin that is below any type of dining. The noise is horrid!!!!

We really agree w/ Karena1 regarding under the Windjammer but under the MDR not so much. I would maybe suggest that Karena1 may have just happened to be on the cruise when they were shampooing the MDR carpets. There really is no traffic in the MDR except at meal times; and then not so much at Bkfst and Lunch.:)

Guest maddycat

Bring ear plugs, just in case. You can buy them at most drug stores. In the future book a cabin with cabins above and below.

you can never know until you go. we once had a JS that should have been perfectly quiet but we happened to be right over one of the lifeboats they were using to tender. The mechanical noise woke us up bright and early in every tender port.

I appreciate the insight. Hopefully we'll luck out and only have noise during dinner hours!!

I'm a horrible sleeper all around anyway, so I don't really expect to sleep well regardless... and my husband can sleep anywhere-- through anything. BUT, I'll be on a cruise ship, in Bermuda, away from work and all the rest of the world's problems (and God love them, away from my kiddos too!!) so a little extra noise will be tolerable. I will be sure to grab some ear plugs just in case. I did download a sound machine app on my phone too--but it might be more annoying than helpful!!

We were under the galley of the MDR one time. Some of the food carts weren't anchored and were rolling back and forth all night long. I did sleep, but not nearly as good as I usually do on a ship. Didn't ruin my cruise, just a little annoying. This was on the Enchantment.

Gwen ☺

Thanks!!

That is not a very good idea , CHANGE IT!!!!!

I appreciate the insight. Hopefully we'll luck out and only have noise during dinner hours!!

!!

I would imagine that if there is any noise, that it will be the same for all three meal, not just around dinner time.

Good luck,

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Well you've now had replies that say NEVER go there, and others that say it will be fine. So who knows:D I know we've booked our first "famous large aft" cabin on 10 on Adventure and it will be under Windjammer. I'm not worried about it at all. Good reviews, bad reviews, whatever:)

Lots of people will not agree................ But I have to admit all of our cruises have been on 7-9 no where near any dining venues.

Edited by bouhunter