Current Internet prices on Westerdam

frankc98376

We all know HAL loves to "play with" Internet pricing. One week per minute, next week unlimited.

Anyone been on Westerdam recently and can share current pricing and packages offered? I know a the beginning of the season was pretty reasonable for unlimited- priced by speed desired.

Good morning,

DH and I were on the Westerdam July 11-18th and I got internet. I can't find my paper with the breakdown but I paid $60.00 for unlimited use suitable for checking email, surfing the web, etc. It was a bit cheaper if you just wanted it for social media sites and more expensive if you were planning to stream video, Skype, etc. I think the top price was $90.00 and the lower was something like $30-40. I found the speed to be fine (for a cruise ship) and it was nice to not have to worry about using up minutes. You could do more than one device as long as you were only logged on to one at a time. For instance I'd be on my laptop to check email then log off and later do my Kindle to update the 7 Little Words game. If I forgot to log off the device would let me know I was already logged on elsewhere.

Karen

Good morning,

DH and I were on the Westerdam July 11-18th and I got internet. I can't find my paper with the breakdown but I paid $60.00 for unlimited use suitable for checking email, surfing the web, etc. It was a bit cheaper if you just wanted it for social media sites and more expensive if you were planning to stream video, Skype, etc. I think the top price was $90.00 and the lower was something like $30-40. I found the speed to be fine (for a cruise ship) and it was nice to not have to worry about using up minutes. You could do more than one device as long as you were only logged on to one at a time. For instance I'd be on my laptop to check email then log off and later do my Kindle to update the 7 Little Words game. If I forgot to log off the device would let me know I was already logged on elsewhere.

Karen

Thanks Karen!

Good morning,

Karen

Those are great prices for 7 days unlimited. Do they have adequate information posted to help you select the level you want?

Those are great prices for 7 days unlimited. Do they have adequate information posted to help you select the level you want?

We had a sheet provided in our cabin detailing the different levels. And if you missed that, when you first log on to the internet the information is there, too.

We had a sheet provided in our cabin detailing the different levels. And if you missed that, when you first log on to the internet the information is there, too.

Thanks Lizzie.

This was the sheet given for the San Diego to Vancouver segment of the cruise on the Westerdam3a6292720012e194b4f776de34cc6c8f.jpg

Very helpful. Thanks so much. I wonder why checking e-mail is more expensive those sites listed in the Social Plan? Maybe because it's easier to control/limit access to the sites listed in the Social Plan vs. the many known/common and unknown sites individuals use for e-mail?

Edited by qsuzi

Downloading email is a larger server strain that loading individual websites where the server can bypass certain functions (ie ads, java, etc).

Not quite that simple -

You might use a web viewer for email, or a POP3 client or an IMAP client. Each has differing loads, each has differing data thruput. So, looking at HAL's pricing, I can't for the life of me figure out which method they think folks are using. Except, of course, using their terminals its all web-based.

Reception is generally all over the ship, but some spots will be a lower signal and can get spotty, depending on whether they have signal repeaters or boosters. I've never used the premium plan - so that may improve overall speed - but signal strength shouldn't be any different on the packages. I've used the internet in my suite, in Ocean Bar, at Explorations, on deck, outside Crow's Nest, Pinnacle bar - and generally I've always had reception - but I sometimes have moved because it was just too slow or would cut out - sometimes I'd have 1-2 bars of signal strength...when I'd move to another bar or location it would jump to 3-4. So often it just depends on where you are - and a slight move even within the same lounge can sometimes improve the signal.

Edited by zackiedawg

I don't think all ships run the same specials. All ships do have the same "standard' fee. I talked with HAL yesterday and they told me the "usual" fees. I am hoping this special will be on the Zaandam this Sunday when we board!!!

So what are the HAL "usual fees"? I'm planning on using the computers in the internet cafe for checking e-mail, etc. on an occasional basis. We're on the August 10 sailing of the Statendam to Alaska.

George +

Not the Westerdam, but since many cruisers want to know, our July cruise on the Oosterdam had the traditional archaic internet offering, with VERY slow internet, even on your own computer in the hottest of the ship's hot spots. Hopefully HAL will continue to bring all ships and all offerings up to the expectations of today's travelers.

I was on Westerdam in March - on the first cruise where the "new system" was offered. It was amazing and I was SO excited, assuming it would be rolled out on all ships... but that hasn't happened yet. I wonder what the plans are for it! The new Internet was not necessarily faster or "better", but it definitely was "cheaper" for those of us who have to work on board and the convenience of having unlimited and not having to worry about logging on and off and using up minutes... priceless!!