Japan and South East Asia

ricardin

Hi

Can anyone offer any advice as to Xiamen in China? There are shopping opportunities during the excursion and am wondering if Visa or Mastercard are accepted, or is it better to take Chinese Yuan for souvenirs?

thank you in advance

Hi

Can anyone offer any advice as to Xiamen in China? There are shopping opportunities during the excursion and am wondering if Visa or Mastercard are accepted, or is it better to take Chinese Yuan for souvenirs?

thank you in advance

I have not been in that city, but my experience in China is as follows:

Regular stores will usually accept MasterCard or Visa, but often not both.

When credit cards are used in China, there is often a 3%-5% surcharge for using it. This is in addition to any charges your credit card may add for making a foreign transaction.

If you use a credit card, make sure the charge is in Yuan and not converted (for your convenience) to US$. Any such conversion will be at a poor exchange rate. Let your credit card company make the conversion. (You may want to have your guide write in Chinese on a paper you can carry "Please make this charge in Yuan and not in US$.")

Stalls in markets and street venders will not accept credit cards. If used to tourists from ships, they may accept Yuan or US$ or may just accept Yuan.

My experience is that you cannot exchange $ for Yuan on a ship as China tightly regulates currency exchange. The official exchange rate will apply at all ATMs and banks. Likewise, you cannot sell unused Yuan to Princess.

For street vendor, I suggest you go to your local bank and get yuan.

Most banks will be able to get them for you. Get small notes 2.5, 10,

20. Good for tips, and barging with vendors. It makes it easier when dealing with vendors. We only use credit cards

at major stores and information above is good.

We did a China tour (Beijing and Xian) with Princess cruise package 4 years ago. Wendy Wu tours did the land based section - excellent.

The tip on small notes is good.

Beware dodgy street vendors taking banknotes then "realising" they can't offer change and giving you it back - their slight of hand trick is to retain your genuine note and switch it for a fake.

Our tour guide said it was a good idea to record the serial number of larger notes and compare if with any suspect handbacks.

We bought Yuans in the UK - and also took US Dollars.

Never used credit cards, however they will be accepted in major stores and hotels.

We have been to China a few times and always change US$ for Yuan in banks in China. You will have to have your passport with you as they will make a copy of it. I usually check online to see what the current rate is but have always gotten within a percentage point or two of the official rate. We usually keep what we have left over for the next time we arrive. However, if you don't want to do that it is a good idea to change the currency of the country you are leaving for that of the country you are going to. For example, you are leaving China for Singapore and don't plan to return to China. Rather than changing the Yuan to US$ and then changing US$ to Singapore$, change your leftover Yuan to Singapore$. That way you won't pay a commission twice instead of once.

We could change our $ for Yuan on RCL in March and if my memory has not failed me, I believe in 2013 o Diamond I could change money to Yuan through the Atm onboard. Xiamen is a surprising city, lovely temple in beautiful parkland, shopping street with no vehicles, lots of pearls for sale and a beautiful beach. Take small notes and beware of monks offering you a holy token and then wanting at least 20 Yuan for the privilege. We were on a ship tour but talking to other passengers they had no trouble getting into city by taxi, but when they wanted to get back the fare was more than double what they paid to get into the city. This is word of mouth only but beware. We found it a lovely place and all people we met were helpful and courteous. Oolong tea is speciality here also.

Edited by Gwendy

Also, beware buying goods from a street vendor that come in multi packs.

A lady on our tour went to a walkabout seller offering silk scarves, offered individually and in 3 or 4 etc. packs.

She bought such a pack and discovered some were sub standard rejects, only the top one was good.

By which time the vendor had done a runner.

One abiding memory of Beijing was near Mao's tomb - a couple of Chinese came up close and walked around me as if on an inspection. The guide explained these folk were from the provinces and had never seen a

Westerner in the flesh.

Another memorable discovery was that the fashion conscious younger locals covered up to keep the sun off their skin - a white complexion (just like us Celts from northern Europe) was much sought after, suntanned skin was associated with traditional peasants working the land.

I've also changed at banks and used the ATM machines in China no problem whatsoever. I did it when I was travelling by land doing the Silk Road. I also changed with street vendors but you need to check every note.

We could change our $ for Yuan on RCL in March and if my memory has not failed me, I believe in 2013 o Diamond I could change money to Yuan through the Atm onboard. Xiamen is a surprising city, lovely temple in beautiful parkland, shopping street with no vehicles, lots of pearls for sale and a beautiful beach. Take small notes and beware of monks offering you a holy token and then wanting at least 20 Yuan for the privilege. We were on a ship tour but talking to other passengers they had no trouble getting into city by taxi, but when they wanted to get back the fare was more than double what they paid to get into the city. This is word of mouth only but beware. We found it a lovely place and all people we met were helpful and courteous. Oolong tea is speciality here also.

Yes, this is a common practice in China. It is totally illegal so threaten to take the cabbie's photo and ID and send it to the authorities.