How much OBC to get?

Without sounding like a beer commercial "we are Canadian". :D

Seriously though, the exchange rates are so horrible, that we're thinking of purchasing OBC using Royal's special rate of 1.1% (so much better than the current rate 1.3%).

But my question is...how do you know how much to get?

For us, we would not need it for:

• Gratitudes as these will be paid with our final payment.
  • At the moment, we don't plan on doing any Royal excursions
  • No spa packages
  • No specialty dinners

Offhand, I can see us using OBC for

• a-la-cart drinks (DH and I would have maybe 4 - 5 alchololic drinks each during cruise + DH drinks soda daily)
  • character meal
  • maybe cupcake class
  • odd purchase (maybe ice cream or Johny Rockets, store purchase if forget or run out of something, single photo)

So no clue how much OBC to get. We are 2 adults and 2 kids. Anyone else cruise similarly and if so, any suggestions?

Edited by LuCruise

I would remove prepaid gratuities (possible now even if you have MTD) and pay those with OBC. That would be a significant savings based on the 1.1% OBC rate.

I added gratuities to my booking on purpose as I locked in at the previous rate before it increased (think that was in June).

I added gratuities to my booking on purpose as I locked in at the previous rate before it increased (think that was in June).

I'd still do the math to see if you are better off with removing the prepaid tips and getting the better exchange rate. Unless you are in a suite, the tips will be less than $1 per day per person more.

I would leave your gratuities since they are already in Canadian at a decent exchange rate. Plus, if you use all your OBC you'll end up paying more for your gratuities.

Last cruise I had 300 in OBC. We spent 400. We went to the character breakfast twice and one specialty restaurant, bought a a few drinks and two bottles of wine and a some merchandise.

I am planning on getting 400 or 500 for the next cruise but I will also use it for coco cay, as we aren't planning on prebooking there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without sounding like a beer commercial "we are Canadian". :D

Seriously though, the exchange rates are so horrible, that we're thinking of purchasing OBC using Royal's special rate of 1.1% (so much better than the current rate 1.3%).

But my question is...how do you know how much to get?

For us, we would not need it for:

• Gratitudes as these will be paid with our final payment.
  • At the moment, we don't plan on doing any Royal excursions
  • No spa packages
  • No specialty dinners

Offhand, I can see us using OBC for

• a-la-cart drinks (DH and I would have maybe 4 - 5 alchololic drinks each during cruise + DH drinks soda daily)
  • character meal
  • maybe cupcake class
  • odd purchase (maybe ice cream or Johny Rockets, store purchase if forget or run out of something, single photo)

So no clue how much OBC to get. We are 2 adults and 2 kids. Anyone else cruise similarly and if so, any suggestions?

as long as your original booking was in $CDN you can take advantage of the excellent exchange rate....I hope this is how you booked!

I have purchased for my up-coming cruise and it is saving me a few $$!

I'd still do the math to see if you are better off with removing the prepaid tips and getting the better exchange rate. Unless you are in a suite, the tips will be less than $1 per day per person more.

If I were to book today, it would cost $445.36 CAD (I have to compare to interior room as promenades are sold out)

We are locked in at $307.48 CAD so think we're better to keep it as is.

as long as your original booking was in $CDN you can take advantage of the excellent exchange rate....I hope this is how you booked!

I have purchased for my up-coming cruise and it is saving me a few $$!

Yes, we booked our cruise directly with RCL in CAD. It's a huge bonus how RCL lets you charge in CAD. We were looking at it vs Disney and that was one big thing that pushed us towards RCL (since we know the exact cost at booking time as doesn't mater the exchange rate at final payment)

If I were to book today, it would cost $445.36 CAD (I have to compare to interior room as promenades are sold out)

We are locked in at $307.48 CAD so think we're better to keep it as is....

I don't understand how what you said is related to prepaid tips, but it's not a big deal.

If your hubby drinks soda every day, get the soda package (sorry, not sure what the new name is) when you board and it will come out of OBC too.

Kids arcade money? That can come out of OBC too.

I would put more OBC on than your think you'll need since its a good rate and it can be refunded if not used.

Bob, you were commenting that I should scrap my pre-paid tips and use OBC instead. So I'm just stating that we are locked in at a much lower rate. If I were to use OBC, then it would cost $150 more. Maybe I'm not understanding your suggestion? Anyways, think we'll keep it as is.

fredflint, no way to wifi. My DH would live on his cell phone / email and when we're on vacation, I'd rather he "be with us" than on his email. He does that in every day life and it drive me nuts.

newbiecruiser, yes good point. Our kids would definitely want to use the arcade. You can use OBC for that?

Bob, you were commenting that I should scrap my pre-paid tips and use OBC instead. So I'm just stating that we are locked in at a much lower rate. If I were to use OBC, then it would cost $150 more. Maybe I'm not understanding your suggestion? Anyways, think we'll keep it as is....

Can you tell me how many in your party, how many days is the cruise, and the category of staterooms?

We ended up getting $500 for 2 adults and 1 child. We are figuring 5-6 bottles of wine for my mom and possibly a non-alcoholic drink package for me (depending on how bad the regular coffee is), 1 excursion and a souvenir.We prepaid our gratuities too. The exchange rate on the gratuities was better when we booked than it is now.

2 adults, 2 children

7 day Caribbean

Promenade

I just re-read one of your earlier posts and realized you are paying tips in CAD. You're right, better to leave it as is. Sorry for being so slow.:)

I would leave your gratuities since they are already in Canadian at a decent exchange rate. Plus, if you use all your OBC you'll end up paying more for your gratuities.

Last cruise I had 300 in OBC. We spent 400. We went to the character breakfast twice and one specialty restaurant, bought a a few drinks and two bottles of wine and a some merchandise.

I am planning on getting 400 or 500 for the next cruise but I will also use it for coco cay, as we aren't planning on prebooking there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is good to hear as you hear mixed reviews about the character breakfast....so if you went 2x, must have been ok. ;) So maybe $400 is a good amount too. (We do have a small OBC as well but will include that in our total amount)

If your hubby drinks soda every day, get the soda package (sorry, not sure what the new name is) when you board and it will come out of OBC too.

Kids arcade money? That can come out of OBC too.

I would put more OBC on than your think you'll need since its a good rate and it can be refunded if not used.

Can you get the drink package for just one family member? I'm a water drinker myself, and it wouldn't be worthwhile for our kids (they don't drink pop and I think they can get juice or milk at the Windjammer)

Can you get the drink package for just one family member? I'm a water drinker myself, and it wouldn't be worthwhile for our kids (they don't drink pop and I think they can get juice or milk at the Windjammer)

Yes, you are not required to have everyone in the stateroom buy a package.

Yes, you are not required to have everyone in the stateroom buy a package.

Good to know as I assumed it would be required (so they don't have to worry about sneaking drinks for others). It may actually be worthwhile for DH. Will take a closer look. (And if we did, it would reduce our required OBC )

Edited by LuCruise

From what you described I would go with $300 to $500. Any extra is fully refundable in US$ so it's not like you will lose anything.

As a Canadian I do some shopping on board especially things like Clinique - even with exchange is a better buy because ship has "double" paks. Did some Christmas shopping aboard also which OBC could be used for. Sometimes I find ship's excursions suit me.

I do have a question about buying OBC for a cruise that hasn't reached final payment. If I decided to transfer it to another booking - what happens to the OBC?