Celebrity cruiser needs help with Princess

EMS8

Hello all. My DW and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for almost twenty years and have sailed in every class of ship, some of those ships more than once. We are now looking to try Princess and we need your help. We really like the aft staterooms on the M-class ships for their huge balconies. Are there any comparable staterooms on Princess ships?

Cruising friends have said that Caribe deck has the largest balconies. Is this true?

We are looking at a 10 day cruise on Royal. Is this a nice ship?

We see on the Princess web site there are deluxe balcony staterooms and premium balcony staterooms. What is the difference between those staterooms, other than price?

Any help with information would be appreciated.

Thanks

From what I have read, you may be disappointed with the balcony size on the Royal. The Caribe balconies are not larger on the Royal as they are on other class of Princess ships. We love the larger balconies on the Grand Class ships Caribe deck.

We've enjoyed the Royal & Regal several times but most balconies are 9'x4' except for those in the midship bumped out section and also some on the forward end of the ship & aft facing cabins. The larger Caribe deck balconies are on the various versions of Grand-class ships but not standard on the Royal-class ships.

Premium cabins are primarily based on their desirable location & possibly a larger balcony but the interior size is the same size. We've enjoyed 3 cruises in deluxe balcony cabins & found the love seat sized couch a good addition.

I've read that the Royal-class aft facing balconies have experienced soot problems however I do not have any personal experience. I've never sailed on Celebrity but hope to do so one day so cannot compare it to Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cruising friends have said that Caribe deck has the largest balconies. Is this true?

We see on the Princess web site there are deluxe balcony staterooms and premium balcony staterooms. What is the difference between those staterooms, other than price?

Thanks

Royal and Regal Princess

Cabins: Excluding full suites 90% of all balconies on these two ships are 9'x4'. They are usable, but their depth is lacking. It has been reported that cabins overlooking the stern may at times have balcony soot issues. Port and Starboard cabins do not have this problem. Some mid ship cabins and a few forward cabins have extended balconies. You can see them on the deck plans. Mid ship cabins balconies on decks 15, 14 & 12 starboard are open to view from the sea walk on deck 16. The port side view to the balconies below is mostly blocked by the Sea View Bar. Interiors of same cat. cabins are the same. For example a BA cabin interior is the same as a BZ cabin. The difference is location on the ship. You can investigate cabins by searching around on the deck plans. The diagrams are mostly accurate. Differences, if any, will be noted in red when you click on a specific cabin.

Other ships, like the Star, Emerald, Ruby, Crown, and more are Grand Class ships. These are the ones with large Caribe deck balconies.

The Royal is a nice ship. If this is your first Princess cruise I would suggest you choose Traditional dining, same table same time, same waiters each evening. The DR is open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days (closed for lunch on port days). Other free dining includes Alfredo's sit down pizza + other selections, 11am to 11pm, International Cafe, 24/7, Pub Lunch on sea days in the Wheelhouse Bar, Horizon Ct./Horizon Bistro/ Pastry Shop buffet area. The Royal Princess has a really nice and large buffet area with all kinds of selections. At least one section or sections are open from 5am until midnight. Never closes during that time. There is also pizza by the slice, soft ice cream and the trident grill on the lido deck by the pool open all day and evening.

Surcharge dining includes the Crown Grill, Sabatini's $25/pp, Crab Shack, Fondues $20/pp plus special dining such as Chef's Table, Wine Maker's Dinner, and Balcony Dining. Make all reservations on board.

Hello all. My DW and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for almost twenty years and have sailed in every class of ship, some of those ships more than once. We are now looking to try Princess and we need your help. We really like the aft staterooms on the M-class ships for their huge balconies. Are there any comparable staterooms on Princess ships?

Thanks

I know the M-class Celebrity ship well, having sailed numerous times on the Summit, and I know the aft balconies you have occupied. That will not exist anywhere on the Royal. If the balcony is something that is extremely important, I would try a Grand Class ship on Princess. I am Elite on both Princess and Celebrity and enjoy both lines very much. Princess is my favorite between the two, but it is a close call. If that balcony is your most important feature, however, do not sail on the Royal Princess.

The comparable staterooms on Royal are the premium balconies located aft. These are slightly larger inside and include a love seat. Some of the balconies are larger, check the deck plans and cabin descriptions. A deluxe balcony has the love seat, but the balcony is the same size. Midship cabins below the Seawalk and Seaview bar are a bit larger, but don't face aft. Royal is more comparable to the S-class on Celebrity. Yes it is nice. If you enjoy a large balcony, consider booking the Sanctuary along with a deluxe balcony. Very quiet, plenty of space, good views - although it is a public area.

Thanks

I know the M-class Celebrity ship well, having sailed numerous times on the Summit, and I know the aft balconies you have occupied. That will not exist anywhere on the Royal. If the balcony is something that is extremely important, I would try a Grand Class ship on Princess. I am Elite on both Princess and Celebrity and enjoy both lines very much. Princess is my favorite between the two, but it is a close call. If that balcony is your most important feature, however, do not sail on the Royal Princess.

There are a few cabins with a larger balcony on the aft of the Royal, but none will compare to the C1 or FV style cabins on the "M" class ships. The standard cabins in the aft with the largest balconys will be on deck 14, 11, and 9 (the balcony will be about 9' wide by 12' deep). The same can be said for suite cabins in the aft too.

BILL

There are a few cabins with a larger balcony on the aft of the Royal, but none will compare to the C1 or FV style cabins on the "M" class ships. The standard cabins in the aft with the largest balconys will be on deck 14, 11, and 9 (the balcony will be about 9' wide by 12' deep). The same can be said for suite cabins in the aft too.

BILL

I do not often quote myself...but...the suites in the aft all have a large balcony, but the deepest ones (at least 11 feet deep) will be on decks 14, 11 and 9. The suites on other decks will have a balcony that is much less deep!

Thank you all for the info you've provided. Even though I said we like the aft balconies on Celebrity M-class, we just like a decent sized balcony that might be partially covered. A place to sit comfortably and enjoy the scenery with some shade/sun.

Can any of you recommend a regular, deluxe or premium balcony stateroom that you have stayed in and really liked? One of those staterooms you always try to book on Royal?

Thank you all for the info you've provided. Even though I said we like the aft balconies on Celebrity M-class, we just like a decent sized balcony that might be partially covered. A place to sit comfortably and enjoy the scenery with some shade/sun.

Can any of you recommend a regular, deluxe or premium balcony stateroom that you have stayed in and really liked? One of those staterooms you always try to book on Royal?

Any of the aft cabins on the decks that I suggested (decks 14, 11 and 9) will have a larger balcony and be partially covered from the sun, except when the sun is shining directly into it. Since the balconys on the side of the ship are so narrow, they are usually either all shade or all sun, depending on where the sun is.

BILL

In the same boat as you (pun very much intended!) and would also love some balcony cabin recommendations - actual cabin numbers.

Just got off Royal on 8/1 and had forward balcony M102 with friends in M104. Absolutely loved the balcony size and were able to open for access between the two. The regular balconies seemed extremely small. First Princess cruise, have sailed most other lines.

image.jpg.f527d660770c8db0203f8f662e031de3.jpg

Thank you all for the information you've given me. We booked our first Princess cruise today. Sailing on Royal and have one of the hump cabins on deck 9. Looking forward to seeing some cruising friends we sailed with 2 years ago.

Thanks again.

Just got off Royal on 8/1 and had forward balcony M102 with friends in M104. Absolutely loved the balcony size and were able to open for access between the two. The regular balconies seemed extremely small. First Princess cruise, have sailed most other lines.

Nice! :)

Please at least consider booking a Mini-Suite. Worth it for the larger bathroom and extra space with a full couch.

LuLu

Well it is as long as its not too overpriced. I have seen some pretty crazy mini suite prices on a few cruises that I have checked. :(

Please at least consider booking a Mini-Suite. Worth it for the larger bathroom and extra space with a full couch.

LuLu

Thanks for the info. Maybe a mini-suite on our 2nd Princess cruise. I think the hump stateroom will work for our first Princess cruise.