Duplicate Bridge on Oceania

monsieur D

Especially during sea days we like to join a friendly session of duplicate bridge. Having been a bit disappointed with the bridge on our last two cruises on Crystal, we have looked around and identified that Riviera's trans-Atlantic in November 2015 is advertised as having organised duplicate with a director.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone that has taken part in duplicate bridge on Oceania. Thanks in advance.

D

I played duplicate bridge on Marina and had a great time. I picked up a regular partner on sea days - my husband decided to read a book instead. Lots of players and a variety of playing levels but there were many excellent players whose points were recorded with the American bridge organization. (As you can see, I am not a regular player so don't know the lingo!) I also took the Intermediate bridge classes in the morning. Beginner classes were also available. We had excellent instructors.

We had six or seven sea days on our cruise through the Panama Canal. There was a bridge director and his wife. I don't know about lessons, but every sea day there was a game on the Regatta. The bridge director didn't have much personality, but the passengers enjoyed themselves.

There was no bridge director on our Caribbean cruises with daily ports. The bridge director on the Amazon cruise gave a beginner's lesson in the morning directly followed by an intermediate lesson. She set up games in the afternoons. Sometimes, she would organize games on short port days if I am not mistaken.

Is there usually any chance for a near beginner to learn how to play (say on a Carribean itinerary)?

Thanks, John

If there are bridge instructors onboard they usually offer beginner lessons

There are some Bridge cruises listed

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/bridge-program/

Otherwise it is hit or miss

Maybe some kind person on your cruise will teach you ;)

Is there usually any chance for a near beginner to learn how to play (say on a Carribean itinerary)?

Thanks, John

John - I learned basic play on at Atlantic Crossing in 2007 on Regent; They have the same program on Oceania; A beginner's lessons with play of the hand. Then more advanced lessons and play.

• 1 month later...
Lots of Bridge and some very good players on the Atlantic Crossing - every sea day there are lessons.

Many thanks for all the replies re duplicate bridge on Oceania's transatlantics. We have now booked on Riviera's next crossing. I will report back

D

Thanks, John

No organized bridge lessons on Caribbean cruises, Too many ports, not enough time at sea.

Edited by sitraveler

• 4 weeks later...
On our last 2 transatlantic cruises on the Marina and the Riviera, we had over 20 tables of duplicate. The Directors/instructors were also very good.

Thank you, mgold5. That is very encouraging; if we match that number of tables on Riviera's wet bound later this month I will be well pleased.

D