HAL Online: You may qualify for special pricing. Please login or register

jt58203

I prefer to research cruises & check prices online rather than talking on the phone. No matter what cruise I check, I never qualify for special pricing. (I've only been on HAL twice). Every time I log in, do my checking, log off within 24 hours HAL calls me!!! Not on weekends though. Most the time they call my landline at home while I'm at work and I see their name & phone # on my caller id. Very seldom so they leave a message. I was wondering if anybody out there does get special pricing when they search for cruises after logging in.

I prefer to research cruises & check prices online rather than talking on the phone. No matter what cruise I check, I never qualify for special pricing. (I've only been on HAL twice). Every time I log in, do my checking, log off within 24 hours HAL calls me!!! Not on weekends though. Most the time they call my landline at home while I'm at work and I see their name & phone # on my caller id. Very seldom so they leave a message. I was wondering if anybody out there does get special pricing when they search for cruises after logging in.

Every once in a blue moon -- there will be a different cost. But like a blue moon, not very often.

Hi,

Yes, I do. But occasionally, we’ll fall off receiving them. I’m not sure if it’s connected to Emails and Specials by mail, but I feel that it may be (because the solution below has fixed the issue). Go to Preferences in your Account on HAL’s website and see what is checked. If your preferences are checked and you’re not seeing any “prices in green”, give the Mariner Society a call. I have had to do this several times in the past and it has gotten Emails and Special Pricing restored. (You know those popups on HAL's site? Once I checked "don't send" or something to that effect because we were already signed up and the Emails stopped. Now I just hit ESC or X out).

Sometimes, there are gaps in specials and there may be a few days here and there where there is nothing. Other times, like now, my husband’s account has the special “prices in green” and I do not. We just booked a cruise last week, so I may have been taken off the list, as that has been reported to happen in the past. Note that you won't receive the special pricing for every sailing. There may be special pricing for just one category, too, or all. It varies.

I have noticed a pattern. Once you do see the Special Pricing, call HAL and ask how long that sale is going to last. If the agent tells you they don’t know, ask them to check. The pattern, for us at least, is that a sale will begin on a Tuesday and go through the end of the day on a Wednesday a few weeks later. Then there will be no “prices in green” for 5 days. Then, there’s usually another sale. This is the general pattern, though it deviates from time to time. (Others have reported those who just sign up on HAL’s website with -0- stars are getting special rates, too). There was also a time where I saw the next day's Special Pricing and HAL couldn't see it. They had me do a Print Screen and they honored the price.

Regarding the phone calls, after I begin to search for cruises in a given year, I usually get a call from a PCC. She'll tell me she noticed I was searching for XYZ cruise, etc. and if she can assist, so I guess they save your search history when you're logged in.

I want to share some previous discussions that might be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214979

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2229483

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2231033

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2239290

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203287

Note that the HAL sales are not all the same. Some examples are:

Public sales and Promotions (Anniversary, 60 60 60, Explore 4, etc).

Flash Fares.

Private Fares you may receive in the mail or by email.

The “Prices in Green”/Special Pricing after logging in (said to be tied to your Mariner Number).

(and I would guess a few other types I’m sure to be leaving out!)

Again, a quick call to the Mariner Society has helped restore my special pricing in the past. I hope that helps!

Edited by syesmar

I cruised HAL for the first time in January. Right after I got home, I started looking at Alaska cruises for August. I had been looking on and off for about a week when one day...Special Green Prices appeared! And I think it was a great price for a signature suite along with the anniversary promotion. Needless to say, I took it!

The sad thing is... I haven't seen that good of a price since. The green prices have all vanished. [emoji26] I keep hoping they will appear for my winter Caribbean cruise... But I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by bjarrett7

Just a guess, but I have a feeling there won't be many "green prices" while Explore 4 is still going on. Just a theory, but I suspect that HAL wouldn't want to offer too many discounted rates on top of a sweeping promotion.

Just a guess, but I have a feeling there won't be many "green prices" while Explore 4 is still going on. Just a theory, but I suspect that HAL wouldn't want to offer too many discounted rates on top of a sweeping promotion.

Yet the green pricing *does* exist on the same page with the Explore 4 offer in the top left corner. When I called, they said I couldn't have both. It is so misleading! The page should not be displayed with both offers if they don't honor it.

We see the "green" pricing quite often, mostly after final payment.

I guess we pick the cruises that aren't selling well!

Agree. You usually see them closer in. I never used to see them until ger77 started a thread that might change that for some people. I posted the link twice, only one person acknowledged this excellent information from ger77. I can only assume posters are not interested in trying to get some discounts. It's helped me marginally even though I had to give up the anniversary promo to get it.

Agree. You usually see them closer in. I never used to see them until ger77 started a thread that might change that for some people. I posted the link twice, only one person acknowledged this excellent information from ger77. I can only assume posters are not interested in trying to get some discounts. It's helped me marginally even though I had to give up the anniversary promo to get it.

Hi, CC

Well, I want some discounts!

I don't remember this thread. Was it lately? Maybe I was away: dam!

Hi, CC

Well, I want some discounts!

I don't remember this thread. Was it lately? Maybe I was away: dam!

See the link. In my post # 6 on the thread below. I thought it was very nice of ger77 to start this thread. It seems people complain about not seeing special pricing but they don't try to do anything to see it. I know this sounds kinda snarky but I'm not meaning it that way. I just don't know why people wouldn't at least try something before they say that nothing works for them. Ger77's thread was the first constructive solution to this issue IMO. Not sure it will help you since you do see special pricing. Even if posters work with a ta I'm sure the ta could help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244237

Thanks, CC.

I get emails and mail brochures quite often from HAL. The mail ones are so out-of date pricewise it is ridiculous!

The only "deals" that are worth it are the "green" ones when I put in my Mariner number. Some of those are quite good!

I was just thinking: how was the Condo meeting about the assessment?

We think much of this "Special Pricing" is a big marketing con. If we go on the HAL web site (for any reason) and logon with our own ID (some will have this done automatically via Cookies planted on your computer) we will get a follow-up e-mail from our PCC (who we have never used) and usually another follow-up phone call from our PCC (which we seldom accept).

Sometimes HAL does offer special pricing for previous cruisers. For example, we recently checked and could have received some money off a future Grand Cruise via the HAL web site. Of course we also checked with one of our favorite cruise agencies (via their web site) and they offered the same exact "special pricing" plus and additional OBC (on board credit) of several thousand dollars (not offered via the HAL web site).

Hank

Thanks, CC.

I get emails and mail brochures quite often from HAL. The mail ones are so out-of date pricewise it is ridiculous!

The only "deals" that are worth it are the "green" ones when I put in my Mariner number. Some of those are quite good!

I was just thinking: how was the Condo meeting about the assessment?

The management company got beat up real good :D and they deserved it. There was no opportunity to vote or anything. People want a breakdown of costs because they are very high. It's going out to tender in October so hopefully the price will have gone down but I doubt it. The first payment is due October 1.

Just wanted to add that if you see special pricing, any reputable travel agent will have access to those rates, as they are connected to your Mariner #. So, you can book with whomever you choose. We use a travel agent who has more perks than HAL, as others have mentioned. It is true that sometimes you'll just find better rates without the special pricing, but it's nice to know all your options.

Happy Travels!!

The management company got beat up real good :D and they deserved it. There was no opportunity to vote or anything. People want a breakdown of costs because they are very high. It's going out to tender in October so hopefully the price will have gone down but I doubt it. The first payment is due October 1.

Yikes! How can this go through if there was no vote, let alone no passing vote?

Just wanted to add that if you see special pricing, any reputable travel agent will have access to those rates, as they are connected to your Mariner #. So, you can book with whomever you choose. We use a travel agent who has more perks than HAL, as others have mentioned. It is true that sometimes you'll just find better rates without the special pricing, but it's nice to know all your options.

Happy Travels!!

Yes of course. It's anyone choice to deal with a middleman if that floats your boat. Just like others don't need or want a middleman.

You can click a box on your profile at the HAL site that indicates how or if you want to be contacted. I clicked e-mail but don't think I clicked I want phone calls.

Since we know you are a long time HAL customer thought you might find our tale interesting. For the first 350 days of HAL cruising we never had a single phone call or personal e-mail from HAL. We suspect this was because we do not book directly with HAL (or other cruise lines) since we prefer to save money with cruise agencies. But last year we did something for the first time (ever) which was to cancel a booked HAL (the Voyage of the Vikings). Your would have thought that we committed a major faux pas. That cancellation got us several e-mail inquires, the first ever phone call from our PCC, another follow-up phone call and multiple personalized e-mails. Much of communication was them wanting to know why we cancelled (primarily the smoking policy) and what could they do to change our minds (nothing!).

But ever since that single incident it is like we are the "chosen ones." If we simply go on the HAL web site it will get us an e-mail (to tell us they noticed we were on the web site and do we want help), a 2nd e-mail from our PCC (who we have never ever used) and usually a follow-up call from our PCC (which we do not even answer).

DW thinks it is funny that working our way up to 4 Star Mariners never got any attention, but a single cancellation caused all kinds of attention.

Hank

Having never gotten any special pricing.

Also, I check HAL's pricing for many cruises -- have never gotten a call from them.

I think you have to tell them you are «open» for an upsell AND detained a GUAR cabin.

I received two calls from them on two different occasions using this technic.

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

I think you have to tell them you are «open» for an upsell AND detained a GUAR cabin.

I received two calls from them on two different occasions using this technic.

Holacanada

Upsells and special pricing are two different things. You do not need to tell Hal that you are interested in upsells. Generally they show up on their own.

Upsells and special pricing are two different things. You do not need to tell Hal that you are interested in upsells. Generally they show up on their own.

Not sure HAL fans really understand that "Upsells" are just a HAL marketing tactic used to charge extra money for upgrades normally given Free by many of the competition. On other lines we often get free upgrades, but on HAL we get a call asking if we want to $9,999 for an "upsell" to a suite!

Hank