magnets on walls and doors

Fayecruises

You can definitely use magnets on the walls. We were on a segment of the QV World cruise this past year and used them to hang the itinerary, invitations, etc.

The closet doors are wood and we used 3M hooks on the inside of the doors as extra storage.

HAve a great trip!

Magnets and removable hooks are a good idea - thanks. Any creative ideas on maximising storage in what appear to be tiny QV bathrooms?

On our 48 day voyage we used foldable cubes available on Amazon.com and other places. I think they were about 9 inches square.

There is a shelf under the sink and we stored them there. One for my husband, one for me we kept our toiletries in them and brought them up to the counter when in use. They fold flat so were easy to pack and they were made of cloth and cardboard so they were light.

A set of 3 cost about $9.99.

Does anyone know if the walls and cabin doors are metal on the QM2? I will be on this ship for 120 days and would like to bring magnets I was on this ship twice but can;t remember. Thanks

The doors will hold magnets,but not the walls. Thee were all kinds of door decorations on the entry doors from the "CC meet & greet" participators.

The doors will hold magnets,but not the walls. Thee were all kinds of door decorations on the entry doors from the "CC meet & greet" participators.

I don't know about the doors but the walls will definitely hold magnets. We took some magnetic wall hooks on the QM2 last year to hang our outdoor jackets on, as the QM2 doesn't have wall hooks like they do on the QV and QE. Worked like a treat.

To the OP....

Bring a large wall map and put it up on your cabin wall. It's great to follow your course as you sail. I collect fridge magnets so I put the ones I bought around the edges of the map as I traveled. (I will look for the picture.)

Edited by Scrapnana

Here is a picture of my world map with magnets (we were about half way through the voyage at this point). As you can see at the left of the map, I also used magnets to put up important papers and invitations.

1947_zps0561afbd.jpg

terrific idea thanks got the same map from AAA

Thanks CruiseNH for the Amazon cubes tip - one I will follow up. Also, great idea Scrapnana re putting a world map up. I've noticed pics of QV cabins seem a bit "bare", with no pictures on the long wall. Such a map would be a colourful and useful addition to warm the room up a bit.

Thanks for all the tips on magnets and hooks!.. Another thing I did on the World Cruise was to take down all the wooden hangers and white supports on the Mary and use wire hangers which I brought. You can fit so much more in the closet! It's very easy to do on the QE and a bit harder on the Mary.v

Sally

Thanks for all the tips on magnets and hooks!.. Another thing I did on the World Cruise was to take down all the wooden hangers and white supports on the Mary and use wire hangers which I brought. You can fit so much more in the closet! It's very easy to do on the QE and a bit harder on the Mary.v

Sally

We did the same thing on the QV, but I just asked the cabin steward to bring me wire hangers and he brought me a ton...both wire and plastic. No need to bring your own unless you want to use special ones.

• 4 years later...

I love the idea of the foldable cubes in the bathroom :)

Although extra shelving may not be needed on QV, on QM2 we accessorize our bathroom and shower with extra shelving.

I agree that a map is great - our daughter bought us a scratch off map, and we take it along as well as a silver Sharpie pen. 

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/9/2015 at 5:17 PM, Scrapnana said:

Here is a picture of my world map with magnets (we were about half way through the voyage at this point). As you can see at the left of the map, I also used magnets to put up important papers and invitations.

1947_zps0561afbd.jpg

The map’s a good idea, but all those magnets must have cost you a lot of luggage space/weight.

Another thing we find helpful is a motion-activated battery-powered night light. That way, if a person needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, they don't need to turn on the bathroom light from outside, thus flooding the cabin with light. (A plug-in nightlight won't work because the plug is turned off with the lights.)

As for more organization, many have done wonders of organization with over-the-door shoe organizers. 

...another must-pack for our cruises is a power strip WITHOUT a surge suppressor. 
(If you search for "cruise power strip no surge suppressor" on Amazon, you'll find quite a few options)

...and, yes we also pack strong magnets and also love the reusable luggage tag holders.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We use six 42mm neodymium magnets to hold a sodden but not dripping towel just below the ceiling air-con vent.  We do this just before going to bed and by the morning the towel is dry which says something about the dryness of the air-con and why we always used to get throat and nasal problems that are now a thing of the past.

The 42mm magnet has enough strength to go through the towel and hold it directly against the ceiling.

DJ

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Another thing we find helpful is a motion-activated battery-powered night light. That way, if a person needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, they don't need to turn on the bathroom light from outside, thus flooding the cabin with light. 

Just keep your smart phone on the bedside cabinet. As soon as I pick mine up the screen turns on and provides enough light to stumble to to bathroom.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2015 at 4:02 AM, Fayecruises said:

Thanks for the information Can you use magnets on the cabin front door both inside and outside

Just back from QM2. Used magnetic hooks on inside walls. The door on the outside is not magnetic but the wall is