Can you bring wine onboard

mickev99

Ask anyone with water retention problems the difference between drinking ships water and good bottled water. Yes, the ships water is purified and doesn't taste salty, however there is no way all the sodium can be removed. Suffering with water retention, or if you have heart problems or Meiniere' disease, is no fun. I have the latter and with too much sodium, I'm walking like the ship is in 20 foot seas when it is dead calm. I'll drag along my bottled water, thank you!:D

Hey, I understand and empathize with the challenge there. I'm just curious to know about this as I don't need to be taking in more salt than normal even without a medical condition.

Kind of off topic, but How much water can be brought onboard? I got the sodas and more card, thinking it would include water. Now I see juice and hot chocolate are included, but water isn't

I've seen 2 cases of water brought on board quite often at the pier in Seattle, but I don't know of any "limit" per se.

Tom

Thank you. It's been a while since I've cruised with princess, and seeing that Carnival just changed their water policy, I wanted to play it safe.

With my disability, I feel safer with bottled water. I was disappointed that the sodas and more card didn't include water.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

Has anyone had an issue bringing on wine from a port in the Med? we're doing a couple of wine tasting tours next year. Thanks. I thought their policy used to state that you can't bring it on from a port, only embarkation.

I didn't have any trouble bringing aboard wine in three different ports. And I did nothing to hide it . . . in fact, one bottle was in a very clearly marked bag from a winery. That said, I suspect that sometimes I get the "short blonde girl by herself" benefit of the doubt -- either they just don't notice me or I look harmless . . . if they only knew.

Not saying you are wrong, but where did you read/here that? I have not tasted it as salty and it's purified water. I'm curious to know this and how much difference is there. Isn't the Coca Cola water Aquafine got added salt (I don't buy that one)?

Aquafina is actually a Pepsi product . . . and has no added sodium. My understanding is that Coca-Cola's Dasani does have added stuff, although I'm not sure if that includes sodium. If I have to rely on vending-machine water (instead of Evian or Fiji, my preferences), I definitely prefer the taste of Aq.; to me, Dasani has kind of an oily texture.

[/font][/color]

Aquafina is actually a Pepsi product . . . and has no added sodium. My understanding is that Coca-Cola's Dasani does have added stuff, although I'm not sure if that includes sodium. If I have to rely on vending-machine water (instead of Evian or Fiji, my preferences), I definitely prefer the taste of Aq.; to me, Dasani has kind of an oily texture.

DAMN ... brain fart.. Yes, of course Dasani. I don't buy either one. Sorry about that.

On my cruise that leaves in 6 days, the wording in the contract is different. It seems to eliminate the permission to bring more onboard

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

On my cruise that leaves in 6 days, the wording in the contract is different. It seems to eliminate the permission to bring more onboard

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

What does it say on the Princess luggage tags you printed out.

Here is what mine said in April this year.

luggage%20tag%20info_zpss8v74gh4.jpg

There may be a difference between the contract and reality. When I boarded the Golden in Buenos Aires, I had 2 bottles of wine and 2 liters of scotch still in their duty free bag. I also printed out a copy of the passage contract. I was perfectly willing to surrender the scotch until the end of the cruise.

I had an argument with the person checking them in who said they would be confiscated, even after showing him the contract. It took a visit to Guest Services and the Beverage Manager to straighten it out.

I was on a B2B, and at the changeover, the bottles were returned to me!

In the cruise terminal in Valparaiso, there was a X-Ray machine, so there was no scanning done as we boarded. There were booths selling wine, and they guaranteed we could get them on board, which we did.

However, at another port, a person sitting with claim checks was taking the liquor bottles for storage!

The tap water on Princess ships is very good. We drink it all the time.

We use Rubbermaid water bottles that contain a filter with the on board tap water. It works very well to remove the chemicals that are added to the de-salinated water that are necessary to keep the ship's water system clean and operational. You do not need to drink from the bottles (although we carry them onshore) you can squeeze out the water into glasses or other containers. This way we do not need to drag bottles on board at embarkation.

There may be a difference between the contract and reality. When I boarded the Golden in Buenos Aires, I had 2 bottles of wine and 2 liters of scotch still in their duty free bag. I also printed out a copy of the passage contract. I was perfectly willing to surrender the scotch until the end of the cruise.

I had an argument with the person checking them in who said they would be confiscated, even after showing him the contract. It took a visit to Guest Services and the Beverage Manager to straighten it out.

I was on a B2B, and at the changeover, the bottles were returned to me!

In the cruise terminal in Valparaiso, there was a X-Ray machine, so there was no scanning done as we boarded. There were booths selling wine, and they guaranteed we could get them on board, which we did.

However, at another port, a person sitting with claim checks was taking the liquor bottles for storage!

I may have been on the same cruise (Golden, March 2014, BA to LA) and sometimes how crew interprets procedures will vary.

Some things are a gray area such as how many bottles of wine we can bring during embarkation when sailing b2b cruises. We were on the b2b & each of us brought 2 of our favorite bottles of wine from home when boarding in Buenos Aires. The crewmember checking bottles at first was not going to allow our 2nd bottles despite having both of our boarding passes to show that we were sailing the b2b. Eventually we were allowed to keep our 2nd bottles by promising to not bring additional bottles onboard during the Valparaiso in-transit day. We didn't bring on additional bottles but as you posted it would not have been an issue there. We had the 12 bottle wine package to enjoy with dinner so with the 4 bottles we carried on we had enough wine to drink. :)

We were on the same cruise, and Fletch1 (Russell) did a marvelous job of organizing the M&G's

He's a great organizer & we have enjoyed joining his independent tours on the SA cruise and also during a Med/TA cruise.

We keep in touch with each other & he's currently on a "holiday" as the Aussies say, a Baltic cruise sandwiched between stays in London and Paris plus currently driving around the south of France. :)

• 1 year later...
I think it is easier to understand the policy if this is stated in reverse.

You can bring on as many bottles as you want. There is no limit. The first bottle per person is free of charge. All additional bottles are assessed a $15 corkage fee upon boarding. The "free" bottle is also assessed the corkage fee if brought to a public dining area.

I think the reason why it is more clear this way is because many other cruise lines allow one bottle and one bottle only. There simply is no option to bring on more bottles. When Princess' policy is stated as "One bottle per person", there is a tendency for people to stop there and not appreciate the critical difference that Princess offers.

:confused:The Princess policy downloaded on 10/8/2016 indicates you can bring on one bottle, per person, per voyage. This appears to be a change since your Aug, 2015 posting? Can you confirm Princess will now allow only one bottle / per person / per voyage? Thank you

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas."

:confused:The Princess policy downloaded on 10/8/2016 indicates you can bring on one bottle, per person, per voyage. This appears to be a change since your Aug, 2015 posting? Can you confirm Princess will now allow only one bottle / per person / per voyage? Thank you

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas."

No change. There is nothing in writing from Princess on how to handle people on back to back cruises. If you are on a B2B can each person of drinking age bring both bottles on at the start of the first cruise? If so, will Princess hold one bottle until the start of the second cruise? Or will you need to wait to bring your second bottle on at the start of the second cruise. We have not been on a B2B since the tighter policy but from other posts it appears you can bring on both at the start of the first cruise and keep them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is what I pulled off of the FAQ section on the Princess website a moment ago:

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

No change.

Edit to add...I just downloaded a luggage tag for an upcoming cruise and it still says:

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine

or champagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

Edited by JimmyVWine