What to pack for Alaska

lula58

We are doing an 11 day land-cruise tour of Alaska from Aug 17-28. We fly into Anchorage...do a Denali stop and then cruise south. Am stressing about what clothes to pack. What kind of jacket do we need...how heavy? Any other suggestions?

The key is layers...you really don't need a heavy, winter coat, if you can LAYER under a jacket, if needed!

Same with your other clothes....don't bring heavy sweaters and "winter wear"....bring thin things you can add or takeaway as needed! It's not always cold up there, you know!

Layers, layers, layers. I had a lined, water-proof, wind-breaker, hat and gloves which I worn with a sweater for the glaciers. Just wore the water-proof wind-breaker for other stops (no hat or gloves needed), just the sweater for non-rainy days, and no jacket or sweater for Anchorage where it was almost 80F. Alaska can be rainy so bring 2 pair of shoes if not water-proof.

Stressing? Good grief. You need a jacket that's warm enough for if it's cold, and cool enough for if it's warm, and if it's too warm you can carry it, and if it's too cold you can put an extra sweater on. If you find your jacket is desperately inappropriate, there are thrift shops in Alaska; you can buy a replacement there. Some things are worth stressing over, but this isn't.

Other suggestions? Stop worrying.

I read you are from minnesota....I am from maine....what many people consider cold would still be beach coverup weather for us!...layers....I bought a waterproof poncho at the last minute because our luggage was in airport limbo...never took it out of the bag....luggage did show up and I didn't even use any layers...we were lucky....sunny and 70's the whole time....

If you're doing the Denali land tour, you'll need layers. It is much colder in and near Denali park than it will be in Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchikan. When I was in Juneau, it was in the 70's, the sun was out, and I was in shorts and a tank top. In Denali I was in jeans, boots, and thermo layers (it was pouring when we were there). Just bring layers that you can take off and put on and you'll be completely fine! :)

CruiserBruce does have it right. Be sure to check out the Alaska Board.

You need layers even without a land tour.

Key is to layer because weather changes often even in the course of a day and history means nothing. It could be sunny, cloudy, windy, warm, cool, rainy and again this changes often.

August can be rainy.

Bring a hat and gloves and scarf, waterproof jacket, fleece or sweater or sweatshirt, waterproof pants, poncho, but also some lighter clothing too. Bring two pairs of walking shoes/sports shoes.

Keith

Another post for thinking like an onion; layer upon layer. However, when my cruise was in Tracy Arm Fjord, I really wished I'd brought my ski jacket. Even though I had on long silk undies, jeans, boots, sweater, insulated jacket, hat and gloves, I thought I was going to freeze my family jewels off. These items, more or less, were fine for everywhere else. This was early June.

We are doing an 11 day land-cruise tour of Alaska from Aug 17-28. We fly into Anchorage...do a Denali stop and then cruise south. Am stressing about what clothes to pack. What kind of jacket do we need...how heavy? Any other suggestions?

Since you are from Minn., it is not going to be cold for you. All you will need is a couple of layers, but in your case you should also plan on being warm to hot so you may need shorts too.

The only place it might be chilly for you is near the glaciers.