Another laundry question

joanna111

Can the laundry service be prepaid at $7 per day (or $9 I suppose) now and is it probably the $7 or the 9$ fee. 18 day transatlantic in July.

If you take the per piece price and have a t-shirt ($3) and underpants (2$) and pair of socks daily it is the $7 day fee. If you have a Mr Clean among you who has day outfit and night outfit you can see why I would want the service.

The price on the western side of The Pond is $26 per bag, not $20. Still a mark-up, but not one I would call "gouging".

I have read, can't swear to the truth of it, that some European passengers pack dirty laundry to bring aboard so it can be washed on the ship. That increases demand, which increases the price. The post was made by someone who works on the ships, in a position to know.

I plan to be on a road trip of 10 days to Loire Valley and Normandy Beaches before the 18 day cruise. I will be one of those "Europeans" bringing on lots of dirty laundry. If you hang out in lots of laundry rooms like I do -- I think we are either really messy or really too clean:p you know that the laundry rooms on ships are so busy the first 2-3 days with folks who have been traveling awhile before the cruise starts. Some head to sign up for fancy dinner I head for the washing machine:D

I plan to be on a road trip of 10 days to Loire Valley and Normandy Beaches before the 18 day cruise. I will be one of those "Europeans" bringing on lots of dirty laundry.

That's not exactly the same as packing dirty laundry from home to bring aboard to be washed there, though, now is it.

I feel that charging $30 per bag in Europe vs. $20 in the western hemisphere is a real rip. It doesn't cost HAL more money to do a bag of laundry in Europe. I asked Ship's services about that and they said that because of the higher passenger loads and more expected laundry, the ship has the authority to raise the price of the per-bag rate. That makes no sense. If a cabin generates more than 1 bag of laundry, then they simply pay for 2 bags. The more you use the service, the more you pay. So, why gouge the passengers just because they can ?

Its called supply & demand, good capitalism, the stuff that made America great. No one is forcing you to use the service.

Every day. I wouldn't send a bag the last 2-3 days of the cruise, because I want it back in plenty of time to pack. But if you're staying on for the next cruise, you can send it until the end.

Thanks, Ruth. I was thinking about cutting back on underwear and DH's polo shirts and using the service, but on a 7 day cruise, it would lighten the suitcase by 2 or 3 days worth of clothes. Not worth the bother. But if we were traveling before the cruise or taking a longer cruise, I'd definitely do it.

If I've miscounted somewhere along the way, Veendam does have a launderette. Has HAL upgraded those machines in recent years? When we were on Maasdam 3 years ago, the machines were in bad shape.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I called my TA about adding laundry to my cruise. I will have June 21 to July 2 as a precruise car trip in Germany and France. Cruise is 18 days Rotterdam to Boston and there are 2 clean freaks in the cabin:p. I was able to add (and prepay) unlimited laundry for the whole cruise for $126 US. I think this is a fabulous deal if compared to the individual price of for example: a t-shirt $3 and underpants $2 and shorts $4 =9$ for just one person each day and that is not changing for dinner --which will never happen:D. Laundry bags I can usually get about 2 days worth for 2 (and that is pretty well stuffed) so 30$ times 9 equals 270$. I know they have a laundry room but that is a pain to find a time when the whole ship in not in the room watching the machines go around.

Thanks for bringing this limited option up for discussion. I would never have thought to ask if this could be purchased -- suites and high loyalty get this benefit on many lines but I had never had it. They do limit the number of cabins with unlimited laundry so I went ahead and bought the package. OK this is sad but makes me REALLY HAPPY! A FORMER laundry room Queen.

I have read, can't swear to the truth of it, that some European passengers pack dirty laundry to bring aboard so it can be washed on the ship. That increases demand, which increases the price.

Does HAL have any prohibition against doing this? It seems quite logical to me, actually.

Does HAL have any prohibition against doing this? It seems quite logical to me, actually.

Those on HAL tours and those on travel before boarding will always have dirty laundry to turn-in that first day. It is normal and the first day may not be done the same day but definitely by the next.

My experience is that laundry can be returned anywhere from five hours to 15 hours after the first-day surge.

For our last cruise, we had ZERO time to get DH organized :( (and his recent injury didn't help either :eek: ) so his "good" shirts got packed straight from the closet and then sent to the laundry on our first day onboard. We just added them to the stuff we'd worn on our pre-cruise travel. First time we've ever done that, but probably not the last time. I have no intention of making a habit of it, but it sure did help with the pre-travel snarkiness ;)

None that I know of. I doubt they could tell the difference between clothes that came dirty from home vs. clothes that got dirty during pre-cruise touring.

I do remember the tale posted here, once. It was about a man who had brought his dinner clothes dirty from home, planning to have them dry cleaned free (suite passenger) once on board.

The cleaning machine was broken and he couldn't get it done. Oops.

Some people would see that as Karma.