Another laundry question

joanna111

I read the laundry threads but I couldn't find this:

Is there a difference -- other than price -- between the unlimited and the bag laundry? Are there things that the bag laundry doesn't cover?

Does anyone have the most recent prices? Our cruise will be out of Barcelona and the last leg will be transatlantic. I'm trying to do the math for 27 days. And what I've booked is two b2b cruises (not a collectors) with different booking numbers so I assume I could start or stop unlimited laundry when I switch from one cruise to another.

Since you have 2 booking numbers, you should be able to just have laundry on the second segment.

Once you are on the ship, just start stuffing the bag with dirty laundry. It will give you a good idea of how many days per bag you can get.

I read the laundry threads but I couldn't find this:

Is there a difference -- other than price -- between the unlimited and the bag laundry? Are there things that the bag laundry doesn't cover?

Does anyone have the most recent prices? Our cruise will be out of Barcelona and the last leg will be transatlantic. I'm trying to do the math for 27 days. And what I've booked is two b2b cruises (not a collectors) with different booking numbers so I assume I could start or stop unlimited laundry when I switch from one cruise to another.

Here is the latest laundry list with the prices for each piece:

HAL-Laundry-Bag-Price.jpg?i=2035827025

In April the bag was $20 and the unlimited was $7 a day (although I have seen posts that the unlimited is more for European cruises).

European cruises are usually $9 per day. Elsewhere, it's $7 per day. The bag is $20 everywhere.

I also felt I needed to know more about the laundry rates before I packed, so I called ship board services at HAL. They gave me the price on the phone.

Good.

Would you share the price with us?

Thanks. :)

Call HAL and ask for the price. If they quote you $7 per day for your cruise, either pay for it right there and then or ask to have a copy of that in writing. I got that price in June on the NA In Europe because I had it in writing otherwise the price would have been $9 per day. I was asked to keep it to myself and not share with the other passengers. Now that I am off the ship... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Niew Amsterdam 12 days from Barcelona to Venice. :)It's $30 per bag, stuff it really tight. I was able to put a lot of stuff, even though the bag doesn't look too big. It was well worth it.

Just returned from Niew Amsterdam 12 days from Barcelona to Venice. :)It's $30 per bag, stuff it really tight. I was able to put a lot of stuff, even though the bag doesn't look too big. It was well worth it.

I feel that charging $30 per bag in Europe vs. $20 in the western hemisphere is a real rip. It doesn't cost HAL more money to do a bag of laundry in Europe. I asked Ship's services about that and they said that because of the higher passenger loads and more expected laundry, the ship has the authority to raise the price of the per-bag rate. That makes no sense. If a cabin generates more than 1 bag of laundry, then they simply pay for 2 bags. The more you use the service, the more you pay. So, why gouge the passengers just because they can ?

Yes, broken buttons on men's shirts, stain on a t-shirt that wasn't there before, a bra that came back gray and ruined, slacks with a double crease ironed in that never came out.

but - all were taken care of and if not fixable were paid for in replacement costs. We learned to write on the order form - cold water wash and haven't had any problems since. I also pack with the laundry in mind and don't take things that need extra care or can't be replaced.

I feel that charging $30 per bag in Europe vs. $20 in the western hemisphere is a real rip.

The price on the western side of The Pond is $26 per bag, not $20. Still a mark-up, but not one I would call "gouging".

I have read, can't swear to the truth of it, that some European passengers pack dirty laundry to bring aboard so it can be washed on the ship. That increases demand, which increases the price. The post was made by someone who works on the ships, in a position to know.

Is the stuffed bag available every day, or only on certain "special" days?

Every day. I wouldn't send a bag the last 2-3 days of the cruise, because I want it back in plenty of time to pack. But if you're staying on for the next cruise, you can send it until the end.