Has Anyone Ever been denied boarding????

I posted this on another thread, but did not really get an answer to the question. I am wondering, has anyone ever been denied boarding due to incorrect ID/documentation? I see alot of posts concerning birth certificates, and there seems to be a lot of issues with having the correct ID (raised seals, hospital issed birth certificates, registration of,etc.). Has anyone been denied, and what happens in that case? Have you joined the cruise later, canceled, gotten a refund or what? Just curious as to how it was handled.

Thanks.:confused:

March 98, we saw a party of 5 denied boarding, Royal Princess, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as they did not have Brazilian Visas. The ship, en route to Barcelona Spain, did have two ports of call in Brazil (Rio and Recife).

Apparently Brazil is very fussy, even though they would have been in transit.

Pre-cruise documentation did in very clear terms state that Brazilian visas were required - they just did not read their documents.

Speaking with the Staff Captain later, he said that Brazil would have fined the ship a great deal of money, and possibly deny landing/docking rights; and that Princess was not going to run that risk.

We sailed, and the party of five was left on the dock, fuming!

Not on RCCL but on DCL we saw a family denied boarding becaues they didn't ahve the proper documentation. This was three years ago, and they've gotten stricter since then.

Anyone stupid enough to not get their act together prior to boarding gets what they deserve IMHO.

Anne

I posted this on another thread, but did not really get an answer to the question. I am wondering, has anyone ever been denied boarding due to incorrect ID/documentation? I see alot of posts concerning birth certificates, and there seems to be a lot of issues with having the correct ID (raised seals, hospital issed birth certificates, registration of,etc.). Has anyone been denied, and what happens in that case? Have you joined the cruise later, canceled, gotten a refund or what? Just curious as to how it was handled.

Thanks.:confused:

In another thread you mentioned that you've worked in a port during embarkation. You would probably have much more insight into this than any of us would.

-Monte

On a previous cruise my aunt was almost denied boarding. She had done the thing where you take your birth certificate to the courthouse and they make it into a credit card sized one that is laminated. It had a raised seal, but it was hard to make out the seal (at least the person checking her ID had issues with it). She was held up for 1 hour while they tried to determine if they were going to let her on the ship. They finally did, but no way will I ever go that route.

The people that most often get denied are those traveling out of the country with a child whose parents are divorced, so only one parent is present on the trip-

this never happened to me on a cruise, but it did happen to me on a flight from LAX to Mexico with my son-on flights, if only one parent is present to take a child out of the country, the traveling parent must have proof of sole custody, or a notarized release from the other parent not traveling (or a death certificate,yuck!!)

On a flight to Jamaica, I saw a woman and her daughter denied boarding because her husband had been dead 7 years, but she had failed to carry the original stamped death cert. with her, so they didn't let her go-I felt so sorry for the little girl standing there hearing all this ruckus about her dead father-

I was denied boarding, and had to locate my son's father to come to the airport and release our son to go-I did find him, but we missed the flight and had to take a later one. Now, wherever i go, I take my original, stamped courthouse sole custody agreement with me-

I mention this because cruises are moving in the same direction as airlines on this issue-by 2007, you will need the same custody or release documentation if only one parent is present-it's due to kidnappings by non-custodial parents in bad custody fights-

My TA already advises parents of this issue, and sends release documents to be notarized, even though the cruise lines are supposedly not enforcing until 2007-you never know, and it's better to be safe then denied boarding.

Well, not really, but I was scared for about two minutes . . .

My family checked in, was given boarding passes . . . but when we walked through the "tunnel" and ran our sea passes through the machine, MINE DIDN"T WORK! My husband and daughters gave me a look that said, "Wow, we're really going to miss Mom -- have fun in the terminal."

But they took me (just me) into a little room off to the side of the tunnel and printed me a new sea pass. Apparently mine had been printed on a damaged card of some sort.

about a 3 months after 911 we went on the sovereign like we have done in the past. We had been told they were really strict now since the attacks so we had everything in line did not bring my passport well just becasue it was in a safety box and we had nevr had a problem inthe past. I had a raised seal BC (so i thought) when we got to the counter the lady was like this is not a BC and i was like yes it is it is teh only one i have ever had gas a raised seal and everything I had been married recieved passports etc all from this BC she pointed out it was a HOSPITAL certificate with a hopsital seal but not an actuall BC well.... I was in a bit of a panic thinking my passport is inthe bank then relaized i could use my military ID so i was going to send hubbie back to get it... ( we live close) when they said not to worry about it and let me through with a stern warning to get it changed even told me how to.. I cannot belive I went all those years come to find out my mom NEVER went and got any of our BC from the state all we ever had was teh hospital one...I did get it changed but we always just bring our passport now....

My family checked in, was given boarding passes . . . but when we walked through the "tunnel" and ran our sea passes through the machine, MINE DIDN"T WORK! My husband and daughters gave me a look that said, "Wow, we're really going to miss Mom -- have fun in the terminal."

Too funnee!!!!!!!!:p :D :p

what about children with passports, my son and his girlfriend, and her son, who is the sole parent, are going on a cruise in January, does she still need a letter, or will the passport be sufficient. When she applied for the passport she had to have a notized letter stating that she is the sole parent. Thanks

I travel often with my kids and not hubbie when my first son was a year old we went out of the country twice since then about 4 x with both of them and I have never been asked (we do use a passport though not sure if that is the reason)

I always get an official form signed and notarized by my Ex before a cruise ... although they have never asked for it. Actually I went to the landfall travel web site tonight to download it and can't get it to load. The cruise is six months out, so it's not a big rush, but I'd just prefer to wrap up this detail early.

I may have to take the form from last year and recreate the document. I wish I'd saved a copy of the pdf last year.

My parents work for a cruise line checking in passengers and make sure all paperwork is legal and filled out properly, etc. They say there is almost always one family every cruise that is denied boarding (usually because they do something stupid like leave thier drivers license, birth certicate and passport at home or in thier car at the airport.) Most of the time security has to get involved when they are denied boarding because people are not happy they spent several thousand dollars and a flight to get to Florida to find out they can't enjoy thier vacation. Not to mention they have to find a hotel for a week or a very expensive flight back home booking it one hour's notice. One other comment, make sure you fill out all your paperwork properly and completely because this holds up the people behind you if you don't. Have your documentation out and ready when you get to the desk (not digging for it in your purse, pockets, or bags after you get to the counter.) The people behind you in line would like to get on the ship in a timely manner.

BTW - you do not get a refund on your cruise for not reading the instructions provided in the packet they send out. The cruise line tells you what to fill out and bring with you. If you don't follow thier instructions - you don't get to ride in thier ship. PERIOD!

If you are not sure what something means or what to bring, you can always call the cruise line. The customer service reps go through many hours of training to handle all of your questions.

I believed i was going to have problems getting on since i'm divorced and remarried. My BC didn't match my recent marriage license. So I went to the courthouse and got my Divorce Decree plus my first marriage licence just so i would have a trail. When I got to the port and handed them my drivers license and bc . They didn't ask for anything else. So i guess it depends on the port and the person.

I have taken my 8yo on 4 cruises and have never been asked for any kind of documentation from his mother. I was asked to provide a DC when I applied for his passport, but nothing else. His grandparents took him to Canada by car this summer and they were asked for documentation from me, and they used his passport and the notarized letter I sent with him. I also carry a copy of his moms DC in the passport holder just in case.

We have never been asked for a release for my step-son (pictured) on a cruise, just his BC, but when the travel requirements change in 2007 and we all need passports, a release will have to be done to get a passport, so those of you that have passports for your children, will not need a release, since it is required to get the passport in the 1st place.

In 2003 my family was traveling to Cancun.My 16 year old son was going with me along with my boyfriend his parents, his sister , my 21 year old daughter and her dh and my 19 year old dd. I didn't have a certified copy of my late husbands death certificate and they were going to hold ALL of our party from leaving even though everyone else was over 18 and half our party was not even related!! We were fortunate that one of the ticket agents told me we could have a copy faxed to them if they got it an hour before the flight. Thank god for good neighbors and cell phones . I called my neighbor and she drove over , got the certificate and drove up to the local library and had it faxed. thankfully we had a 5 hour layover in chicago or none of us would have been able to fly out that day. Never did understand why ALL of us couldn't go.

Archived