Is a power strip ok?

thehams

We are on the NOS next month and I've read there is normally only 1 outlet in the room. Does this seem correct?

I have read about people bringing power strips, but I've also read they are not aloud.

We will have 3 things to plug in, one being my Husband's sleep apnea machine.

Any know the rules about this?

The official list bans Extension Cords.

Most power strips are confiscated and returned. Power strips with surge protectors are considered a fire hazard and should not be used onboard (and yes, RCI's web page remains all but silent on this, but there are too many reports of them being confiscated to ignore, and the handful of people on this board who've worked in shipboard fire safety repeatedly state no surge protectors!).

There are usually two 110V and two 220V outlets in the cabin. For a CPAP, contact the Special Needs department and the ship will provide whatever is needed to connect it, and usually distilled water as well.

For most everything else, it's become too simple to pick up a multi-port USB charger (Anker for sale on Amazon makes AMAZING ones). What else do you need to plug in?

Hi the hams,

I have sleep apnea and we have two sleep machines and I bring one power strip and one extension cord for them. We have had no problems bringing them on board.

Wendy

We are on the NOS next month and I've read there is normally only 1 outlet in the room. Does this seem correct?

I have read about people bringing power strips, but I've also read they are not aloud.

We will have 3 things to plug in, one being my Husband's sleep apnea machine.

Any know the rules about this?

The official list bans Extension Cords.

Most power strips are confiscated and returned. Power strips with surge protectors are considered a fire hazard and should not be used onboard (and yes, RCI's web page remains all but silent on this, but there are too many reports of them being confiscated to ignore, and the handful of people on this board who've worked in shipboard fire safety repeatedly state no surge protectors!).

There are usually two 110V and two 220V outlets in the cabin. For a CPAP, contact the Special Needs department and the ship will provide whatever is needed to connect it, and usually distilled water as well.

For most everything else, it's become too simple to pick up a multi-port USB charger (Anker for sale on Amazon makes AMAZING ones). What else do you need to plug in?

I have taken a power strip on 51 cruises, including two this year and it has never been confiscated. Until RCI bans them I will bring the power strip. I don't bring an extension cord.

As far as surge protectors being a fire hazard and that they should not be used on board.....the same. I will take the cruise lines word on those too. They don't say they should not be brought onboard.

That is a surge protector which some self proclaimed experts say is a fire hazard on cruise ships. If it is a fire hazard then they should convince the cruise lines......

Don't know where you get your information .. but this is acceptable on all cruise lines.

That is a surge protector which some self proclaimed experts say is a fire hazard on cruise ships. If it is a fire hazard then they should convince the cruise lines......

You mean like the U. S. Coast Guard? :-) check the link:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Again; it's the surge protector part that can be hazardous. I use a short 6 inch extension cord that has three outlets at the other end. I also bring a Type "E" plug adapter to utilize the 220V outlet. (Usually for my CPAP machine.)

Aloha.

John

You mean like the U. S. Coast Guard? :-) check the link:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Again; it's the surge protector part that can be hazardous. I use a short 6 inch extension cord that has three outlets at the other end. I also bring a Type "E" plug adapter to utilize the 220V outlet. (Usually for my CPAP machine.)

Aloha.

John

I read that Coast Guard 2013 document but that does not mean it applies to your cruise ship. The fires were caused by faulty wiring. Do you believe that Royal Caribbean is ignoring the US Coast Guard alert from 2013?

I don't have a surge protector, I am packing the Monster Outlets to Go Power Strip or useing the European Plug adapters myself but the cruise lines have not banned those Belikan Surge Protectors which the OP pictured and thousands of cruise passengers use. Do you think Royal Caribbean would allow those surge protectors if there was proof they caused fires?

Edited by Charles4515

We have 2 cell phones and a cpap to plug in.

I called RCCL directly and you CAN bring a power strip.

If you have something like a cpap machine they will give you an extension cord for it, since the plug isn't near the bed.

I guess the most important thing is the extension cord, but they will provide it..so all good!

I plan to bring this travel size power strip, the one I use on all my business travels.

That one's pretty cool.

This is what I took on our last trip. Liked it so much I just bought their 10 port charger for home!

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Charger/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439500520&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+usb+charger

511GAiAhI6L._SL1000_.jpg

I've found that most things I need to plug in and charge (not all) use a USB cable and this was perfect. It also keeps you from having to take a stack of individual adapters for each item, which cuts down on packing quite a bit.