Four seasons or intercontinental Sydney?

Hello all. I am taking a Queensland cruise in October on the sun princess, leaving from and returning to Brisbane. We are then flying to Sydney for four nights and are on the fence between the Four Seasons and the Intercontinental Sydney, which are about the same price. The Park Hyatt and Shangri-la are way more expensive so it's really between those two. Any input will help! Thanks!!

I just thought to throw this into the mix. On our last visit to Sydney (started and ended our trip to Oz in Sydney), we first stayed at the Russell Hotel which is rather eclectic, and on the flip at Sydney Harbor Marriott which was very nice and convenient to Circular Quay.

I can't comment on the Four Seasons, never stayed there, but for my 2 bob's worth. I have stayed at the Intercontinetal 3 times and find the service outstanding breakfast is fantastic rooms are great.

Stayed at the Marriot 2 times find it a bit run down compared with other, nothing wrong with it.

Stayed at the Shangri La 3 times... It is the best in my view, breakfast not as good as others. but nicer rooms. and service. Get a room with a view of the bridge and opera house. you will remember it forever!

regards Peter

Lindsay,

I have stayed at both hotels and would recommend the Four Seasons.

The views from the rooms are spectacular(providing you get a full or partial harbour view room) also very close to Circular Quay 2 - 3 minute walk.

You can't go wrong.

We have stayed at the four Seasons several times pre-cruise. We love it. Wonderful comfy beds, a view of the harbour and great staff. The breakfast is wonderful, but all high end hotels are way overpriced for breakfast. We wander down to the Rocks area and have breakfast in one of the cafes.

A 5 minute walk, if that to circular quay on cruise day.

We have stayed at the four Seasons several times pre-cruise. We love it. Wonderful comfy beds, a view of the harbour and great staff. The breakfast is wonderful, but all high end hotels are way overpriced for breakfast. We wander down to the Rocks area and have breakfast in one of the cafes.

A 5 minute walk, if that to circular quay on cruise day.

I stay in Sydney a fair bit, but rarely eat breakfast in the hotel [price is just crazy], normally grab something at Maccas or Subway or one of the little cafes.

They don't 'include' breakfast, but neither does intercontinental. All in for 4 nights with breakfast four seasons comes out to a total of $55 USD more than intercontinental...

$55 for for Breakfasts is pretty good n Sydney, that's about Aus$17.50 each I think last weekend we paid about $25 or $30 each [we were at a conference in the Hunter Valley and Breakfast was part of the bundle and we couldn't get out of it].

We like both. The Four Seasons has magnificent views over the Harbour IF you get a room that specifies harbour views. We had a full harbour view Club room and simply loved it. It looked right down on the cruise ship berth and so very exciting for anyone boarding. It is the best hotel for a stroll down to circular quay and boarding.

The intercontinental is just a little further away although still an easy walk and has more atmosphere - old fashioned some would say but we love the traditional approach and the historical building. It has great views from the indoor pool and the club lounge - again only some rooms have harbour views so check if that is important to you.

I think you would be very comfortable in either. They are both top class.

Four seasons seems to be the clear winner!! Thanks SOO much for all your input!!

Great choice!! We stayed there at the Four Seasons earlier last year before commencing our cruise to New Zealand as detailed below. Wonderful, handy location. Below are three of my visuals to preview for the hotel staff, interior, morning breakfast buffet, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 115,652 views for this posting.

Here are three views inside the Four Seasons Sydney. First, the staff greeting us at The Woods dining location. Nice flowers!! Second is an overview of the main lobby’s three-story atrium. Third is one of the staff members in one of several breakfast buffet serving area on our final morning there before boarding the Solstice.:

SidneyTwo19_zps7f16909d.jpg

SidneyTwo_zpsdff9e72b.jpg

SidneyTwo1_zps120cf7ac.jpg

We have stayed at both. Intercontinental is a nice hotel with a fantastic club so if you are able to book a club room - go for the Intercontinental for the club. The rooms are a bit ordinary really.

Alternatively, the Four Seasons has much better rooms though I think their basic rooms are rather small. Go for the next category up - the rooms are much bigger. Four Seasons also have a coffee machine in the lobby in the mornings which is really nice. :)

Am here in Sydney right now....at Hilton. But, having walked around and experience with both hotels, would take the Four Seasons .

CruiserBruce, I hope you are enjoying your time in Sydney. Are yo going on a cruise too?

Enjoy.

Keith