My TA says don't touch MSC??

Donsyb

We have been looking at booking MSC Opera from Cuba next year, however my TA (a friend) says he won't touch them because whenever he's booked anyone on MSC they've had nothing but complaints afterwards.

Are they really that bad? We're limited in choice as currently the only cruise lines visiting Cuba are MSC, Thomson (great itinerary but almost twice the price of MSC) and Cuba Cruise (again very expensive).

We have been looking at booking MSC Opera from Cuba next year, however my TA (a friend) says he won't touch them because whenever he's booked anyone on MSC they've had nothing but complaints afterwards.

Are they really that bad? We're limited in choice as currently the only cruise lines visiting Cuba are MSC, Thomson (great itinerary but almost twice the price of MSC) and Cuba Cruise (again very expensive).

lol. Remind me when I wanted to book my second cruise with Costa . Agent was telling me not to go with Costa because they very bad .I had to tell him 10 times that I love Costa and want this! cruise with Costa not any other cruise with Princess. I ended up to hang up and booked from web. Needless to say we had wonderful cruise on Costa Magica and I even got pregnant on board :p (not Costa fault LOL)

While it may not be the case with your friend, it is my understand there is a financial reason that TAs do not want their customers to book MSC. The big cruise lines provide a financial incentive if they hit certain targets.

One of the couples we met on MSC said that they were not going to work with their travel agent in the future. The TA basically called them morons for booking a cruise a MSC. It was one of their favorite cruises, and they are seasoned cruisers.

Yes! They are really that bad. Consult the BBB out of Miami who lists MSC with a rating of "F". This type of rating is based on customer service. In all honesty, I have had the worst customer service experiences with MSC, not only compared to other cruise lines, but to consumer related companies in general.

I love the onboard MSC experience. They have beautiful, spotless, elegant and new ships, definitely better than Thomsons ships.

Dealing with them Landside can be a challenge, they're not the most organised on a good day and chaotic and controlled by Napoli at their worst, so hence why some TAs don't want to deal with them. I just book direct by phone.

Thomson and MSC are a different product hough. Many Brits love Thomson despite the older smaller ships because they cater to Brits, bit of a home away from home. That is the reason they don't appeal to me in the slightest, I want different when I go overseas. MSC is very much Italian themed, with a very mixed passenger base. English is spoken onboard but so are 4 or 5 other languages.

My TA booked us for this past April and even rebooked us when MSC offered a better deal with am OBC. He has said he has to stay on them but he also has a connection with an actual MSC rep to get things done. He booked our upcoming B2B which had to be moved from November to December. If there was an issue he didn't say anything to me. Within 48 hours we had new confirmations and all money was transferred. I guess I'm lucky it's been good for us with no problems booking with/thru our TA. OR maybe our TA knows how to handle MSC.

This is our first time dealing with MSC. They have stated that they realize that if they want to have a presence in the U.S.market, they need to give Americans what they want and expect. (paraphrased by me). The new ship being built will be in Miami in 2017. It is being built with the American Mentality in mind so they are committed to being in the U.S. for some time. They also committed to making their terminal in Miami more consumer friendly.

They are having Phillapino crew when it gets here in the fall. I have spoken to them three times in the last 3 days and each person I spoke with answered my questions. We are giving them a try in June. By then, they should have the "american way" down pat. We are willing to give them a try and hopefully they will rise to the occasion.

Did they have a bad rep last time they were here in Miami, Yes. But I think they are trying to right the past wrongs.

Only time will tell!!!!

UHHHHHHGH!!!! MSC was our best cruise experience, we loved the ship, and the FOOD was wonderful, please don't be afraid to expand your horizons a little, also not only was the food wonderful, the shows were the BEST I have seen. On our cruise on the Liberty in April I got up and walked out on two shows because they stunk, not the case on MSC.

I would use someone else. We love MSC, but you have to be ready for an international mixture on board. You have to be ready for different kind of entertainment, which in our opinion far surpasses any of our other cruises.

To be honest, MSC is so far superior to any of the other ship entertainment that we try to get aisle row seating when we cruise on another line to leave the production shows on other lines. The singers on MSC are seasoned singers and the dancers really dance. No words can be describe a MSC show.... like nothing else seen on a cruise.

I have had such wonderful customer service experience. Stellar as a matter of fact. To the point where I was told if I ever need anything, let them know. I have needed some things, emailed that person and in a day.... resolved!

I have no idea why others have such a hard time. I have found they try hard and even have called me back at an assigned time to tell me what they have worked out.

Skyking: I understand walking out on other shows. Isn't it amazing how horrible those shows are compared to MSC! There is really no comparisons. The shows on MSC are a feast for the senses.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

Maybe that TA doesn't sell MSC or gets a lower commission. I've had a TA tell me not to sail Celebrity.

^^ This is my guess. When someone is in a position to make money on a deal, their opinions are always biased. Ever have a Honda salesman admit to you that the Toyota down the road is a comparable car? NO! They're going to tell you that only Honda can get you to work and back every day.

I always book vacations almost 1 year in advance and when I booked my first cruise on MSC Fantasia I was horrified while reading all the bad reviews!!

I'm so glad I didn't chicken out it was fabulous!!! So much so that I have another one booked for February :D

Taste is a very, very subject thing and if you T.A.'s policy is not to even allow you to try something new then drop him - He can tell you what he doesn't like about MSC but not scare you off like that, it's just not professional, imo,

Your TA is getting complaints from everyone he has ever booked. Did you ask him what the complaints are? Because that is what I personally would like to know it my TA would tell me thus. Not that I am using a TA, I book my own trips because than I can only blame myself if something is not the way as I expected it.

My first instinct is that your TA is not getting very good compensation for booking clients with MSC and therefore will try to steer you away. Can't blame them as they too need to support their families. I say book online. I used their website and had no issue. I got in with their All In special for a Med cruise next year.

My parents cruised with them a few years ago out of Miami on the Opera and they had a great time...so I'm willing to give them a shot...with their kids sail free promo, it was the best priced and the best itinerary for my money.

I'm not expecting a Carnival like experience, because they are a european cruise line so I have no doubt things will be different. Like REAL gelato and Pizza:D

I'm italian though, so it shouldn't be a culture clash for us.

They are fine but that is as much as I can say about them. If you are 'mainstream' with no special requests etc you will probably get on fine. However, ask for something out of the ordinary and the junior staff are not given the autonomy to deal with the issue and therefore it can become a palava! Their default position is 'No' - if you persist, you may get a 'yes'.

They are a little more forthcoming on their ships but their customer service landside can indeed be challenging.

I have sailed on 8 lines and they are easily the worst by a good margin which is a pity because their ships are stunning, food good to excellent, entertainment is great. However, their cabins are quite cosy (small) and their itineraries while on paper look fine, note that many of them particularly in the Med have very short times in port - which makes doing DIY excursions more challenging particularly if the port is not the reason for visiting the reason and you need to take onward public transport.

So regardless of what your TA says and I agree with their sentiment and think it has nothing to do with Commission etc - look at other costs - you mention Thomson - yes older ships but a first class customer service, reasonably priced shore excursion of about £29 per half day as opposed to €89 on MSC. Thomson also include gratuities, MSC are €8.50 per day. Drinks prices on Thomson are comparable to UK pub prices with mixers 'free' whereas expect to pay €8 plus 15% for a G&T on MSC. Thomson's food I rate as superior. Their fly cruise packages are also more integrated than MSCs as they use their own planes so you may be better protected or at least have fewer hassles. Their flights will be non-stop whereas MSC will use a scheduled carrier and you will be routed on the cheapest route which is unlikely to be the direct one - so expect a change of aircraft and stopover (which may be lengthy) on an MSC fly package. On disembarkation day, Thomson will only disembark you prior to your flight - MSC will disembark you first thing in the morning and transfer you to the airport where you may have to wait several hours for your flight. I have know instances of being transferred to the airport at 10am for an 8pm flight. Thomson also spend a minimum of 10 hours in port - MSC it is often 6! If you like new spiffy ships Thomson's are old but I would not say past it!

Look carefully at what you are getting - spending an extra few quid may be money well spent!

tomvet wrote

They are fine but that is as much as I can say about them. If you are 'mainstream' with no special requests etc you will probably get on fine. However, ask for something out of the ordinary and the junior staff are not given the autonomy to deal with the issue and therefore it can become a palava! Their default position is 'No' - if you persist, you may get a 'yes'.

They are a little more forthcoming on their ships but their customer service landside can indeed be challenging.

I have sailed on 8 lines and they are easily the worst by a good margin which is a pity because their ships are stunning, food good to excellent, entertainment is great. However, their cabins are quite cosy (small) and their itineraries while on paper look fine, note that many of them particularly in the Med have very short times in port - which makes doing DIY excursions more challenging particularly if the port is not the reason for visiting the reason and you need to take onward public transport.

So regardless of what your TA says and I agree with their sentiment and think it has nothing to do with Commission etc - look at other costs - you mention Thomson - yes older ships but a first class customer service, reasonably priced shore excursion of about £29 per half day as opposed to €89 on MSC. Thomson also include gratuities, MSC are €8.50 per day. Drinks prices on Thomson are comparable to UK pub prices with mixers 'free' whereas expect to pay €8 plus 15% for a G&T on MSC. Thomson's food I rate as superior. Their fly cruise packages are also more integrated than MSCs as they use their own planes so you may be better protected or at least have fewer hassles. Their flights will be non-stop whereas MSC will use a scheduled carrier and you will be routed on the cheapest route which is unlikely to be the direct one - so expect a change of aircraft and stopover (which may be lengthy) on an MSC fly package. On disembarkation day, Thomson will only disembark you prior to your flight - MSC will disembark you first thing in the morning and transfer you to the airport where you may have to wait several hours for your flight. I have know instances of being transferred to the airport at 10am for an 8pm flight. Thomson also spend a minimum of 10 hours in port - MSC it is often 6! If you like new spiffy ships Thomson's are old but I would not say past it!

Look carefully at what you are getting - spending an extra few quid may be money well spent!

Your experience of MSC flights is somewhat different to mine Tom!!

I've done 12 cruises with MSC of which 11 required flights.

Of these 11, I've had 8 with flights through MSC.

All my flights, which include flights to Genoa, Venice, Miami, and Cape Town have been direct and on British Airways. no stop-overs or changes of aircraft.

I would summise you get a bum deal on flights because you are based in Eire and not the UK, so haven't got the benefit of major airports hubs like LHR LGW and Birmingham and Manchester'

BA are a scheduled carrier. I think you mean a charter carrier which is people like jet2, Monarch, Flybe etc.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, we are European (British and French), so our expectations and previous experiences may be different to some of you.

His reasons for not liking them were:

They don't like Brits

Rude staff

Expensive drinks

Now with some Brits I don't blame them ;) We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise so drinks have to be cheaper than that LOL! :D

We're obviously not expecting it to be like RCI - I just want clean, edible food and polite staff? It's a port intensive itinerary, and as it's Cuba our options are very limited, so we don't have a great deal of choice.

Think we'll just got for it - 3 nights are docked in Havana anyway so we don't need to spend much time on ship then and there's only 1 sea day.

Also we will arrange our own flights anyway as we will add a few days on at the beginning/ end.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, we are European (British and French), so our expectations and previous experiences may be different to some of you.

His reasons for not liking them were:

They don't like Brits

Rude staff

Expensive drinks

Now with some Brits I don't blame them ;) We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise so drinks have to be cheaper than that LOL! :D

We're obviously not expecting it to be like RCI - I just want clean, edible food and polite staff? It's a port intensive itinerary, and as it's Cuba our options are very limited, so we don't have a great deal of choice.

Think we'll just got for it - 3 nights are docked in Havana anyway so we don't need to spend much time on ship then and there's only 1 sea day.

Also we will arrange our own flights anyway as we will add a few days on at the beginning/ end.

I've never felt that they don't like Brits in fact many of the staff came from commonwealth countries, such as the indian sub continent and South Africa as well as many east europeans.

The only time I have seen what I consider to be rude staff is when impatient Brits shout at reception staff. You have to remember they are often speaking in their 2nd or even 3rd language and a little patience and consideration go a long way.

(They guests i witnessed were the typical stereotype of the Brit just starting to speak louder, but still in English, often in a heavy regional accent, when confronted with someone who is trying their best to understand what is being said to them)

I've always found staff very helpful, especially when you treat them with respect.

As for drinks being expensive, IMHO the alllegrissimo package is one of the best drinks packages there is for value, and it's the only one i know which runs from the moment you board to the moment you step off on the last day. The package includes alcoholic drinks (wines, draught beers and cocktails), water, soft drinks, coffees and real icecream.

i wonder whether your TA (friend) has actually been on an MSC cruise

The ships are always spotless, the food is good to excellent (3 - 5 stars out of a possible maximum of 5) though heavily Italian influenced. It will be very different to RCI,

Typically 6 - 7 courses (but smaller portions than RCI)

1) Appetizer

2) Salad

3) Soup

4) Pasta and Risotto (the risotto have always been superb)

5) Main course

6) Cheese

7) Desserts and fruit

In addition there is an "always available" usually:-

Salad;

penne or spaghetti with bolognese or tomato and basil sauce;

Steamed fish ;

beef or chicken dish with seasonal veg.

Just my thoughts on the type of info you are seeking

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I've never felt that they don't like Brits in fact many of the staff came from commonwealth countries, such as the indian sub continent and South Africa as well as many east europeans.

The only time I have seen what I consider to be rude staff is when impatient Brits shout at reception staff. You have to remember they are often speaking in their 2nd or even 3rd language and a little patience and consideration go a long way.

(They guests i witnessed were the typical stereotype of the Brit just starting to speak louder, but still in English, often in a heavy regional accent, when confronted with someone who is trying their best to understand what is being said to them)

I've always found staff very helpful, especially when you treat them with respect.

As for drinks being expensive, IMHO the alllegrissimo package is one of the best drinks packages there is for value, and it's the only one i know which runs from the moment you board to the moment you step off on the last day. The package includes alcoholic drinks (wines, draught beers and cocktails), water, soft drinks, coffees and real icecream.

i wonder whether your TA (friend) has actually been on an MSC cruise

The ships are always spotless, the food is good to excellent (3 - 5 stars out of a possible maximum of 5) though heavily Italian influenced. It will be very different to RCI,

Typically 6 - 7 courses (but smaller portions than RCI)

1) Appetizer

2) Salad

3) Soup

4) Pasta and Risotto (the risotto have always been superb)

5) Main course

6) Cheese

7) Desserts and fruit

In addition there is an "always available" usually:-

Salad;

penne or spaghetti with bolognese or tomato and basil sauce;

Steamed fish ;

beef or chicken dish with seasonal veg.

Just my thoughts on the type of info you are seeking

Pete

Yes I know what some Brits abroad can be like!

He openly admitted he had never been on an MSC ship, he had been on Thomson once and also hated that.....

I'm getting hungry just thinking about the food! We've decided to book - just waiting for a different travel agent to call me back :-)

I'm really looking forward to this trip and am going in with an open mind. I'm usually not very picky and expect the experience to be different than american lines that trip over themselves to please you. Italians tend to be more aloof..but I know that going in and have managed my expectations. The itinerary I chose has whole days in port and is very port intensive..though I am traveling with my mom who is elderly and my 6 year old daughter so I'm opting to do the half day excursions so that I don't tire both out. Besides I do want to enjoy the ship itself and some downtime by the pool.

The idea of sunbathing on a greek isle will make up for any rudeness I may encounter on a ship...

I'm really looking forward to this trip and am going in with an open mind. I'm usually not very picky and expect the experience to be different than american lines that trip over themselves to please you. Italians tend to be more aloof..but I know that going in and have managed my expectations. The itinerary I chose has whole days in port and is very port intensive..though I am traveling with my mom who is elderly and my 6 year old daughter so I'm opting to do the half day excursions so that I don't tire both out. Besides I do want to enjoy the ship itself and some downtime by the pool.

The idea of sunbathing on a greek isle will make up for any rudeness I may encounter on a ship...

I was curious to see the itinerary of your cruise-but,unfortunately-there are not whole days in port (well,just 2...almost);I made a copy of the itinerary-take a look:

Cruise

MSC Orchestra: All the elements onboard MSC Orchestra work in harmony to create an outstanding experience for your cruise vacation. Attention to detail, Mediterranean hospitality, delicious Italian cuisine: a perfect location for a carefree cruise vacation at sea!

Cruise Itinerary

Day Date Port Arrival Departure Activity*

1 Sun Jun 05 Venice .... 17:00 Docked

2 Mon Jun 06 Bari 13:00 18:00 Docked

3 Tue Jun 07 Katakolon 13:00 19:00 Docked

4 Wed Jun 08 Santorini 09:00 17:00

5 Thu Jun 09 Piraeus 07:30 16:30 Docked

6 Fri Jun 10 Corfù 12:30 18:30 Docked

7 Sat Jun 11 Kotor 07:00 13:00 Docked/Tender

8 Sun Jun 12 Venice 09:00 .... Docked

*Information subject to change based on anchorage availability.

By then, they should have the "american way" down pat.

Ugh! I hope what you heard about MSC's new Miami ship in 2017 doesn't pan out. Why I loved my first MSC sailing was because it was different than the American way. Such a beautiful mix of languages and cultures all having a good time together!