which would you choose?

busymom_ot

We were booked on the Magic next May to celebrate my DD's HS graduation. This week the school announced they had to move graduation- to the day of our embarkation! We now must re-book. We can do the same itinerary on the Magic (Grand Turk, Amber Cove DR, St Thomas & San Juan) 2 weeks later for $2000 more for our 2 cabins. Or we can go on the Splendor 9 day Journeys cruise to Grand Turk, Amber Cove DR and Bermuda for $2150 more. We're thinking take 2 extra days and opportunity to see Bermuda! What would you choose? (We could also do a western itinerary for ~$1000-1200 more, but our last several cruises have gone west & we were excited to go east again.)

The specific ships aside (Magic vs. Splendor), if it were me I think I would spend the extra $2150 (extra $150 over rebooking Magic two weeks later for the same itin) for the additional days and a trip to Bermuda - we've never been there, not sure if you have. Unless you really wanted to see San Juan and St. Thomas?

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know what "throwback perks" or other original experiences are on the Journeys cruises?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Check it out here:

http://carnival-news.com/2015/03/05/introducing-carnival-journeys-a-new-series-of-one-of-a-kind-longer-length-voyages-featuring-spectacular-ports-of-call-and-special-onboard-experiences/

Does the son really want to do the graduation exercise?

My kids would rather have had the two thousand to put on a car or college...

It's her DAUGHTER. And that's the point, your kid is different than her kid. Different strokes for different folks.

It amazes me the gall some people have to ask these kind of questions.

To the OP-

I would go to Bermuda on the Journeys cruise. Have fun!!!

I actually asked my daughter how important it was to walk. She wants to & I wouldn't take that away from her. Also, she's bringing her best friend who also wants to attend graduation.

Paying $2000 more for an extra long cruise & exotic port (Bermuda) seems less painful than paying it for the exact same cruise we should have been on. We were looking forward to experiencing the Magic but Splendor appears to be pretty well liked also. (Would have loved if it was still the Breeze!)

Does the son really want to do the graduation exercise?

My kids would rather have had the two thousand to put on a car or college...

1. My MIL is taking my son on a graduation cruise. He wasn't offered a cash out option. she wants to spend time with him and he's game, so that's a good thing :)

2. There really is something to be said for memories being worth more than things. Some people choose to drive cheap cars so they can afford vacations with their loved ones. Everyone has different priorities. His grandma won't live forever, but the memories they make will. A car is temporary. I'm sure the same can be said for the OP. :)

It amazes me the gall some people have to ask these kind of questions.

It was a simple, legitimate question. And it wasn't even directed at you. Why do you have to be so rude?

Of course, I suppose I shouldn't get involved because this doesn't involve me, but I found your remark rude and completely unnecessary. There is nothing wrong with a person asking an honest question.

It was a simple, legitimate question. And it wasn't even directed at you. Why do you have to be so rude?

Of course, I suppose I shouldn't get involved because this doesn't involve me, but I found your remark rude and completely unnecessary. There is nothing wrong with a person asking an honest question.

That's funny that you find me rude, when I found the poster I replied to to be rude. I admit I do get put off by people who ask irrelevant questions when the OP is asking something entirely different.

Is it so hard to stick to the topic at hand, rather than inject what YOU would do that has nothing at all to do with the original question?

Moving on...

Edited by trixiegal

You asked a very reasonable question in a very nice way and it is possible the OP had never thought of it as an alternative.

Thank you very much.

I appreciate your comment.:)

I thought I was asking a reasonable question and did not understand that response.

I have been on these boards for ten years now :eek: and I try to be nice and helpful if I can, so :confused:

Anyway thank you.

1. My MIL is taking my son on a graduation cruise. He wasn't offered a cash out option. she wants to spend time with him and he's game, so that's a good thing :)

2. There really is something to be said for memories being worth more than things. Some people choose to drive cheap cars so they can afford vacations with their loved ones. Everyone has different priorities. His grandma won't live forever, but the memories they make will. A car is temporary. I'm sure the same can be said for the OP. :)

That is lovely.

I was talking about skipping the graduation exercises, not the cruise!

My oldest daughter went on a cruise with her grandmother to celebrate her

8th grade graduation.

The only time that they could go was before school got out.

I asked the principal and she told me that she would learn more traveling than she would in a few days at school. And she was right.

Here is one more question, and I am not meaning to be rude, but I see you live in TN, and we live in KY. So, is there a chance that graduation would be delayed again because of winter weather? Last years weather added another 3 weeks to our school year. Instead Of the last day of school being May 23, it was June 12th. A lot of vacation plans got messed up this last year. :( And it would be a shame if that happened to your cruise.

All that being said, I would add the 2 days and see Bermuda. =) Good luck, and have a great trip.

I actually asked my daughter how important it was to walk. She wants to & I wouldn't take that away from her. Also, she's bringing her best friend who also wants to attend graduation.

Paying $2000 more for an extra long cruise & exotic port (Bermuda) seems less painful than paying it for the exact same cruise we should have been on. We were looking forward to experiencing the Magic but Splendor appears to be pretty well liked also. (Would have loved if it was still the Breeze!)

I am glad your daughter is able to do both.

It would be difficult if she had to choose.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Perhaps all of us should quite cruising altogether, save the money for retirement. HUH! :rolleyes:

Oh dear, too late.

DH had to retire earlier than planned and it is a bit of an adjustment.

Fewer cruises, but savored more.

Thinking back on the cruises I took for granted makes me feel a bit ashamed.

In hindsight, save more money for retirement because it comes quicker than you may realized.

But also relax and make some good memories when you can.:)

Oh dear, too late.

DH had to retire earlier than planned and it is a bit of an adjustment.

Fewer cruises, but savored more.

Thinking back on the cruises I took for granted makes me feel a bit ashamed.

In hindsight, save more money for retirement because it comes quicker than you may realized.

But also relax and make some good memories when you can.:)

Well, I was being sarcastic, but in truth there has to be a balance between the two. Life with no fun, retirement without money, nether is attractive.