Ultimate Ship Tour worth it?

dcl1710

I know this has been addressed before but I could not find the thread. Do they time it in a way that does not interfere with Glacier Bay touring on a sea day? We are thinking of signing up for it but do not want to lose the beauty of the Glacier Bay.

I know this has been addressed before but I could not find the thread. Do they time it in a way that does not interfere with Glacier Bay touring on a sea day? We are thinking of signing up for it but do not want to lose the beauty of the Glacier Bay.

It'll be timed to not interfere. I found it worth it. Got lots of goodies, though I understand some have changed. We got:

Plush robe

Chefs coat

8x10 frame

5-7 pictures

Personalized Stationary

other things I cant remember

treats in the Galley and at the end.

It was very informative and very interesting. Ours ran over four hours. We missed the Medical bay and the funnel because of an emergency and weather.

I plan to do it on the Regal next spring due to it being so different from the Sapphire and I'll have 9 sea days to kill. :)

We've done it on several ships and some are more interesting than others.. Only made it into the medical center twice, since they won't usually allow tours if there are patients. The Funnel on the Ruby Princess was exciting..That was the newest ship we'd toured and the first where the funnel was included. I think some of the newer ships have more interesting tours into the Stage Production areas and newer Eco-systems.. But, no matter which ship you see, it's well worth the cost to meet the crew behind the scenes and see your cruise ship from top to bottom .. literally .. The gifts more than cover the cost of your tour, if that is your focus.. Fun Times! We look forward to doing it again...:D

Does this have to be booked after boarding? What is the cost?

Make it your number 1 priority as soon as you board. They only take about 12-14 and sometimes the sign-up list gets filled very fast. One time we didn't make it and they even did a random lottery pick. On the Ruby there were so many they actually did it twice which I believe was unusual. Cost was $150 and well worth it as stated by others. Plan on leaving extra room ( and weight if flying) in your luggage for the gifts. The deluxe robes alone weigh about seven pounds, plus photos, frames, personalized stationery, etc. We were able to see everything, including the medical center. The only down side, at least for us, was when the loading area and the print shop spend WAY to long talking. Informative, yes, but could have cut it much shorter. I think it is a must for anyone interested in seeing behind the scenes and makes you appreciate things much more.

The only down side, at least for us, was when the loading area and the print shop spend WAY to long talking. Informative, yes, but could have cut it much shorter.

There are times that if the bridge tour is included, they have to adjust the timing as not to interfere with tactical operations.

Do they allow photos in some of the areas toured? Or are they banned completely?

When on the bridge part of the tour I have asked the Captain if it is OK to take pictures on the bridge and have always been told "yes."

Has anyone fine one in the Grand? I know she's "older" but I think that she's still a beauty and I'd like to take my Father on a tour of her.

We took this tour on the Grand on our very first cruise 3 years ago. It was very interesting and we are talking about doing it again depending on the ship and itinerary. I am sure that although the Grand is aging it would still be a great tour.

There are times that if the bridge tour is included, they have to adjust the timing as not to interfere with tactical operations.

Don't think that was the case this time as we spent a good 30 minutes with the Captain in the bridge as he explained so much for us. All in all I think it is a must see at least once.

We took this tour on the Grand on our very first cruise 3 years ago. It was very interesting and we are talking about doing it again depending on the ship and itinerary. I am sure that although the Grand is aging it would still be a great tour.

Took the UST on the Grand in April (Van/Hawaii rt). Was VERY interesting and worth every penny of the cost - top to bottom, side to side and stem to stern. With a goodie package delivered to our stateroom later that afternoon that was worth at least the cost of the tour.

...VTX-Al