Where do you watch the sail away from?

Seany527

I'm getting ready for my upcoming cruise, leaving Port Canaveral, and not sure where I would prefer to be for the sail away. It is my first time having an aft extended balcony. So would an open deck be more enjoyable or the balcony? Where do you watch from, and why?

Good question. I've been up front highest deck towards the bow, mid ship just above the Lido, sitting on a regular balcony, and furthest aft for different sail aways.

But I have my first aft extended balcony on the Magic in November and I'll probably be enjoying the view from there as the ship leaves port. I also anticipate spending time there on the 3 sea days that cruise offers. I don't know when I'll do an aft again, so I'll enjoy the moments at hand.

Before I started cruising, I used to think that the sail away was some big deal. I was rather disappointed to find out that the ship just starts moving away. No fanfare, countdown, announcements or anything. A lot of people just watch from the lido deck railing, there's LOUD deck music playing and some people dancing. Normally I'm unpacking or visiting the spa for their big drawings.

I have enjoyed sail away from many different locations. First cruise had an interior so one of the secret decks all the way forward. Second cruise we had a balcony but were stuck in the muster drill at sail away. There was a delay of some sort, so everything was "off". Conquest out of San Juan I was sound asleep. Hubby was kind enough to wake me So I could step out. I don't really think there is a best location. So much depends on what there might be to see and which way the ship is positioned. We have cruised out of Galveston so often that I usually don't even watch but rather use that time to finish unpacking.

You want to be on starboard side when leaving Port Canaveral and you want

to wave at the people on the open decks of the restaurants. There is a camera

recording all the ships that arrive and depart. When you return home you can

buy the video of you leaving port. Just go to Port Canaveral Web Cam and look

at the bottom of the page for Sail Away Videos. When we sailed on the Dream out of Port Canaveral we were on Deck 10 mid ship Starboard. I had a

4' x 6' sign made with all of our names on it. If you go to the bottom of the

Port Canaveral site to Sail Away Videos and put in Carnival Dream then put in

October 12, 2013 and you can see us leaving the port and waving. That could be your family on the video. I can not mention the restaurant that videos or

they might delete my post. I think I paid 14.95 for the video.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

If I have an aft wrap, I will always be there. Otherwise, I just go as high as I can on the ship to see as much as possible.

With the aft wrap, the only thing you can't see is where you are going. What you CAN see is all your worldly problems disappearing on the horizon.

When we sail out of New Orleans on Oct 25th, I plan on being on our cove balcony. I figure, we are paying enough for our private balcony, we might as well enjoy it. Plus, I'm really excited about sailing down the Mississippi and having a mini river cruise before our actual cruise. We may end up missing our 6 pm MDR dinner time, but oh well! We can order room service or eat on the lido later on that night. Nothing is going to stop me from enjoy our balcony that first night for as long as there is daylight!

On the Fascination-up by the whale tail-love going under the Dames Point Bridge. On the Elation up front port side on the lido deck, away from the noise and party on deck, just watching the world slip by. When the Legend sailed from Tampa, Sail away was no big deal, the big deal was about an hour or so later going under the Sunshine bridge.

When I am on the Legend sailing from Seattle, I will be on the promenade deck, right under my cabin watching Seattle get smaller.:)

Hi Seany :)

Oh my, that's tough to answer. Over the past few decades my wife & I have experienced sailaway from so many locations.

I think my favorite location, mainly for the forward panoramic view, I enjoy sailaway from one of the forward ('Observation Decks') the very most.

Some passengers call those decks 'secret decks' with secret doors, lol...

Wherever you sailaway from, have a wonderful voyage!

PicsArt_1439733833766_zpsho0uiyjy.jpg

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan