Maiden Name on Passport

aflyingbuttress

I was only able to find some old threads on this topic so I apologize if this has been asked to death.

My passport has my maiden name and my booking has my married name. I was married 4 years ago so this is not a *new* situation. Can I still travel with my passport and marriage certificate? I also can bring my birth certificate and drivers license if necessary.

Carnival's website suggests having your name the same on both the booking and travel ID, but if it's not a marriage license will do. Does anyone have experience doing this recently?

We're sailing in 9 weeks so I could get it replaced, but I'd rather not spend the money on it if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Call and change the name on your booking...that's the easiest way! If you tell them what happened, then there shouldn't be a charge...and if there is, it's cheaper than a new passport!

Edited by cb at sea

A cruise is quite different then regular international travel. If you plan to travel internationally in the next 6 years, get a new passport. $100 will save you a ton of grief.

At least for the moment I'm not planning to travel internationally in the next 6 years. I mean, who knows. But the last time I traveled internationally was in 2009. We're just on a tight budget this trip so I was hoping not to have to spend the money.

I was only able to find some old threads on this topic so I apologize if this has been asked to death.

My passport has my maiden name and my booking has my married name. I was married 4 years ago so this is not a *new* situation. Can I still travel with my passport and marriage certificate? I also can bring my birth certificate and drivers license if necessary.

Carnival's website suggests having your name the same on both the booking and travel ID, but if it's not a marriage license will do. Does anyone have experience doing this recently?

We're sailing in 9 weeks so I could get it replaced, but I'd rather not spend the money on it if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

My DW went through this. You don't have to get it replaced. Send it in. They will add an addendum with your new name on one of the pages. Next time you get married don't wait so long.

Edited by $hip$hape

Change your reservation to your current name on your passport.

When you return you can send in a copy of your married name along with your passport. (Just make sure you make a photocopy of your passport for your records) They require a marriage certificate.

Then they can put in a page with your new married name into your current passport which I have personally had done. You just either have to make an appt with your passport office (which I recommend) when you return and they will help you with the changes. or mail It in. They won't give you a new passport, but there will be a page in there which shows your married name and date of marriage which will last as long as your current passport before it expires.

Good luck ad have a great time!

P.s. Always make a copy of your passport to keep in case there are future issues.

My DW went through this. You don't have to get it replaced. Send it in. They will add an addendum with your new name on one of the pages. Next time you get married don't wait so long.

Don't I still have to pay a fee for that? What I've seen online regarding passport name changes there is still a hefty fee involved.

Next time I get married...lol. Hope that never happens. I haven't traveled anywhere since I got married so I haven't bothered.

Don't I still have to pay a fee for that? What I've seen online regarding passport name changes there is still a hefty fee involved.

Next time I get married...lol. Hope that never happens. I haven't traveled anywhere since I got married so I haven't bothered.

Actually, now that I think about it, I went to Quebec, CA during my first year of marriage. I must have used my passport, but I really can't remember how that worked.

My suggestion,

Sail using your bc and dl so you will have it easy to reboard in port with your dl and room key. Throw your passport in your bag as a just in case of emergency.

I think I might do something like this and bring it all: passport, marriage license, drivers license, and birth certificate. US gov't customs and border website says it's ok to travel with my passport with maiden name and marriage license, even for air travel into the US. I'll probably be ok.

Change your reservation to your current name on your passport.

When you return you can send in a copy of your married name along with your passport. (Just make sure you make a photocopy of your passport for your records) They require a marriage certificate.

Then they can put in a page with your new married name into your current passport which I have personally had done. You just either have to make an appt with your passport office (which I recommend) when you return and they will help you with the changes. or mail It in. They won't give you a new passport, but there will be a page in there which shows your married name and date of marriage which will last as long as your current passport before it expires.

Good luck ad have a great time!

P.s. Always make a copy of your passport to keep in case there are future issues.

Thanks! I will look into this too. I wonder if I go to a passport office if I can have it done there and not send it in.

My wife and I have been married for 15 years. She never changed her last name on anything (and does not ever intend to), and we have traveled all over the world that way. We do, however, carry a certified copy of our marriage license in case one of us is injured and the hospital people get pissy about our muutal right to make decisions, etc., thinking we might not be actually married. (Also essential if you ever stay in convent-run hotels in Italy, btw, unless you want to stay in separate rooms.)

Edited by Langoustine

My wife and I have been married for 15 years. She never changed her last name on anything (and does not ever intend to), and we have traveled all over the world that way. We do, however, carry a certified copy of our marriage license in case one of us is injured and the hospital people get pissy about our muutal right to make decisions, etc., thinking we might not be actually married. (Also essential if you ever stay in convent-run hotels in Italy, btw, unless you want to stay in separate rooms.)

Did your wife never legally change her name though? If her last name was never changed at all then it wouldn't be an issue.

i got married 7 years ago and never bothered to change the name on my passport either (too cheap lol). I've been on 5 cruises since then. I bring: my DL (in married name), BC (maiden obviously), passport (maiden) and marriage certificate. I also have my booking name hyphenated. Haven't had an issue yet but we haven't done any international; just closed-loop.

It's not a problem to travel using what is technically no longer my legal name?

It could be. Your passport as it currently is, useless unless you are traveling under your maiden name so flyinghome from outside the US will not work.

You may certainly travel with your birth certificate, marriage license and driver's license under your married name. Just won't help if you need to fly back from a lport.

Don't I still have to pay a fee for that? What I've seen online regarding passport name changes there is still a hefty fee involved. ...

It looks like you'll have to pay $165 to change the name on your passport (if you choose to do that before your next renewal.)

Name change:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

Fees:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/fees.html

Edited by D4

Do whatever you want. I don't know why you bothered to ask the question here in the first place. You've already decided what your answer is. :)

My question wasn't "should I do this?" It was "can I reallydo this?" and "have you done this and how did it go for you?" That's why I asked here. How is one to know if other people were successful with something unless they ask?

I was also specifically interested in people's experience with Carnival letting them on the ship using a passport in their maiden name and marriage license, which I can't know unless I ask, despite what Carnival's website says.

Edited by aflyingbuttress

It could be. Your passport as it currently is, useless unless you are traveling under your maiden name so flyinghome from outside the US will not work.

You may certainly travel with your birth certificate, marriage license and driver's license under your married name. Just won't help if you need to fly back from a lport.

I didn't find this until after I posted the question but U.S. Customs and Border Control says:

"US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents