Another Wine Question

karlamarie

Princess says one bottle of wine per adult per voyage on my luggage tag. Does that mean I can wait and purchase wine at a port of call, and bring it on at no charge?

No, those additional bottles from ports are subject to corkage just like additional bottles beyond 1) 750 ml bottle per adult passenger per cruise at embarkation.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Attached is the spreadsheet I made from the wine list provided on page 1 of this thread. It's an Excel file (old format .xls to conform to CC standard) and it has a couple of neat features. I added a calculation to show the true Princess cost with the 15% gratuity added.

I also researched every darn bottle to find an approximate US retail price. Where possible, I used Total Wine of Fort Lauderdale as my source for anything they carry. That is shown for comparison to the on-board price.

I added a $15 Princess corkage fee to every retail price and then showed the savings per bottle in the last column. Of course, a couple sailing can get two bottles on board with no corkage fee, but I assumed all bottles would end up in the DR for price comparison purposes.

I can say this much. Since I only need 3-4 bottles for a one week cruise and easy to manage getting on board, I am encouraged to shop ashore prior to boarding and either save money or get much better wine for the prices Princess is charging.

PS - I just thought about tax. FL rate should be 6.33%. And it's only right to add tax on to the wine you purchase for taking onboard. I should probably update this sheet to allow a certain sales tax rate to be applied.

See next post and use that attachment instead.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Spring.xls

Edited by steelers36
Wine tax

PS - I just thought about tax. FL rate should be 6.33%. And it's only right to add tax on to the wine you purchase for taking onboard. I should probably update this sheet to allow a certain sales tax rate to be applied.

Okay, so another new feature added. In cell M1, enter your own sales tax rate and that will be factored in the total retail price, plus the corkage fee.

Enjoy!! And happy shopping and tasting, whichever path you choose.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Spring.xls

Okay, so another new feature added. In cell M1, enter your own sales tax rate and that will be factored in the total retail price, plus the corkage fee.

Wow...that had to take a lot of your time to create & thanks for sharing it with us. :) 🍷

Princess says one bottle of wine per adult per voyage on my luggage tag. Does that mean I can wait and purchase wine at a port of call, and bring it on at no charge?

That is written on a luggage tag used on embarkation day, not used at a port of call.

Wow that spread sheet was helpful! Thank you. :)

You are all welcome. My pleasure to share.

I wanted to know more myself as I felt the quality offered had dropped off from perusing the list and it's not going to be quite as convenient as it usually is for me to get to Total Wine in FLL for a pre-cruise supply trip. I don't need much, but I like decent quality and I can see it's worth it to go get 3-4 bottles for the week.

What I like is that I can buy better value wine and spend the same amount as it would cost me on board. I've never done this extensive an analysis and it helps me see exactly where I stand with what I would have to buy on board if go empty-handed.

I can buy other labels and end up well ahead on value proposition while moving up the quality bar. I'm disappointed Princess is buying so much of a particular price range, but I guess they are looking for a sweet-spot price point on board.

After a quick check I found this:

My TSA

HomeHome

Search Results For: corkscrew (with no blade)

Check or Carry-on

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

To help officers get a clear look at your bag and reduce the need for additional screening, we suggest you pack your bag in neat layers (layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) and wrap cords tightly around electronics items.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Hey steelers36, I run a Shutterfly site for our CC RC. I have copied you link and placed it on the Shutterfly (with credit to you) and think it will provide our cruisers with valuable information. If you have an issue let me know and I will delete it. Just Mike

https://oct2015crownprincesshawaiitahiti.shutterfly.com/cruisetidbits

If going on a b2b, can you bring on two bottles per passenger with no additional corkage fee?

Thanks

If going on a b2b, can you bring on two bottles per passenger with no additional corkage fee?

Thanks

I've never read an official statement about how wine for b2b cruises should be handled & it appears to be a procedure that could vary by crewmember.

Here's my post of our experience in Buenos Aires.

Some things are a gray area such as how many bottles of wine we can bring during embarkation when sailing b2b cruises. We were on the b2b & each of us brought 2 of our favorite bottles of wine from home when boarding in Buenos Aires. The crewmember checking bottles at first was not going to allow our 2nd bottles despite having both of our boarding passes to show that we were sailing the b2b. Eventually we were allowed to keep our 2nd bottles by promising to not bring additional bottles onboard during the Valparaiso in-transit day. We didn't bring on additional bottles but as you posted it would not have been an issue there. We had the 12 bottle wine package to enjoy with dinner so with the 4 bottles we carried on we had enough wine to drink. :)

Also with another b2b from LA there was no bottle checking being done when we arrived early to board our short 4-day b2b cruises. We could have put 2 bottles in our car if they had said they were not allowed until the 2nd cruise to drink them without corkage in our cabin. Although since we usually take our wine to a dining room whether corkage is paid during embarkation or in the dining room it's the same thing.

I know this isn't a definitive answer however I have not seen a written procedure for b2b cruises & thus the procedure could vary. ;)

Hey steelers36, I run a Shutterfly site for our CC RC. I have copied you link and placed it on the Shutterfly (with credit to you) and think it will provide our cruisers with valuable information. If you have an issue let me know and I will delete it. Just Mike

https://oct2015crownprincesshawaiitahiti.shutterfly.com/cruisetidbits

Go for it!! Hey, NP here. It's not copyright and I'm all for sharing.

If I get an updated list, I will make a revised sheet.

Sailing Regal Nov 8, so I will try and get a copy of list or at least take a pic in case of any changes.

I've never read an official statement about how wine for b2b cruises should be handled & it appears to be a procedure that could vary by crewmember.

The official statement is what is printed on the luggage tag which says one bottle per adult per voyage without charge at embarkation time.

Just print an extra luggage tag to show if needed.

luggage%20tag%20info_zpss8v74gh4.jpg

The official statement is what is printed on the luggage tag which says one bottle per adult per voyage without charge at embarkation time.

Just print an extra luggage tag to show if needed.

luggage%20tag%20info_zpss8v74gh4.jpg

If you read my previous post, I brought an extra boarding with this statement so there is no official statement about b2b cruises which was the question.

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded".

As you can read there's no statement about a b2b & as I posted without a written policy for b2b then it's a gray area. Thus as I posted it's subject to how the bottle checker decides whether a 2nd boarding (or luggage tag) is acceptable to the to bring the allowed wine for both cruises.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Princess also has a couple of wine packages available. Ask you waiter the first night for details

Just an FYI for the OP -- I believe the wine packages are only available on cruises that are at least 10 days. Not sure about the Ruby's itinerary.

[

As you can read there's no statement about a b2b & as I posted without a written policy for b2b then it's a gray area. Thus as I posted it's subject to how the bottle checker decides whether a 2nd boarding (or luggage tag) is acceptable to the to bring the allowed wine for both cruises.

Guess we will only bring on one per person and on turn around day, take a wine run to Totally Wine..any direction to how to get there? Heard it was in walking distance. Thanks again..Chris

Guess we will only bring on one per person and on turn around day, take a wine run to Totally Wine..any direction to how to get there? Heard it was in walking distance. Thanks again..Chris

Total Wine is about a mile from pier 2 where Princess ships often docks.

Google Maps shows a 1/2 mile walk through the oil tanks however I know from experience that is impossible to do. ;) My guess-timate is a mile walk & also in the same shopping center is Publix. I don't know the day of the week you will be there but seem to recall that stores selling alcohol do not open up until noon on Sunday.

We've easily walked to Total Wine from pier 2 during a turnaround day & hopefully it also works for you. If you want a shorter walk there is a Walgreens at Eisenhower & 17th which is about half the distance as to Total Wine.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you read my previous post, I brought an extra boarding with this statement so there is no official statement about b2b cruises which was the question.

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded".

So, a B2b is two voyages. Seems like it is not a gray area. Two voyages = two bottles.

Total Wine is about a mile from pier 2 where Princess ships often docks.

Google Maps shows a 1/2 mile walk through the oil tanks however I know from experience that is impossible to do. ;) My guess-timate is a mile walk & also in the same shopping center is Publix. I don't know the day of the week you will be there but seem to recall that stores selling alcohol do not open up until noon on Sunday.

We've easily walked to Total Wine from pier 2 during a turnaround day & hopefully it also works for you. If you want a shorter walk there is a Walgreens at Eisenhower & 17th which is about half the distance as to Total Wine.

Thank you Astro Flyer..turn around day is Monday..Martin Luther King Day ? Just called Princess to order a new catalog/atlas and asked about the wine.."of course you can", said Stacey.."just show you have b2b tickets"..should have taken Stacey's extension number for help!!!

Think I will call up Total Wine and see if they close on MLK Day.

Chris

Edited by BRANDEE

So, a B2b is two voyages. Seems like it is not a gray area. Two voyages = two bottles.

Once again...the question was whether both bottles are allowed during the initial embarkation which is a gray area because there is no written policy. :rolleyes:

It was not asking question about how many bottles are allowed on each cruise which is clearly stated in several places. :rolleyes: