WTG NCL for adding up charge items to Cagney's, a win for everyone

I agree, but I have yet to see verification that anything has changed as far as the packages and up charge items are concerned. It seems like someone with UDP posted about upcharge items being on the menu and someone else jumped to the conclusion that they were charged. But not yet sure that's true. Hopefully just a misunderstanding.

I started a thread earlier in the week asking if anyone had already experienced this after reading about extra fees with the UDP on another thread. As sometimes happens that thread spiraled out of control and was removed but before that happened there were three different reports of these up-charges happening recently. The ships mentioned were the Pride of America and one of the "away" ships.

Not the UDP but also interesting to note that someone on the Pearl who dined at Cagney's who had paid the $30 cover was told that they could only order one side per person with their entree. So they were unable to order a potato and a vegetable with their main course, just one choice. They did not inquire whether they could pay for an additional side.

Now apparently we have another report from someone on board currently, which makes me fairly confident that it is not a misunderstanding that is happening but a definite change in the way things will be handled in the future in terms of specialty dining..

Rochelle

I started a thread earlier in the week asking if anyone had already experienced this after reading about extra fees with the UDP on another thread. As sometimes happens that thread spiraled out of control and was removed but before that happened there were three different reports of these up-charges happening recently. The ships mentioned were the Pride of America and one of the "away" ships.

Not the UDP but also interesting to note that someone on the Pearl who dined at Cagney's who had paid the $30 cover was told that they could only order one side per person with their entree. So they were unable to order a potato and a vegetable with their main course, just one choice. They did not inquire whether they could pay for an additional side.

Now apparently we have another report from someone on board currently, which makes me fairly confident that it is not a misunderstanding that is happening but a definite change in the way things will be handled in the future in terms of specialty dining..

Rochelle

Yes, I saw your previous thread which "disappeared". Even then it was not clear to me what was actually taking place. There is a big difference between being charged extra for an upcharge item when you are paying with "cover charge" or on an a la carte basis vs with a UDP or SDP package. When people post about these things they really need to have or get the entire story. Just saying someone was charged an upcharge at Cagneys means nothing.

'This' thread apparently stems from post that Bermuda Bound made on her Live from the Breakaway (?) thread. She had the UDP and mentioned the upcharge items, but it was not clear from her comments ( at least to me ) whether or not she was charged. I asked her to clarify, but the last time I checked she had not responded. It's not even clear to me whether or not these "upcharge" items are even new, or just that people with UDP "new" to dining in Specialties are seeing them and commenting on them.

The "Pearl" story about 1 side only is just crazy. But again, I would need much more info. Sounds more like a new, confused, over zealous employee. But you are right, it is easy to see the "trend" with a la carte priciing. I'm sure they will test the boundaries on what people are willing to pay. For myself, if I can get all items with no restrictions with SDP as per the current T&Cs, then I will probably go that route. If they put too many restrictions on the packages, then I'll pass. I might be willing to pay a la carte, if I can get what I normally order for about the same price as the previous cover. If not, then we will be eating a lot more meals in the Buffet and MDR and NCl will have to figure out another way into my wallet as they will no longer be getting my Specialty money.

Rochelle

I do hope we all get some confirmations from recent cruisers what is happening. Of course, I would rather that NCL actually tell us (simply and without their "website double speak" which always contradicts themselves) first hand...BUT I will not hold my breath. :rolleyes:

I do hope we all get some confirmations from recent cruisers what is happening. Of course, I would rather that NCL actually tell us (simply and without their "website double speak" which always contradicts themselves) first hand...BUT I will not hold my breath. :rolleyes:

BermudaBound resposnded to my question on her Live from the Getaway thread. She did have the UDP but they did NOT order the upcharge items. Her husband ordered the other lobster menu item and she said it appeared to be a "Maine" lobster tail and not a Caribbean lobster, which is nice.

She is eating at Le Bistro tonight and will order the "upcharge" Lobster and will report back as to whether or not they are charged extra.

I just got off the Breakaway, and it seems like even the staff has no idea what the policies are.

My wife and I had UDP which we paid for months ago. My parents were supposed to have UDP, but due to some confusion with their credit card billing, they had to order the SDP onboard.

Last year, we had the UDP and ate in LeBistro twice, ordered the steak for two twice and never had to pay a premium. Based on this experience, we weren't expecting any upcharges when we saw these items at Cagney's. Last year we did not have to pay for sodas that we ordered because we had UDP.

On the first night of the cruise last week, we ate at Cagney's. Was told we would have to pay the surcharges for the "premium selections" even if we had UDP. They also told us we would have to pay for soda now. Wound up not ordering a premium selection, but did order a diet coke. They didn't charge us for the soda. The hostesses told us that only people with the SDP did not have to pay extra for premium selections.

The next morning I went to guest services to see if I could "upgrade" to the SDP so as to not have to pay extra for premium selections. Was told this was not possible and there was nothing they could do, we would just have to pay extra for the premium items.

At LeBistro, they did not charge us extra for the premium selections (steak for two). They did not charge us for soda.

At Moderno, they charged us for soda.

At subsequent visits to Cagney's, we were not charged anything for ordering premium selections. We were never charged for soda.

The staff basically kept saying that these changes were very new..."the menus just changed last week"...and so forth. There seemed to be a lot of confusion and I would blame that on poor communication from corporate to the vessel staff. Honestly, I felt pretty bad for the staff, as answers to questions varied from waiter to waiter and restaurant to restaurant.

On another note, the overall service in the specialty restaurants seemed worse than last year. I don't really remember if this was the case last year, but this year the hostesses were clearing and setting tables in the restaurants which would leave the hostess stations at LeBistro and Cagney's unattended for long periods of time. I'd say one so-so experience at Cagney's, one bad (the waitress seemed to have too many tables - we waited almost 30 minutes from being seated to our order being taken; my drink didn't come until after I finished my appetizer) and one excellent. Le Bistro was one ok and one good. Interestingly enough, by far and wide the best service was on the last night of the cruise. Maybe they pull out all the stops to give people a good final impression on the last night of the cruise?

My dad also asked one of the cruise consultant guys why they cut the port time short in Bermuda and the guy plainly answered that it was done to save on fuel costs...that leaving two hours earlier the boat can return at 19 knots instead of 22. He also claimed the boat shook too much traveling at 22 knots. He also said new CEO trying to prove he can return value to shareholders. Honestly, his answers seemed to be straight up what everyone has been saying on CC over the last few weeks.

Sure, I think it is good value. But the T&C's need to be changed, otherwise it is a bit misleading and I can see why people would be upset.

Quite a lot in South Florida where you can have a 3 course lobster dinner for that price. And you are forgetting about the MDR food and service you have paid for. There's still a cost associated there. That is why upcharge dining on cruises isn't as expensive as comparable dining on land usually; the fare charged for MDR subsidizes specialty dining to an extent. On NCL the guest pays for the MDR meal and MDR service regardless.

Agreed. I'm kinda getting a kick of the people who think $10 for a whole 1 pound lobster is a good deal ... especially if it's a Caribbean lobster and not a Maine Lobster :rolleyes: Not to mention a 1 and 1/4 pd lobster is nothing. You aren't getting any meat worth much outta something that small. If it's a Caribbean lobster, you couldn't sell it to me for a buck LOL

Yes, I saw your previous thread which "disappeared". Even then it was not clear to me what was actually taking place. There is a big difference between being charged extra for an upcharge item when you are paying with "cover charge" or on an a la carte basis vs with a UDP or SDP package. When people post about these things they really need to have or get the entire story. Just saying someone was charged an upcharge at Cagneys means nothing.

'This' thread apparently stems from post that Bermuda Bound made on her Live from the Breakaway (?) thread. She had the UDP and mentioned the upcharge items, but it was not clear from her comments ( at least to me ) whether or not she was charged. I asked her to clarify, but the last time I checked she had not responded. It's not even clear to me whether or not these "upcharge" items are even new, or just that people with UDP "new" to dining in Specialties are seeing them and commenting on them.

The "Pearl" story about 1 side only is just crazy. But again, I would need much more info. Sounds more like a new, confused, over zealous employee. But you are right, it is easy to see the "trend" with a la carte priciing. I'm sure they will test the boundaries on what people are willing to pay. For myself, if I can get all items with no restrictions with SDP as per the current T&Cs, then I will probably go that route. If they put too many restrictions on the packages, then I'll pass. I might be willing to pay a la carte, if I can get what I normally order for about the same price as the previous cover. If not, then we will be eating a lot more meals in the Buffet and MDR and NCl will have to figure out another way into my wallet as they will no longer be getting my Specialty money.

Like anything new we will have to wait and see how others report their experiences. Chances are good though that we will find out the information here on CC first.

I am curious to see how à la carte works with the Platinum and CAS comped dinners. We will likely have to wait till the Escape sails and the first true à la carte happens to see how things pan out for those dining under those scenarios. Even then it might not be until the new year as it expands throughout the fleet.

Rochelle

i just got off the breakaway, and it seems like even the staff has no idea what the policies are.

My wife and i had udp which we paid for months ago. My parents were supposed to have udp, but due to some confusion with their credit card billing, they had to order the sdp onboard.

Last year, we had the udp and ate in lebistro twice, ordered the steak for two twice and never had to pay a premium. Based on this experience, we weren't expecting any upcharges when we saw these items at cagney's. Last year we did not have to pay for sodas that we ordered because we had udp.

On the first night of the cruise last week, we ate at cagney's. Was told we would have to pay the surcharges for the "premium selections" even if we had udp. They also told us we would have to pay for soda now. Wound up not ordering a premium selection, but did order a diet coke. They didn't charge us for the soda. The hostesses told us that only people with the sdp did not have to pay extra for premium selections.

The next morning i went to guest services to see if i could "upgrade" to the sdp so as to not have to pay extra for premium selections. Was told this was not possible and there was nothing they could do, we would just have to pay extra for the premium items.

At lebistro, they did not charge us extra for the premium selections (steak for two). They did not charge us for soda.

At moderno, they charged us for soda.

At subsequent visits to cagney's, we were not charged anything for ordering premium selections. We were never charged for soda.

The staff basically kept saying that these changes were very new..."the menus just changed last week"...and so forth. There seemed to be a lot of confusion and i would blame that on poor communication from corporate to the vessel staff. Honestly, i felt pretty bad for the staff, as answers to questions varied from waiter to waiter and restaurant to restaurant.

On another note, the overall service in the specialty restaurants seemed worse than last year. I don't really remember if this was the case last year, but this year the hostesses were clearing and setting tables in the restaurants which would leave the hostess stations at lebistro and cagney's unattended for long periods of time. I'd say one so-so experience at cagney's, one bad (the waitress seemed to have too many tables - we waited almost 30 minutes from being seated to our order being taken; my drink didn't come until after i finished my appetizer) and one excellent. Le bistro was one ok and one good. Interestingly enough, by far and wide the best service was on the last night of the cruise. Maybe they pull out all the stops to give people a good final impression on the last night of the cruise?

My dad also asked one of the cruise consultant guys why they cut the port time short in bermuda and the guy plainly answered that it was done to save on fuel costs...that leaving two hours earlier the boat can return at 19 knots instead of 22. He also claimed the boat shook too much traveling at 22 knots. He also said new ceo trying to prove he can return value to shareholders. Honestly, his answers seemed to be straight up what everyone has been saying on cc over the last few weeks.

epic and not the ship!

While you armchair lawyers quarrel about terms and conditions verbiage, I want to take a step back and let it down on you what am impossibly huge chunk of meat a 32oz would be. Even with "ravenous" appetite right after a tough workout, I have difficulty scarfing down a whole 10oz steak at my local bbq joint, now imagine going at it with a 32oz piece of cow.

I just got off the Breakaway, and it seems like even the staff has no idea what the policies are.

My wife and I had UDP which we paid for months ago. My parents were supposed to have UDP, but due to some confusion with their credit card billing, they had to order the SDP onboard.

At subsequent visits to Cagney's, we were not charged anything for ordering premium selections. We were never charged for soda.

1) so the premium items at cagneys were free for BOTH udp and sdp?

2) how was the 32oz ribeye at cagneys compared to le bistro?

3) how big was the lobster tail on the whole lobster compared to the lobster tail + shrimp pasta dish at Cagneys?

While you armchair lawyers quarrel about terms and conditions verbiage, I want to take a step back and let it down on you what am impossibly huge chunk of meat a 32oz would be. Even with "ravenous" appetite right after a tough workout, I have difficulty scarfing down a whole 10oz steak at my local bbq joint, now imagine going at it with a 32oz piece of cow.

each person is different.

I weigh 150lbs.

during my solo cruise last month, I ate the 32oz ribeye at le bistro 3 out of the 7 days. finished it easy. :eek:

I also had an appetizer and dessert.

i work out about an hr each morning at the ships gym.

lFWEt-4YVEgV1TMyysCyGTv8M_rZFwoycvz3l7yREuo=w1232-h819-no

noJGy-XS6F1tCWg9M1elhnYR47Ml9xbLa2PacPz2t3M=w1232-h819-no

Last year we did not have to pay for sodas that we ordered because we had UDP.

I try to stay up to date with information, but I never knew that with the UDP you weren't charged for soda. DH thought he got lucky last week that none of the specialty's charged him for his nightly glass of soda. Interesting!!

I try to stay up to date with information, but I never knew that with the UDP you weren't charged for soda. DH thought he got lucky last week that none of the specialty's charged him for his nightly glass of soda. Interesting!!

I've never heard soda was included in the UDP, either here or onboard but then I have never ordered a soda in the specialty's with the UDP.

I've never heard soda was included in the UDP, either here or onboard but then I have never ordered a soda in the specialty's with the UDP.

well, the poster said he was charged for soda at Modesto.

maybe soda is covered under cagney's + le bistro's base cover charge but not at modesto?

makes me curious to see how soda is listed on the bill at each of these 3 restaurants

Edited by fstuff1

maybe soda is covered under cagney's + le bistro's base cover charge but not at modesto?

makes me curious to see how soda is listed on the bill at each of these 3 restaurants

Maybe these people who were not charged for soda also had the UBP which does, I think, cover sodas? If not, then very likely as outlined by a previous posters very inconsistent experience with upcharge items on the UBP/SDP, the ship's staff do not know WTH they are doing when it comes to interpreting what is and is not charged for.

We ate at Cagney's (3x), La Cucina (2x), Teppanyaki (1x) and there was no mention of the soda on any of the bills. Just the cover charge, and then offset by the UDP for a total bill of zero.

We ate at Cagney's (3x), La Cucina (2x), Teppanyaki (1x) and there was no mention of the soda on any of the bills. Just the cover charge, and then offset by the UDP for a total bill of zero.

Did you have the UBP or soda packages as well? Hard to believe NCL has suddenly decided to give free soda to everyone. No need for families to buy those soda cards they sell.;). I would really be ticked if I bought one for my kids and then found out everyone else was getting soda for free. I don't recall any mention of beverage inclusion in the UBP/SDP packages.

Yeah, the 32 oz at Cagney's is a porterhouse. Even living in NYC and being spoiled with tons of excellent steakhouses, I will say it was very very good.

Regarding the soda charges - last year we weren't charged for soda at Moderno, but this year yes...it was the only place though that charged us. I didn't make a big deal of it because it's just a few bucks for a soda, and like I said earlier it's not really the fault of the staff. NCL just really needs to figure out how to get the staff up to speed with the changes and give enough time to adapt before just rolling things out on the ships. My take (which is just an opinion based on my observations) is that corporate is just coming up with stuff on the fly and not giving the ships and staff any time at all to adjust or integrate the changes into their training and procedures.

For the places that didn't charge us, they didn't give us a bar receipt at all, only the bill for the food offset by the UDP credits for a total charge of $0.

Edited by richg35

Did you have the UBP or soda packages as well? Hard to believe NCL has suddenly decided to give free soda to everyone. No need for families to buy those soda cards they sell.;). I would really be ticked if I bought one for my kids and then found out everyone else was getting soda for free. I don't recall any mention of beverage inclusion in the UBP/SDP packages.

No UBP. We were in a balcony cabin so only got 1 promotion and we choose UDP as neither of us generally drink enough to make the UBP worth it.

We thought the first time at Cagney's perhaps the waitress was just extra busy since it was the first night and forgot DH got a soda. All week he got 1 soda with dinner at the specialty's and never got charged.

BermudaBound reported on her Le Bistro dinner on the Getaway with UDP last night. Sounds like no new upcharge menu items, just the old ones. No whole lobster or tail like at Cagneys, just the Fruits Del Mer with lobster, scallops, shrimp in pastry, a 32 oz Steak for Two plus one other item she can't recall.

She had the Del Mer with no upcharge. She thought the portions were smaller than last year, with only a couple shrimp and scallops in the dish.

Sounds like there is some current inconsistent handling of upcharges with the packages. I think if I were cruising soon, I'd print out the Terms and Conditions and bring them with me.