WTG NCL for adding up charge items to Cagney's, a win for everyone

It's been reported by BermudaBound2014 who is currently on the GA that they have whole main lobster and a 32oz steak for an additional $10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47450951

It appears that it is not covered by the UDP or SDP but it's another option for everyone to enjoy if you choose. That's great news for everyone. So for all you nickel and dimers out there, it comes to 118 dimes or 236 nickels if you so choose.

Thank you NCL!

That's a nice improvement in the specialty restaurant - Maybe I'll dine in Cagney on the upcoming trip just to see if the whole lobster is similar to what I get from restaurants near me. And if it comes out about $30-50, that's definitely not a bad price for it.

Edited by maywell

It's been reported by BermudaBound2014 who is currently on the GA that they have whole main lobster and a 32oz steak for an additional $10.

It appears that it is not covered by the UDP or SDP but it's another option for everyone to enjoy if you choose. That's great news for everyone. So for all you nickel and dimers out there, it comes to 118 dimes or 236 nickels if you so choose.

Thank you NCL!

From the NCL website on the SDP:

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

From the NCL website on the SDP:

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

You do know that Le Bistro charges $10 for lobster tail on top of the cover charge, even if its included in the UDP/SDP, right?

Thank you NCL![/quote

Perhaps someone can clarify. Lobster was always available at Cagneys and Le Bistro for up charge so this is nothing new. And I thought the 32 oz steak was included with the cover charge. With the dinner packages, I believe the terms and conditions state that ALL items on the menu are covered, including up charge items. The only thing that would incur an extra fee would be the ordering of a second entree.

So, are you now saying that even with the SDP, you will now pay the upcharge for lobster rather than have it included as it was before? If so, then I am having a hard time figuring out what I am supposed to be so excited about.

You do know that Le Bistro charges $10 for lobster tail on top of the cover charge, even if its included in the UDP/SDP, right?

The $10 upcharge for the lobster in Le Bistro and Cagneys was included in the UDP/SDP.

Thank you NCL![/quote

Perhaps someone can clarify. Lobster was always available at Cagneys and Le Bistro for up charge so this is nothing new. And I thought the 32 oz steak was included with the cover charge. With the dinner packages, I believe the terms and conditions state that ALL items on the menu are covered, including up charge items. The only thing that would incur an extra fee would be the ordering of a second entree.

So, are you now saying that even with the SDP, you will now pay the upcharge for lobster rather than have it included as it was before? If so, then I am having a hard time figuring out what I am supposed to be so excited about.

There was never a 32oz steak at Cagney, a 5/8oz was always there but never 32oz. The Lobster that was there originally, was in the pasta at Cagney or tail in Le Bistro; never a whole lobster with the head and claws still attached. Paying $10 more on top of the cover for those 2 items is extremely good deal considering whole lobster by the pound is about $25-35 in a NYC restaurant.

Yes. If I just walked into Cagneys, no dinner oackage, paid my cover charge, and then ordered lobster I would pay the upcharge for lobster. This is how it has always been. The UDP and SDP packages always specifically included up charge items for NO additional fee.

What I am trying to figure out is whether there has been any change at all. If you have the SDP or UDP package and order lobster, are you NOW being charged extra?

The $10 upcharge for the lobster in Le Bistro and Cagneys was included in the UDP/SDP.

No it wasn't, it even said it on the LeBistro menu that it was $10 extra.

2015:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/bistro.pdf

2014 and earlier:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/18374_BISTRO%20Breakaway%20web.pdf

Edited by maywell

Yes. If I just walked into Cagneys, no dinner oackage, paid my cover charge, and then ordered lobster I would pay the upcharge for lobster. This is how it has always been. The UDP and SDP packages always specifically included up charge items for NO additional fee.

What I am trying to figure out is whether there has been any change at all. If you have the SDP or UDP package and order lobster, are you NOW being charged extra?

In December on the Pearl there were zero up charge items offered at Cagney's, only at the specialty Asian (which is history) and Le Bistro which are still free with the UDP.

No it wasn't, it even said it on the LeBistro menu that it was $10 extra.

2015:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/bistro.pdf

2014 and earlier:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/18374_BISTRO%20Breakaway%20web.pdf

it was $10 extra when paying the cover charge. It was included if you had the UDP.

Edited by electro

NCL is not the first line to add "super premium" items to upcharge menus; though I will say that the additional charge seems very modest to me. A 32oz steak is ENORMOUS. So is a whole lobster, I am going to assume they are using +/- 1.5lb lobsters.

I happen to agree with the OP that this one is a win / win. Royal Caribbean hardly will serve you a steak anymore in Chops without paying significantly more on top of the cover charge. I don't have an issue with a modest fee for a super premium item like this comes across, but on RCI it just rubs the wrong way altogether.

We had the UDP as follows;

March 8th to 15th on the Epic

May 23rd to 30th on the Getaway

July 25th to Aug. 1st on the Getaway

Dined at Bistro all three cruises. Had lobster all three cruises. No hint of the $10 upcharge all three cruises.

OK, I give up. I'll look for info elsewhere on the current status of extra fee or no extra fee for lobster for those with a UDP or SDP package.:)

With the upcoming changes to a-la-carte pricing; NCL corporate fiddling with the details of the packages and NCL scribbling ideas on the backs of envelopes, who knows what the real answer is? NCL corporate don't seem to (or are not communicating it if they do).:rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508

You're already paid for the UDP/ SDP either from the promo aka fare or paid extra out of pocket for it - so what the heck are you complaining about now....:rolleyes: Also, no one told you have to eat those 2 dishes, there's still plenty that's free with UDP/SDP anyway....God, the sour apples around here; it like NCL physically urinated in their coffee or something.

Well, if they are old items that were included but now aren't (That is what RCI basically did), I think it is a party foul and have to agree with the person you are quoting. It doesn't matter if other items are still included if some were moved to the additional upcharge section. Royal did this and I haven't returned to Chops since because of it.

If they are new items that were not available before, and all other current menu items are still available and covered then I think the charge is fair as long as the terms and conditions are amended to reflect this. If the terms and conditions are left as is, I could certainly see why people would be confused or thinking they shouldn't have to pay for the ultra-premium items.

That's the difference from where I sit.

Well, if they are old items that were included but now aren't (That is what RCI basically did), I think it is a party foul and have to agree with the person you are quoting. It doesn't matter if other items are still included if some were moved to the additional upcharge section. Royal did this and I haven't returned to Chops since because of it.

If they are new items that were not available before, and all other current menu items are still available and covered then I think the charge is fair as long as the terms and conditions are amended to reflect this. If the terms and conditions are left as is, I could certainly see why people would be confused or thinking they shouldn't have to pay for the ultra-premium items.

That's the difference from where I sit.

It 2 brand spanking new items that was never part of the original menus - $10 for each on top of the cover charge seems way more fair than it should be, matter of fact, that's super cheap. Lobster tails / pasta and 5/8 oz steak are not the same thing as WHOLE lobster and 32oz steak, despite what some people here want to claim.

So if it more on top of UDP / SDP, then either pay it or just order what still within bounds of the UDP/ SDP - Honestly, $10 more for whole lobster, even if its 1 pound, at Cagney is great deal; contrary to what some people thinking that too expensive. With unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts included - Would love to know the name of restaurant that gives all of that for just $40 a person for a whole lobster.

I'm up for correction if I don't have the facts right, but isn't a 32 ounce steak and a WHOLE lobster new additions?

I do agree that the current T&C's would make it seem like these items should NOT be charged for. But that is separate from the fact that they are NEW items, not just old items being re-priced?

I'm not sure. Looking for clarity here.

If the terms and conditions say upcharge items are included, and if they have not been updated, those items should be included whether they are old or new, shouldn't they ??

Honestly, $10 more for whole lobster, even if its 1 pound, at Cagney is great deal.

Sure, I think it is good value. But the T&C's need to be changed, otherwise it is a bit misleading and I can see why people would be upset.

Would love to know the name of restaurant that gives all of that for just $40 a person for a whole lobster.

Quite a lot in South Florida where you can have a 3 course lobster dinner for that price. And you are forgetting about the MDR food and service you have paid for. There's still a cost associated there. That is why upcharge dining on cruises isn't as expensive as comparable dining on land usually; the fare charged for MDR subsidizes specialty dining to an extent. On NCL the guest pays for the MDR meal and MDR service regardless.

If the terms and conditions say upcharge items are included, and if they have not been updated, those items should be included whether they are old or new, shouldn't they ??

Yes, they should be. I am in fundamental agreement with you.