WTG NCL for adding up charge items to Cagney's, a win for everyone

I really don't have much of a dog in this fight. Last night we booked the Getaway for next month and have reservations for an Escape B2B in May. We have no other history with NCL. As you can see in my signature, we have been avid Disney Cruise Line fans. We're now looking for some new-to-us things and NCL is where we've landed first.

I just wanted to offer this in case anyone here doesn't know. Even on Disney Cruise Line, the upcharge restaurants Palo & Remy have offerings that are at an additional cost above the cover charge. Things like full cuts of Wagyu beef, etc. It's items that would not be offered at all or would be offered in slivers if they were going to keep to ONLY what the cover charge amount will allow. I will admit, as I sat in the restaurant, saw the offerings, and heard our server explain them I immediately gave the entire concept of up-charging for certain dishes in an up-charge venue the side-eye. How much of my money does Mickey have to freakin' have?! That's when my purse strings went on full-lock-down. Would I love to have those things? Sure. But in the moment I wasn't "buying" it. We still had a fabulous meal without them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so put off by it. It's nice to have the options available to us. That I'm thankful for. Maybe if it was just the husband and me celebrating an anniversary or something I'd have felt different about it.

I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there will still be many fine menu items in Cagneys that are included in the cover charge. The addition of a few plussed entrees that go a beyond the cover charge for a price isn't them taking away the good things they've been serving all along, is it? Did they take something away? Or did they add some high-end options? Coming from DCL where the dining options are somewhat limited, even for-fee options are wonderful to have because they're available. More options is not a bad thing. Ever.

Sure, I think it is good value. But the T&C's need to be changed, otherwise it is a bit misleading and I can see why people would be upset.

Quite a lot in South Florida where you can have a 3 course lobster dinner for that price. And you are forgetting about the MDR food and service you have paid for. There's still a cost associated there. That is why upcharge dining on cruises isn't as expensive as comparable dining on land usually; the fare charged for MDR subsidizes specialty dining to an extent. On NCL the guest pays for the MDR meal and MDR service regardless.

No, the T&C doesn't really need to be change because the pricing for those restaurants are going to be changing depending on the ship in October or Janaury, anyway. What NCL should clarify for the meanwhile since they still cover charges to those particular restaurants -is that extra premium price that on top of the cover charge / UDP / SDP or is it include in UDP/SDP without extra $10 charge. Really, no real need to change any policy because again the prices are going a la carte soon, anyway.

Regarding the MDR, that food is include in the base fare while specialty restaurants are literally nickel & dime ploys to make person spend extra anyway. If you want to spend extra at the specialty restaurant via SDP / own wallet / promos - that's your own choice. Another thing you're forgetting as well - The DSC covers the MDR service / Buffet/ Room Steward /O'Sheenans, while specialty restaurants and drinks not covered in the fare, are tipped out by auto 18% tips / service charge. So who gets the better end of the deal in terms of not spending more? The person / people that just eats at the MDR/Buffet/O'Sheenan's because their base fare and DSC covers everything even extra plates / portions / entrees without spending more money while specialty dining & 18% tips is pretty much coming out extra out of the person's wallet, in some form. I mean- Really, its a no-brainer, the difference in pricing between complimentary and specialty dining....

Quite a lot in South Florida where you can have a 3 course lobster dinner for that price. And you are forgetting about the MDR food and service you have paid for. There's still a cost associated there. That is why upcharge dining on cruises isn't as expensive as comparable dining on land usually; the fare charged for MDR subsidizes specialty dining to an extent. On NCL the guest pays for the MDR meal and MDR service regardless.

Absolutely! DH and I split a 5 pounder for our anniversary at Lobster House for $45. Why would I bother to pay p/p $30 cover charge+$10 upcharge + the MDR meal included in my fare for a most likely frozen 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounder? (Answer - I won't. I don't worry about cost per se, but there is no value there.)

We had the UDP as follows;

March 8th to 15th on the Epic

May 23rd to 30th on the Getaway

July 25th to Aug. 1st on the Getaway

Dined at Bistro all three cruises. Had lobster all three cruises. No hint of the $10 upcharge all three cruises.

Thank you for an informative reply! You had lobster with no additional upcharge on the UDP as late as end of July. So, unless NCL has since then decided to surcharge the dinner packages, and no one with UFP or SDP has verified this, not much seems to have changed. Lobster was always available for upcharge ( without a package ) and still is.

And if NCL wishes to change the T &C's re upcharge items on their SDPs they are free to do so, but not on the packages already purchased or given for free.

About $30-70 at the lowest, at least for the whole lobster...

Probably a bit high, $30 for one lobster sounds about right since all you get for the $30 is the lobster (once they go completely a la carte anyway). Might depend on how big the lobster is.

It was my understanding that some of the specialties did offer surcharge items on their menu.

. . . I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there will still be many fine menu items in Cagneys that are included in the cover charge. The addition of a few plussed entrees that go a beyond the cover charge for a price isn't them taking away the good things they've been serving all along, is it? Did they take something away? Or did they add some high-end options? Coming from DCL where the dining options are somewhat limited, even for-fee options are wonderful to have because they're available. More options is not a bad thing. Ever.
Welcome to NCL, sweetpee_1993. You are correct. Nothing has been taken away, and there are plenty of other excellent items on the Cagney's menu. I completely agree with your statement that more options are never a bad thing. I hope you have a great time on your cruise.

Methinks there are some people posting on this thread who really need to try another cruise line. It just might be an eye opener. :D

Years ago Cagney's was $20 cover and they had King Crab legs and Caribbean lobster tails for an additional $10 each and it was all you can eat.

I do not remember the Lobster tails being "add you can eat", but regardless, it used to be we got a lot of seafood on all lines, and also decent steak even in the main dining room: those days are gone. Not to mention who really cares much about Caribbean Lobster tails?

This "I remember when" stuff is getting a little tiring. Heck I remember when we paid $13,500 for our first home in So CA for heaverns sake!!!!!!

It 2 brand spanking new items that was never part of the original menus - $10 for each on top of the cover charge seems way more fair than it should be, matter of fact, that's super cheap. Lobster tails / pasta and 5/8 oz steak are not the same thing as WHOLE lobster and 32oz steak, despite what some people here want to claim.

So if it more on top of UDP / SDP, then either pay it or just order what still within bounds of the UDP/ SDP - Honestly, $10 more for whole lobster, even if its 1 pound, at Cagney is great deal; contrary to what some people thinking that too expensive. With unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts included - Would love to know the name of restaurant that gives all of that for just $40 a person for a whole lobster.

$10 extra for a 1 pound Maine lobster is absolutely worth it. A 1 pound Rock Lobster no so much:).

I really don't have much of a dog in this fight. Last night we booked the Getaway for next month and have reservations for an Escape B2B in May. We have no other history with NCL. As you can see in my signature, we have been avid Disney Cruise Line fans. We're now looking for some new-to-us things and NCL is where we've landed first.

I just wanted to offer this in case anyone here doesn't know. Even on Disney Cruise Line, the upcharge restaurants Palo & Remy have offerings that are at an additional cost above the cover charge. Things like full cuts of Wagyu beef, etc. It's items that would not be offered at all or would be offered in slivers if they were going to keep to ONLY what the cover charge amount will allow. I will admit, as I sat in the restaurant, saw the offerings, and heard our server explain them I immediately gave the entire concept of up-charging for certain dishes in an up-charge venue the side-eye. How much of my money does Mickey have to freakin' have?! That's when my purse strings went on full-lock-down. Would I love to have those things? Sure. But in the moment I wasn't "buying" it. We still had a fabulous meal without them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so put off by it. It's nice to have the options available to us. That I'm thankful for. Maybe if it was just the husband and me celebrating an anniversary or something I'd have felt different about it.

I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there will still be many fine menu items in Cagneys that are included in the cover charge. The addition of a few plussed entrees that go a beyond the cover charge for a price isn't them taking away the good things they've been serving all along, is it? Did they take something away? Or did they add some high-end options? Coming from DCL where the dining options are somewhat limited, even for-fee options are wonderful to have because they're available. More options is not a bad thing. Ever.

This thread would give you the impression that upcharge items on the menus at specialties are something new at NCL. This is not the case. Lobster has always been available as an up charge to the cover charge in some venues for those with no dining package who just pay the cover instead. Whether or not it is a new, improved, lobster remains to be seen. I have no problem with upcharge items being offered. Three of the specialty restaurants will soon go a la carte, no more cover charges, but you may still buy a dining package and avoid the a la carte pricing. If you dine without a dining package, you will pay by the item, lobster included.

What seems unclear is the suggestion that 'perhaps' they are now starting to up charge those with specialty packages for things like lobster. The terms of the packages are very clear that upcharge items are 'included' at no extra cost. So they can add as many up charge items as they wish. But I expect them all to be included in my package as those were the terms when I made my purchase.

Edited by punkincc

I do not remember the Lobster tails being "add you can eat", but regardless, it used to be we got a lot of seafood on all lines, and also decent steak even in the main dining room: those days are gone. Not to mention who really cares much about Caribbean Lobster tails?

This "I remember when" stuff is getting a little tiring. Heck I remember when we paid $13,500 for our first home in So CA for heaverns sake!!!!!!

I'm not sure they advertised that, all you had to do was ask for more, they served them halved, I had five half tails one night.

Welcome to NCL, sweetpee_1993. You are correct. Nothing has been taken away, and there are plenty of other excellent items on the Cagney's menu. I completely agree with your statement that more options are never a bad thing. I hope you have a great time on your cruise.

Methinks there are some people posting on this thread who really need to try another cruise line. It just might be an eye opener. :D

Which cruise line are you going to try ?????

Nita --- Do a little history search on CC and you can see many posts where people were bragging about eating 10 or 12 lobster tails at one meal. It hasn't been that long ago.

I remember a meal we had on the Star and the waiter kept bringing lobster tails until we told him to stop.

Edited by swedish weave

This thread would give you the impression that upcharge items on the menus at specialties are something new at NCL. This is not the case. Lobster has always been available as an up charge to the cover charge in some venues for those with no dining package who just pay the cover instead. Whether or not it is a new, improved, lobster remains to be seen. I have no problem with upcharge items being offered. Three of the specialty restaurants will soon go a la carte, no more cover charges, but you may still buy a dining package and avoid the a la carte pricing. If you dine without a dining package, you will pay by the item, lobster included.

What seems unclear is the suggestion that 'perhaps' they are now starting to up charge those with specialty packages for things like lobster. The terms of the packages are very clear that upcharge items are 'included' at no extra cost. So they can add as many up charge items as they wish. But I expect them all to be included in my package as those were the terms when I made my purchase.

I agree with you !!! If you pay for a package that says upcharge items are included, the cruise line should honor that.

All the rhetoric and gibberish that is being posted to try to justify NCL's actions is a waste because they need to honor what they sold you.

If Del Rio hadn't fired all the knowledgable people at NCL so he could make jobs for his friends and family, these problems would have been handled properly.

Edited by swedish weave

No, the T&C doesn't really need to be change because the pricing for those restaurants are going to be changing depending on the ship in October or Janaury, anyway. What NCL should clarify for the meanwhile since they still cover charges to those particular restaurants -is that extra premium price that on top of the cover charge / UDP / SDP or is it include in UDP/SDP without extra $10 charge. Really, no real need to change any policy because again the prices are going a la carte soon, anyway.

Regarding the MDR, that food is include in the base fare while specialty restaurants are literally nickel & dime ploys to make person spend extra anyway. If you want to spend extra at the specialty restaurant via SDP / own wallet / promos - that's your own choice. Another thing you're forgetting as well - The DSC covers the MDR service / Buffet/ Room Steward /O'Sheenans, while specialty restaurants and drinks not covered in the fare, are tipped out by auto 18% tips / service charge. So who gets the better end of the deal in terms of not spending more? The person / people that just eats at the MDR/Buffet/O'Sheenan's because their base fare and DSC covers everything even extra plates / portions / entrees without spending more money while specialty dining & 18% tips is pretty much coming out extra out of the person's wallet, in some form. I mean- Really, its a no-brainer, the difference in pricing between complimentary and specialty dining....

If SDP says no upcharge either NCL should not charge for anything once SDP is purchased, or change the T&C's to say that some ultra-premium items will incur a charge. That way there is no misunderstanding (and that is being charitable towards NCL).

A few weeks ago you were telling people to just be smart and buy the SDP and then they would be covered. well, that's not the case anymore. I think if you want to just pay one cover charge and not have SDP, and there are NEW, not previously on the menu items, that have a charge, that's fine. But if you have SDP and it says no items are charged extra, well, then that's what NCL should do. And if they don't intend to do that, change the terms and conditions.

I agree with you !!! If you pay for a package that says upcharge items are included, the cruise line should honor that.

All the rhetoric and gibberish that is being posted to try to justify NCL's actions is a waste because they need to honor what they sold you.

I agree, but I have yet to see verification that anything has changed as far as the packages and up charge items are concerned. It seems like someone with UDP posted about upcharge items being on the menu and someone else jumped to the conclusion that they were charged. But not yet sure that's true. Hopefully just a misunderstanding.

I read the T&Cs of the UDP trying to decipher it. I wasn't feeling very clear with it. That's from a fresh set of eyes with no pre-existing sentiments, experience, or knowledge. If you look in a few different places the verbiage varies some so I find it hard to trust. I can honestly say that the inability to feel confident and clear about what is/is not included factored into our decision to NOT utilize a dining plan. In fact, we only booked Cagneys. That one seemed simple enough. Of course other things factored such as lack of interest in the other upcharge venues, not wanting to overplan, and not wanting to spend the additional $$ without being confident.

Ultimately, I look at this first NCL cruise as our learning experience. I'll prob'ly be in here with y'all duking it out soon enough. LOL!

My 'beef' with Le Bistro was/is when the lobster was actually a full tail, it was absolutely worth the $10 upcharge, even with the UDP. When they changed it to the tablespoon worth of lobster you got chopped up with the cream sauce, no way was it worth the upcharge (and I will add I had this on the Getaway in Jan. not knowing it had changed, and with the UDP there was no add-on fee).

That being said, I am thrilled with the option of having a whole lobster at Cagney's and this would definitely be worth an extra $10 on top of the UDP. Two pounds of steak? Worth it but no way I could eat that much steak. :eek:

Legion3 so now no more upcharge items free with udp thats a new cutback we just learned from cc and NOT from NCL...way to go NCL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has this been confirmed? I have not seen it confirmed anywhere:confused:. Where are you getting this information?

I read the T&Cs of the UDP trying to decipher it. I wasn't feeling very clear with it. That's from a fresh set of eyes with no pre-existing sentiments, experience, or knowledge. If you look in a few different places the verbiage varies some so I find it hard to trust. I can honestly say that the inability to feel confident and clear about what is/is not included factored into our decision to NOT utilize a dining plan. In fact, we only booked Cagneys. That one seemed simple enough. Of course other things factored such as lack of interest in the other upcharge venues, not wanting to overplan, and not wanting to spend the additional $$ without being confident.

Ultimately, I look at this first NCL cruise as our learning experience. I'll prob'ly be in here with y'all duking it out soon enough. LOL!

Having not yet cruised NCL yet, but reading these boards almost daily, I must agree.

A lot of stuff is as clear as mud.

It's like mattress sales. You can't really compare with the store next door because you can't tell what you are buying exactly...