WTG NCL for adding up charge items to Cagney's, a win for everyone

BermudaBound reported on her Le Bistro dinner on the Getaway with UDP last night. Sounds like no new upcharge menu items, just the old ones. No whole lobster or tail like at Cagneys, just the Fruits Del Mer with lobster, scallops, shrimp in pastry, a 32 oz Steak for Two plus one other item she can't recall.

She had the Del Mer with no upcharge. She thought the portions were smaller than last year, with only a couple shrimp and scallops in the dish.

Sounds like there is some current inconsistent handling of upcharges with the packages. I think if I were cruising soon, I'd print out the Terms and Conditions and bring them with me.

The terms of the UDP clearly stated and named those up charge dishes at Bistro were included in the UDP, so no news there but they are still covered.

Interesting about the soda, must be one of those unwritten perks. I'll drink water but had I known they were free, give me a diet Pepsi please.

It's been reported by BermudaBound2014 who is currently on the GA that they have whole main lobster and a 32oz steak for an additional $10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47450951

It appears that it is not covered by the UDP or SDP but it's another option for everyone to enjoy if you choose. That's great news for everyone. So for all you nickel and dimers out there, it comes to 118 dimes or 236 nickels if you so choose.

Thank you NCL!

ROTFL

Jancruz1

The terms of the UDP clearly stated and named those up charge dishes at Bistro were included in the UDP, so no news there but they are still covered.

Interesting about the soda, must be one of those unwritten perks. I'll drink water but had I known they were free, give me a diet Pepsi please.

I just re read the T&Cs for both the UBP and the UDP and both specifically exclude beverages, so why they are including soda is beyond me. Unless, this is a new decision not reflected in the terms yet. But I can't see NCL giving away something they can make a profit on.

As far as up charge items, the UDP clearly states they are included. But, the SDP makes NO mention of upcharge items. So maybe that accounts for the differing experiences being reported. Those with UDP get them free, those with SDP pay $10 for the upcharge items.

Edited by punkincc

I just re read the T&Cs for both the UBP and the UDP and both specifically exclude beverages, so why they are including soda is beyond me. Unless, this is a new decision not reflected in the terms yet. But I can't see NCL giving away something they can make a profit on.

As far as up charge items, the UDP clearly states they are included. But, the SDP makes NO mention of upcharge items. So maybe that accounts for the differing experiences being reported. Those with UDP get them free, those with SDP pay $10 for the upcharge items.

I think with all of the new changes, the staff is confused as RichG said earlier in the thread they were told UDP people had to pay the upcharge and SDP people didn't.

"The next morning I went to guest services to see if I could "upgrade" to the SDP so as to not have to pay extra for premium selections. Was told this was not possible and there was nothing they could do, we would just have to pay extra for the premium items."

This is why I agree that the T&Cs need to be much more clear and from now on when you get a perk, print out the T&Cs that day as everything keeps changing.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I just re read the T&Cs for both the UBP and the UDP and both specifically exclude beverages, so why they are including soda is beyond me. Unless, this is a new decision not reflected in the terms yet. But I can't see NCL giving away something they can make a profit on ...

Maybe, urrrrr ... server's discretion ?? We dine in LeBistro twice on the BA in late March and didn't pay for our soda (came in the glasses, used to be a 12 oz. can - not sure if refills are unlimited these days) - no dining or beverage package whatsoever, as that was our Platinum perk. Server made a "honest" mistake as he was busy & gave DH a Pepsi instead of ginger ale, apologize & didn't charge us - otherwise, he would have to run back to the bar counter and ... Three nights later, we returned & he got our soda right this time, but was extremely busy and didn't have time to run up our charges & said it's okay, not a big deal. Perhaps, they're getting nice gratuities from others & us - we directly tip nicely in cash ... he was a happy camper.

Another night, in the Manhattan MDR ... waiter & assistant were very busy, took a long time to get our soda after the entree (used to have bar runners & wine steward) - apologized for the delay & told us discretely that he will take care of not charging us, a minor item.

As another posted noted, must be one of those unspoken practices among the happy crews ... slightly overworked at homes but feeling the need to take care of the customers paying the way. :D

[quote name='mking8288']Maybe, urrrrr ... server's discretion ?? We dine in LeBistro twice on the BA in late March and didn't pay for our soda (came in the glasses, used to be a 12 oz. can - not sure if refills are unlimited these days) - no dining or beverage package whatsoever, as that was our Platinum perk. Server made a "honest" mistake as he was busy & gave DH a Pepsi instead of ginger ale, apologize & didn't charge us - otherwise, he would have to run back to the bar counter and ... Three nights later, we returned & he got our soda right this time, but was extremely busy and didn't have time to run up our charges & said it's okay, not a big deal. Perhaps, they're getting nice gratuities from others & us - we directly tip nicely in cash ... he was a happy camper.

Another night, in the Manhattan MDR ... waiter & assistant were very busy, took a long time to get our soda after the entree (used to have bar runners & wine steward) - apologized for the delay & told us discretely that he will take care of not charging us, a minor item.

As another posted noted, must be one of those unspoken practices among the happy crews ... slightly overworked at homes but feeling the need to take care of the customers paying the way. :D[/QUOTE]

"Server's discretion" might apply occassionally. They just simply "forget" to put it on the bill. But just how much discretion to write off charges do you think NCL gives their servers? My guess is very little where revenue is involved. Pretty obvious that the servers were giving you the sodas on the QT. We were comped drinks in a bar once, but I'm pretty sure the server went to the bar mgr and got it approved due to certain circumstances.