Mexican Riviera

qsuzi

Good, glad they are going back into this area. Been several times but there are always favorites to enjoy over again - mainly dining and shopping in town. And sunsets on the back deck. This is just the right short get away cruise for us West-coasters.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?destCode=M&displayMode=advertising

Edited by OlsSalt

I second that for the Westerdam to Mexico! This itinerary deserves a larger and livelier ship. We also sailed on the Veendam to Mexico recently.

igraf

Thanks for letting us know. We did this cruise last November in a lanai cabin on the Veendam and it was so relaxing! It will be nice to have the Westerdam on this route for a change.

Thanks for letting us know. We did this cruise last November in a lanai cabin on the Veendam and it was so relaxing! It will be nice to have the Westerdam on this route for a change.

I second your statement about the Westerdam.

I wish they would bring back 11 day cruises & have an overnight in PV & maybe Cabo.

Sea of Cortez is great but think they probably just want some baby steps back into this area to see how it goes. Hope it goes well. Loved Mazatlan.

San Diego is the 8th most populous city in the USA and we are still treated like a small town......

igraf

....That said, I'd be just as likely to take princess as there are more flight options to LA.

Thx for posting qsuzi.

Edited by igraf

San Diego is the 8th most populous city in the USA and we are still treated like a small town......

igraf

We soooo agree with you 100%!!!!!

We love our Sea of Cortez and our 11 day Mexican Riviera!

After the problems in Matzatlan several years ago everything stopped out of San Diego!!!

Please bring all Mexican Cruises BACK!!!!

Denise:)

My home San Diego!

2008-2010 we did 6 cruises!!!!

After that it went down hill

igraf

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. It's rare when I can get a direct flight out of San Diego. Most people would rather take a direct flight then transfer and make a day out of it. If you live there it would be quite different. The port doesn't help matters either. Hal has long said that it's the most difficult poet they deal with and at one point was going to pull out of San Diego.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. It's rare when I can get a direct flight out of San Diego. Most people would rather take a direct flight then transfer and make a day out of it. If you live there it would be quite different. The port doesn't help matters either. Hal has long said that it's the most difficult poet they deal with and at one point was going to pull out of San Diego.

Hi Cruz Chic!

Hope your weekend was good! Ours was sooooo humid and hot! For us it is so uncomfortable.

Question so I can understand. Why is our port difficult and at one time pulling out. Just asking because I would really like to know!

Have a good week

Hi Cruz Chic!

Hope your weekend was good! Ours was sooooo humid and hot! For us it is so uncomfortable.

Question so I can understand. Why is our port difficult and at one time pulling out. Just asking because I would really like to know!

Have a good week

It's been stupid hot here too. Thankfully it's cooled down.

I've been invited to private meet and greets with senior officers on some cruises. I've chatted about problems I've had disembarking in San Diego on almost every cruise. I was told that San Diego is their most difficult port. Not sure if they give ships a hard time or what but it's never smooth.

I took a Panama cruise in 2014. Shortly after I booked that cruise it was showing as sold out. I knew this wasn't the case as it was almost a year out. Hal was not forthcoming with answers but the scuttlebutt from someone in the know was that Hal was planning to exit San Diego. Hal never did come out and say this but it sure seems that way given the few cruises they have leaving from there. There used to be tons of cruises from San Diego now there is hardly any so there is likely some truth to the issues.

Sadly Dan Diego's new cruise terminal is very poorly designed. I can see why HAL does not like it. Lines, congestion and chaos were my last memories. The older terminal was bigger and could absorb the crowd but something really went wrong with the new one.

That being said, I am very happy to see HAL come back to San Diego for the Mexican Riviera. There is a lot to like about this port for all of us Southern Californians - take the train, close by hotels, easy airport, good parking. Great things to see close by. San Diego you are a great travel destination.

Edited by OlsSalt

Sadly Dan Diego's new cruise terminal is very poorly designed. I can see why HAL does not like it. Lines, congestion and chaos were my last memories. The older terminal was bigger and could absorb the crowd but something really went wrong with the new one.

That being said, I am very happy to see HAL come back to San Diego for the Mexican Riviera. There is a lot to like about this port for all of us Southern Californians - take the train, close by hotels, easy airport, good parking. Great things to see close by. San Diego you are a great travel destination.

When did San Diego get their new terminal? I know they have done some remodeling around the port but ???

Thanks for the update. That probably means we'll see the Caribbean itineraries before Halloween. [emoji316]

I noticed still only the Koningsdam Caribbean itineraries. Do you think the full itineraries are not out because they are trying to push cruisers to book the "K"?

I'm not a fan of the westerdam but at least it's better than the Veendam. That said, I'd be just as likely to take princess as there are more flight options to LA.

Thx for posting qsuzi.

Thanks cruz chic. We are sailing the Westerdam soon and looking forward to it being better than the Veendam. I am interested to know why you are not a fan of the W?

Edited by qsuzi

It's been stupid hot here too. Thankfully it's cooled down.

I've been invited to private meet and greets with senior officers on some cruises. I've chatted about problems I've had disembarking in San Diego on almost every cruise. I was told that San Diego is their most difficult port. Not sure if they give ships a hard time or what but it's never smooth.

I took a Panama cruise in 2014. Shortly after I booked that cruise it was showing as sold out. I knew this wasn't the case as it was almost a year out. Hal was not forthcoming with answers but the scuttlebutt from someone in the know was that Hal was planning to exit San Diego. Hal never did come out and say this but it sure seems that way given the few cruises they have leaving from there. There used to be tons of cruises from San Diego now there is hardly any so there is likely some truth to the issues.

Good morning!

Sorry not thanking you last nite! Finally went to bed!

I appreciate your answer!

It seems since our new terminal was built with a lot of headaches!

2010 we were on our Xmas cruise 12 day doing the Mexican Riviera which we loved so much, but it was such a headache getting inside the terminal and all the problems and what a pain when we returned getting off!

Then when the drug cartel in Mazatlan started in and down in Acapulco, which we saw first hand on a bus that was scary!

HAL told everyone on board the Captain that nite he would not let any of his passengers in Harms way!!

My husband said then "watch HAL pull out of San Diego!"

Thanks cruz chic. We are sailing the Westerdam soon and looking forward to it being better than the Veendam. I am interested to know why you are not a fan of the W?

My issues were service related. My second cruise was after a dry dock and they couldn't get it together. While this can happen on any ship I'm not in a hurry to go back to a ship I didn't enjoy.

It is something San Diegans are aware of being next to Los Angeles. Even our football team is threatening to leave.....

To be fair, you should also consider the much longer bus/taxi ride between the LA cruise ports and LAX through LA freeway traffic. In San Diego the airport to cruise shuttle is only 2 miles on a surface street. The difference is the same with a hotel stay, and quite frankly I would rather spend extra hotel days in San Diego.

igraf

It is something San Diegans are aware of being next to Los Angeles. Even our football team is threatening to leave.....

To be fair, you should also consider the much longer bus/taxi ride between the LA cruise ports and LAX through LA freeway traffic. In San Diego the airport to cruise shuttle is only 2 miles on a surface street. The difference is the same with a hotel stay, and quite frankly I would rather spend extra hotel days in San Diego.

igraf

I'd much rather spend a day in San Diego than LA. No question about it. If I can spend 3 hours on a plane or spend the whole day flying (with connections) there is no question that's going to weigh into my decision. I've cruised out of LA and San Diego multiple times so I am aware of the difference in commute. I've never found the LA commute to be particularly cumbersome.