Tropical Depression, Tropical Storm , Hurricane

volmoma

I have been on two cruises with ports cancelled due to weather, and one where a port was cancelled due to mechanical issues. The main thing to remember is that nothing is set in stone until the Captain says so, whether it be the weather, a port cancellation/rearrangement, etc. I once packed raincoats and jeans for a cruise of the weather report 3 days before departure for the cruise, and it ended up being 95-100 degrees, no clouds. I've also had it the opposite. I know they will do the best they can to make sure you hit all of your ports, even if it's not in the originally planned order. They do not want to cancel, a boat of upset passengers is not fun. But I know whatever happens, you will have a great cruise :D

Exactly! What kills me is that people will complain about a change of port when it is a change due to safety issues such as severe weather conditions or an inability to stop at a certain port. Relax, people! Have fun no matter where you are, and you won't be all bunged up when there's a change in port. This is coming from a person who is a bit of a planner, but I can have fun anywhere.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you book a cruise during hurricane season, you can't be completely surprised by the threat of tropical storms and hurricanes, can you? It's why the rates are so good during that time. With the benefit comes also the risk. If I cruise during this time period, I would be more flexible in my expectations.

I'm on the same cruise as the OP. I know it won't hit Aruba or Curacao, but what worries me is being able to get back. We were on the breeze in May and did the same itinerary. The trip was pretty bumpy and there were no storms then lol.

It's too early to tell what Danny will be doing or where he'll be (or if he'll even still be a hurricane or tropical storm) by the time of your return next weekend. Rest assured the captain will not sail you into really bad weather, though. Enjoy your trip, relax, and be flexible. Worst-case scenario is a little rain and an extra day on the ship for you. :D

All that said, Danny looks like he will be in the area of the northern Leeward Islands (around the "curve" at the top of the island chain, if you look at a map of the Caribbean islands) sometime on Monday. By Wednesday he'll probably be somewhere north and and west of there. Most likely, if Danny is still even a factor at that point your captain will be able to sail back behind Danny, and you won't get much of anything from it. At this point it's not unlikely that Danny will simply curve out into the Atlantic after its trip to the islands and he may not affect the Turks and Caicos, Bahamas, or US at all, but anything beyond 5 days (Monday, as of today) is mostly speculation.

Edited by gtalum

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you book a cruise during hurricane season, you can't be completely surprised by the threat of tropical storms and hurricanes, can you? It's why the rates are so good during that time. With the benefit comes also the risk. If I cruise during this time period, I would be more flexible in my expectations.

To be fair, OP didn't seem to be complaining, but more just asking what might happen.

I really don't think I was complaining......I was simply asking what the alternatives might be. We have sailed many times during HURRICANE season with no problems. As for being cheaper, yes, I agree and with that comes risk. But not much cheaper, as a lot of people perceive it being. This time the risk has a name, DANNY. Just give me a day or two out of my eight with some good pool time and I'll be a super happy camper. No good pool time, I'll adjust, the bars are always open..[emoji484][emoji485][emoji483][emoji41]

I really don't think I was complaining......I was simply asking what the alternatives might be. We have sailed many times during HURRICANE season with no problems. As for being cheaper, yes, I agree and with that comes risk. But not much cheaper, as a lot of people perceive it being. This time the risk has a name, DANNY. Just give me a day or two out of my eight with some good pool time and I'll be a super happy camper. No good pool time, I'll adjust, the bars are always open..[emoji484][emoji485][emoji483][emoji41]

If Danny is a factor in your cruise at all, it won't be until near the end. Don't worry, have a good time, and be flexible. :)

If Danny is a factor in your cruise at all, it won't be until near the end. Don't worry, have a good time, and be flexible. :)

For sure we're flexible. Can't control the weather. We cruised out of port Canaveral once in the rain, know that I look back, it was fun. Different but fun. Finishing up our packing, DH is on the golf course, and tomorrow morning can't come fast enough!!!

yeah, we get on the Glory on Saturday... heading for VI area. If we get diverted, no biggie, we are still on vacation.

On that one... If Danny pans out as forecast they may choose to switch you to a western itinerary. Then again they may not. Just be prepared. :)

Totally watching the weather center on TV while packing. Looks like we'll have better weather at sea than at home. At this moment.

Totally watching the weather center on TV while packing. Looks like we'll have better weather at sea than at home. At this moment.

I'm just jealous because I don't have a cruise to worry about for another 7 months...

I'm watching Danny because I'm a storm geek and because last night one of the models ran his center right by my house in ~14 days. :D

We are sailing out on Carnival Pride Sunday and are supposed to port in Fl on Wed and Bahamas Thursday and Friday. Hopefully Danny turns out to sea by then. But I'm still on vacation so wherever we go I'm ok with it!

In August, 2004 ago we were on the Carnival Liberty and were scheduled to cruise the Western Caribbean. After we boarded, the Captain informed us that due to a Hurricane in the Gulf (Ivan?) , we were to sail the Eastern Caribbean instead. We were scheduled to dock in St. Maarten.

Just before we docked we had heard on CNN, that there was a tropical depression just off the island. The information desk told us not to worry and to go on our tours.

By the afternoon, the island was having gale force winds. We actually departed several hours early. By the time we left St. Maarten, the storm had become a Hurricane (Frances?) and headed for St. Thomas. Because of this we diverted to the North Atlantic and missed most of our ports, the ship finally docking in Nassau.

To add further insult, one week later the same storm which was a Category 3 hit us in Florida.

PS. We still had a great time on the cruise.

August and September have some of the cheapest cruise rates, but you do take the chance of having a Hurricaine.

To add further insult, one week later the same storm which was a Category 3 hit us in Florida.

PS. We still had a great time on the cruise.

LOL - Ten years ago we sailed on Conquest out of NOLA two days before Hurricane Dennis formed. We made it to Jamaica, but the islanders were in storm preparation mode. We skipped Grand Cayman altogether, but fortunately Cozumel had an open pier so we were able to do an overnight there. Before we arrived, the Captain told us that the storm was predicted to hit the Gulf Coast on Sunday and the Mississippi River likely would close, so anyone who really needed to get home on time should consider disembarking in Cozumel and flying home.

That Sunday we spent the day circling a bunch of oil rigs in the Western Gulf. It was rough - I've never seen so many "do not disturb" signs on cabin doors. So that was our first experience with Dennis. Still, like you said - a great cruise.

Monday we were back in NOLA and flew home via Chicago. By this time Dennis was well inland and we ended up flying through part of the storm. Second experience. One of the roughest flights I've had.

Tuesday we were home in NYS. Dennis then hit us a third time, with heavy rain. The storm that wouldn't end.:p

LOL - Ten years ago we sailed on Conquest out of NOLA two days before Hurricane Dennis formed. We made it to Jamaica, but the islanders were in storm preparation mode. We skipped Grand Cayman altogether, but fortunately Cozumel had an open pier so we were able to do an overnight there. Before we arrived, the Captain told us that the storm was predicted to hit the Gulf Coast on Sunday and the Mississippi River likely would close, so anyone who really needed to get home on time should consider disembarking in Cozumel and flying home.

That Sunday we spent the day circling a bunch of oil rigs in the Western Gulf. It was rough - I've never seen so many "do not disturb" signs on cabin doors. So that was our first experience with Dennis. Still, like you said - a great cruise.

Monday we were back in NOLA and flew home via Chicago. By this time Dennis was well inland and we ended up flying through part of the storm. Second experience. One of the roughest flights I've had.

Tuesday we were home in NYS. Dennis then hit us a third time, with heavy rain. The storm that wouldn't end.:p

Sorry, I had to chuckle. We were 30 minutes ahead of the big ice storm in January 2011. We had been home just a very short time when Atlanta started shutting down. No one could go anywhere on interstate 75. We live right outside of Chattanooga. You guys had the storm that just kept on giving, I was still working at that time and had to go to work at the USPS. BRRRRRRRR

It is going to be a fantastic cruise with or with out Danny :)

Safe travels to Florida Volmoma see you guys on board at the glow away party!

See you all there at the Glow Away Party! (this is Angelique's husband) Let's all get together and have a hurricane or two from the bar!

In 2005 our family was to fly to New Orleans and then Drive to Mobile for a cruise on Carnival Holiday. That would have been our first cruise. We didn't have insurance, so even know we knew the hurricane was 100% hitting land, the airline said in order for us to get our money back, we had to attempt to get to our destination. So our family of 6 with our fingers crossed that the hurricane would some how move the other way got on the plane. We only made it to DEN airport when Hurricane Katrina started to hit land. After several hours of standing in line with everyone else, the airline offered to get our family to Pensacola, FL, since NOLA was already closed. I said Heck no! There was no way my family was going to get off a plane and go straight to a shelter. What a day~

I try too hard not to complain. I only lost a cruise, a vacation. I didn't loose my life, my loved ones, or my home. We had a very crappy McDonald's lunch at the Denver airport, stood in line for a couple of hours, then went back to GEG airport, back to the parking lot to retrieve our car were the employee was very confused why we were back so soon. Worst part, getting home and unpacking 6 suitcases of clean clothes and putting them away and trying to explain to 4 kids why we weren't going on the ship after all.

Consolation prize: New living room furniture (that fell apart before our next cruise :eek: ). Too bad employers don't refund vacations. We eventually got the money back from the airline tickets. and FYI, from then on, we always carry trip insurance (not through the cruise line!) Live and learn.

Joepeka, YES it is.....but hey, A bad day at sea is better than a good day on land!!!! [emoji41]

Couldn't agree more! Sitting on a ship floating in the middle of the ocean -- it doesn't get any better than that -- even if it's rocking and rolling! :-) Make it to a port or miss a port -- when I'm on a ship I'm happy!