Tropical Depression, Tropical Storm , Hurricane

volmoma

I know if weather threatens they do skip ports....my question....it's an 8 day southern Caribbean, leaving Friday 8/21, on the Sunshine, with only 3 ports. Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk in that order. Wonder if reversing the ports would be of any help in avoiding the bad weather?? It has gone from depression to storm already. Strong hurricane, weak hurricane it's all a hurricane!!!!! [emoji100][emoji100][emoji97][emoji97][emoji298]️[emoji298]️

Edited by volmoma

Last October, we were to cruise Eastern Caribbean on the Conquest. As we were boarding, you were handed a sheet of paper, a weather report. Right after muster, but before leaving port, the captain announced overhead a change in plans. Hurricane Gonzalo had formed and we had our ports changed to Western. Not one scheduled port. Ended up in Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, & Belize. Lots of VERY unhappy cruisers. We had never been to these ports, so we were ok with the change.

If switching the order of ports would help the ship make the stops, I'm sure the Captain would make the decision to do just that. The cruise line does not enjoy disappointing the passengers. Having a ship full of angry people is not fun to handle either.

There is no way to predict ANYTHING now. You will find out when you get on the ship or soon after.

They cannot just say, well we can't make that port so we will just pull into another.

However, this is not their first time at the rodeo and I am sure they will do what they can to keep the pax happy and the ship safe.

I have been on two cruises with ports cancelled due to weather, and one where a port was cancelled due to mechanical issues. The main thing to remember is that nothing is set in stone until the Captain says so, whether it be the weather, a port cancellation/rearrangement, etc. I once packed raincoats and jeans for a cruise of the weather report 3 days before departure for the cruise, and it ended up being 95-100 degrees, no clouds. I've also had it the opposite. I know they will do the best they can to make sure you hit all of your ports, even if it's not in the originally planned order. They do not want to cancel, a boat of upset passengers is not fun. But I know whatever happens, you will have a great cruise :D

I know if weather threatens they do skip ports....my question....it's an 8 day southern Caribbean, leaving Friday 8/21, on the Sunshine, with only 3 ports. Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk in that order. Wonder if reversing the ports would be of any help in avoiding the bad weather?? It has gone from depression to storm already. Strong hurricane, weak hurricane it's all a hurricane!!!!! [emoji100][emoji100][emoji97][emoji97][emoji298]️[emoji298]️

It's probably too early to tell which direction that tropical system will go, assuming it holds together at all. As others have mentioned, the captain (with help from the home office) will make the proper decisions on rerouting if necessary. It could well be your suggestion is what happens but it's something that probably won't be known or decided for many more days. Frustrating, isn't it? :(

I've been on a few cruises where tendered ports were cancelled. The weather didn't look that bad, just too windy to safely board the tender boats. The captain can't risk someone falling while trying to cross from the ship to the small transport craft, or getting stranded on the island. But then, some days, being stranded on a tropical island doesn't sound bad. :D

Joepeka, YES it is.....but hey, A bad day at sea is better than a good day on land!!!! [emoji41]

Tell that to the people who were on Concordia...

We are booked on a cruise that sails Sunday.

I don't care at all about the ports and would kind of enjoy a little bit of a storm.

Not a huge everyone is puking sort though.:eek:

I'll be watching to see what happens with your cruise. I'm sailing on an 8 day eastern on the Sunshine the latter part of September. Forecasters are calling for possible formations for the next several weeks. What the Sunshine does with your cruise will give me some idea of the possibilities with mine just in case. I'll be tracking the storm to see if it, God forbid, impacts any of the ports we're to visit. Don't want a repeat of 2005 when had to sail out of Houston vs. New Orleans due to Katrina and then lost half our ports due to Wilma.

I'll be watching to see what happens with your cruise. I'm sailing on an 8 day eastern on the Sunshine the latter part of September. Forecasters are calling for possible formations for the next several weeks. What the Sunshine does with your cruise will give me some idea of the possibilities with mine just in case. I'll be tracking the storm to see if it, God forbid, impacts any of the ports we're to visit. Don't want a repeat of 2005 when had to sail out of Houston vs. New Orleans due to Katrina and then lost half our ports due to Wilma.

Thanks!!! Will try to keep people posted, we're going to get wi fi, not sure how well it will work if storms are around...[emoji41]

Don't sweat it. Aruba and Curacao won't be affected. The storm doesn't even get close to any islands until Sunday, at the earliest, probably more like Monday or Tuesday if it approaches at all.

Thanks!!! Will try to keep people posted, we're going to get wi fi, not sure how well it will work if storms are around...[emoji41]

Thanks and hope you have nothing but smooth sailing and a wonderful trip.:)

I'm on the same cruise as the OP. I know it won't hit Aruba or Curacao, but what worries me is being able to get back. We were on the breeze in May and did the same itinerary. The trip was pretty bumpy and there were no storms then lol.

Our frist cruise was back in 2004. We were book on Glory. Wish thangs would of been better then they were. lol Our cruise was cut down from 7 to 4 days. See, we had the pleasure of meeting Hurricane Frances!!

The ship could not dock in Port Canaveral because there was damage to the port and had to have shuttle buses to take us to Miami.

instead of a 7 day to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we ended up just going to Cozumel.

We did get 50% off our cruise and 50% our next cruise within a year but unfortunately we were not able to take adantage of the offer. My son is on a ventilator and we could never get away. Now that I can get away, We just booked another cruise.. :) Again I booked in September.. Why, It's much cheaper lol I HAVE ONE REQUEST.... PLEASE, NO HURRICANES!!!

Edited by Jesziegler