Heavy winds,is that really unusal in Skagway?

ShakeDaddy

We had strong winds last week in Skagway, but they mainly blew in the afternoon. The Solstice (and others) docked without difficulty.

Interesting question. I don't think this happens that often, but if other ships also didn't dock that leads me to believe it was pretty rough.

Sorry you missed this great port.

Maybe not a daily event but it does happen quite a bit there in Skagway. I've never missed a stop there but gotten quite close. Upon leaving one time, it was so windy that the captain urged everyone to stay inside, especially children. He also requested that women didn't wear heels and please use the handrails. My DH went to the buffet to get us something to eat and swore he was walking sideways....as the wind caused the ship to list something fierce.

The winds conditions on the day in question were in the 70-80 miles/perhour..Lynn canal leading to the docks is a narrow funnel-like body of water and winds are alwaysa factor there. When they're projected or/and experienced to be at such a high velocity, it makes it very treacherous for the best pilots and captains to manoeuvre cruise ships to and from docks.

That day, only Noordam managed to dock, ironically at the Broadway dock normally the most challenging one....:confused:. Crown Princess, Star Princess and Solstice ultimately decided to change course and go elsewhere.

I fully understand why the bridge officers made that decision. Arriving ships are normally up Lynn Creek middle of the night,therefore had a few hours to ''try and figure it out'' before deciding to turn around.

Another factor; the predicted velocity has to be taken into account when debating whether or not to dock in the first place: might be feasible at 0500hr...but if winds are projected to be 75-80mpr at sailaway time, BAD move !!

Wwinds velocity are always increasing late afternoon in Skagway.

Finally, the North West Alaska cruise association ( my naming might not be 100% accurate) ,representing all cruise lines sailing in Alaska, always makes arrangements covering the daily /all season availability of 2 tugs,on standby, for Skagway. The cost is borne by all lines,prorated. This contingency is very frequently used at sailaway,much more so than docking early morning. This is one of the reasons why,with 4 ships in town, they all have different deoarture time. I personally been in Skagway 9 times....witnessed the tugs at work 6 times, one of which was quite a bit of hard slugging.....

SO: what happened this week is quite understandable, although such wind velocity is rare ( unless you're late september !!!:D)

Anybody knows where Solly spent the day ? Crown P was in Endicott and Star P dropped the hook in Juneau.

My opinion only

cheers