Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

For those Brits who hoped otherwise' genuine consolotations.

For the rest of us, us Brits, despite the fears heaped on us, we have voted for freedom and self determination, and I am immensely proud of us.

For the rest of Europe, this is the trigger of significant changes for all of us, where we continue to trade peacefully together but start the process of reclaiming our unique personalities our democracies.

A lovely sunny morning here in blighty, the dawn of new and optimistic times for us.

:)

Jeff

Coming out of lurkdom to say :

Morning Coolers :D

I'm so pleased and very surprised by this result.

I stayed up until 2.30am and at that point it was starting to look as if Remain would catch up. I woke at 6.30am to this wonderful news.

As expected, Cameron to step down inOctober, when we will have a new leader to take us through our next phase. A slow, steady navigation out.

Jeff

Yes, yes, to all of this - but WHO is that leader likely to be? I do find that worrying.

It was a huge decision, and clear that while London, Scotland and N. Ireland wanted to stay in, those of us in the 'counties' were overwhelmingly for out - 60% to 40% in my region. Certainly the people have spoken, but it was actually a courageous decision, as the next few years are not going to be easy. It will be interesting to see how many other EU countries will have to hold referenda in the near future.

Sitting on The Cloud having watched all night. So pleased with the result. Puzzlement over the poll explained. It was what we felt in our area but London and Scotland levelled it down to nearly 50/50. Sheer numbers voting got us over the line. Camerons done the honourable thing. Let's see what happens with Osbourne. Looks like Jeremy's in trouble too. Kate Hoey talked great sense this morning. She's a treasure for Labour as is Gisela Stuart. Sure all of the markets will settle down in a few days. So glad we had the courage as a country to do this. I was prepared as a democrat to accept the result whatever and hope Remainers can be gracious.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, yes, to all of this - but WHO is that leader likely to be? I do find that worrying.

It was a huge decision, and clear that while London, Scotland and N. Ireland wanted to stay in, those of us in the 'counties' were overwhelmingly for out - 60% to 40% in my region. Certainly the people have spoken, but it was actually a courageous decision, as the next few years are not going to be easy. It will be interesting to see how many other EU countries will have to hold referenda in the near future.

I would ignore the polls for Osborne, May or even Boris.

I'd like to see Gove appointed.

Jeff

Sitting on The Cloud having watched all night. So pleased with the result. Puzzlement over the poll explained. It was what we felt in our area but London and Scotland levelled it down to nearly 50/50. Sheer numbers voting got us over the line. Camerons done the honourable thing. Let's see what happens with Osbourne. Looks like Jeremy's in trouble too. Kate Hoey talked great sense this morning. She's a treasure for Labour as is Gisela Stuart. Sure all of the markets will settle down in a few days. So glad we had the courage as a country to do this. I was prepared as a democrat to accept the result whatever and hope Remainers can be gracious.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We owe a debt to Jeremy for working actively on behalf of the out vote, and for Cameron at al for a terrible campaign of bullying and name calling. You cannot treat the British people that way and win. QED.

Enjoy the Cloud Jane,

Jeff

I would ignore the polls for Osborne, May or even Boris.

I'd like to see Gove appointed.

Jeff

Hear hear Jeff - certainly not Boris, and preferably not Osborne or May. Michael Gove does not seem to be the 'type' but he strikes me as an honourable man - as far as any of them are - and is certainly very intelligent and clever, and of course was for Brexit all along.

Hear hear Jeff - certainly not Boris, and preferably not Osborne or May. Michael Gove does not seem to be the 'type' but he strikes me as an honourable man - as far as any of them are - and is certainly very intelligent and clever, and of course was for Brexit all along.

Hopefully a degree of intelligence will prevail.

The key now is to recognise that we have our freedom in our back pocket. We must not invoke clause 50 for at the very least a year. Let the dust settle. Let emotions settle. Let us see some face changes in the EU. The new trading arrangements will be negotiated at PM level. Boris has irritated too many and would be a bad choice. People need to save face in the EU. The seam of gold that may work is recognising we are a special case compared with others that may wish to leave. We are not in the Eurozone. That might might provide the face saving get out for all sides. Gove could negotiate that, but Boris couldn't.

I think this is also a chance to finally nail the Scottish question. Most Brits do not want them to have another vote. I think it would be a good thing they do have another vote because it will be nailed dead once and for all.

The Scottish are being told by Salmond that they are members of the EU. They are not, it is the UK that is a member. In order to apply, they need to leave the UK and the large degree of autonomy, independence but the very cushy financial reliance that cushions them of the UK for the Eurozone and compliance with an even more prescriptive government of the EU. They will lose even more independence than they have now and they will be extremely poor if ever they met entry requirements which I doubt. Once that dawns on the Scottish they will wish to remain in the UK once and for all and the question will go away for another hundred years.

Jeff

Best wishes and good fortune to our cousins across the pond! There has been a lot of fear mongering in the media here in Canada that intensified over the last couple of weeks. Doom and gloom predicted for us in the colonies if the vote went for "leave". We will batten down the hatches and ride the storm. Sail on! :)

Best wishes and good fortune to our cousins across the pond! There has been a lot of fear mongering in the media here in Canada that intensified over the last couple of weeks. Doom and gloom predicted for us in the colonies if the vote went for "leave". We will batten down the hatches and ride the storm. Sail on! :)

Thanks.

They have been promising a plague and the murder of the first born, but

I cannot think of a single reason why this would have any adverse effect on Canada, other than your holidays in Britain would be a bit cheaper for a while ...

Jeff

We owe a debt to Jeremy for working actively on behalf of the out vote, and for Cameron at al for a terrible campaign of bullying and name calling. You cannot treat the British people that way and win. QED.

Labour have called for Corbyn to resign. (I think you are right Jeff. His support was so underwhelming, he could well have subliminally sending the message "leave".

Sturgeon has called for a referendum. Le Penn and several EU countries also calling a referendum.

Dominoes anyone?

In the meantime, Brexit has just cost me £400 in hotel prices increases! :p Foolishly I didnt book last night. Doh! Oh well!

Commiserations to Remains....

On the bright side, I can now order a more powerful vacuum cleaner! :p

Shock is right now kicking in across the board as the flaming begins....Brussels saying that Cameron is irresponsible....Boris quite suddenly only doing press conferences as the race is on for the new Tory leader...his father piping up and on it will go....and now we have Turnberry Trump kicking in even though he seems a tad confused as to where he is......

Whilst l am happy enough with the result l do feel a lot of sadness....only time will tell once they all stop throwing their teddies out of their cots......and bloody well get on with it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The forums where people use to be simply nasty to each other appears to be erupting into flames. I'm glad I don't bother to participate as I simply seem to bring the worst out of people. Some of the remainers have been terrible.

Les, my next Singapore suite has also taken a big hit as it's three weeks ! :eek:

Ocado now stock Deutz which is bad news as they have just delivered some.

This has been a terrible choice for people to be asked to make, and what we must do is put the differences behind us and push on and in the good old British way make a good fist of things.

Jeff

Agreed! I personally got more insight into the issue by reading comments on this thread than I did from the media here. I did not comment prior to the vote because I did not feel it was my place. I did follow the "conversations" with interest though.

The tree has definitely been shaken, and shaken hard. We will see what falls out. So far there is a lot of stuff on the ground.

There are predictions for our stock market too. Yesterday when spirits were high and the thought was that there would be no exit, the market went up 200 points. We will see what happens today.

Ripple effects.

For those who believe they have taken back their country, it's truly historic and amazing.

The tree has definitely been shaken, and shaken hard. We will see what falls out. So far there is a lot of stuff on the ground.

There are predictions for our stock market too. Yesterday when spirits were high and the thought was that there would be no exit, the market went up 200 points. We will see what happens today.

Ripple effects.

For those who believe they have taken back their country, it's truly historic and amazing.

Spins, as you may have gathered, I think and worry about these things a lot. I'm acutely aware that I may be wrong. And to be honest, I'm so filled with self-doubt I always think I might be and fret. I try to be guided by instinct.

So from an instinct point, I don't know how closely other follows these other things, but I'd like to remind people about two other organisations that over this neck of the woods been in the public eye recently who prefer to remain secretive.

FIFA and IOC.

Think about how a really closed cash bountiful secretive organisations enriched themselves. We have lost both the integrity of international football and the Olympic games. Now we have given pulled back from giving up democracy. I find so many similarities between those sagas and where we are with the EU. Although it might seem bizarre, the similarities are eerie, but football and Olympic games are not as important as democracy. But the more I think of it the more the similarities alarm me. Low level untalented politicians and lawyers making up our "heads of state" and our "top level law courts" and constantly theatening and bribing others to comply. There are more similarities than differnces. 10,000 administrative eurocrats that earn more than our Prime Minister plus all their perqs.

Good bleedin' riddance. :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks.

They have been promising a plague and the murder of the first born, but

I cannot think of a single reason why this would have any adverse effect on Canada, other than your holidays in Britain would be a bit cheaper for a while ...

Jeff

Even the U.S. is predicting an adverse effect. I truly don't understand why. Must admit that I was surprised by the vote (as was my British DH) but am hopeful that this will bring about both freedom for the U.K. (and for countries that follow their lead) and perhaps a sense of responsibility for those left in the EU. IMO, many countries in the EU have lost their identity and are spilling money into countries that are failing and were better off before becoming part of the EU.

Please understand that, as someone born in the U.S. that my understanding of the situation may be a bit askew.

The one concern I have is the effect that the lower GBP against some other currencies will have on the people of the U.K. Yes - it will make travel to the U.K. more affordable but not so much for people wanting to take a vacation/holiday abroad (or even on Silversea).

Am interested in your comments (please go easy on me -- if I said anything offensive, it was not my attention). I do much better when I comment on your chef skills.