Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Even the U.S. is predicting an adverse effect. I truly don't understand why. Must admit that I was surprised by the vote (as was my British DH) but am hopeful that this will bring about both freedom for the U.K. (and for countries that follow their lead) and perhaps a sense of responsibility for those left in the EU. IMO, many countries in the EU have lost their identity and are spilling money into countries that are failing and were better off before becoming part of the EU.

Please understand that, as someone born in the U.S. that my understanding of the situation may be a bit askew.

The one concern I have is the effect that the lower GBP against some other currencies will have on the people of the U.K. Yes - it will make travel to the U.K. more affordable but not so much for people wanting to take a vacation/holiday abroad (or even on Silversea).

Am interested in your comments (please go easy on me -- if I said anything offensive, it was not my attention). I do much better when I comment on your chef skills.

Hi TC.

The sad thing about this has been the behaviour of the EU grandees in their leadup to this. In fact their bullying behaviour has in my view been the deciding factor for the British people.

The point you have made is a really valid one. The Brits have decided to take whatever they might suffer to reestablish our own democracy.

The EU could have reacted respectfully of the democratic wishes of the British people. The could have said "no probs ... we are all a peaceful trading zone and that is the main aim, we respect whatever you may conlude and will work with it". We are after all told that the EU has been instrumental in avoiding strife.

Instead the EU has told us that we will be punished. We are told that unless we continue to pay them annual fees and agree to accept unlimited immigration and all their imposed rules then they will not talk to us or trade with us. The Brits were the wrong people to say this to.

They have turned Europe upside down. They have ruined Greece and are in the proces of ruining Spain and some of the other countires into economically barren zones relying on handouts.

If they do behave like petulant children and "punish us" whilst the French and Gemrans start to take up the slack of making up the funds that we were paying then they will demand their own referenda. They will not like how we are treated because they basically feel the same as we do. There is already a dangerous far right trend and the EU are too stupid to understand that they are sowing the seeds of terrible unrest. The game is basically up and it is just a matter of time.

By the way. This is the cooler. You mustn't apologise for stating your opinion because if anyone starts on you they have the rest of us to contend with and we don't like badd manners do we! :D

Jeff

Like all hubris I expect this will end in tears.

I so pity the younger generation which has had its future battered by this result.

We are already looking to get out of this self-important little island and the call of the old country grows ever stronger.

Oh, Britain. What have you done?

Like all hubris I expect this will end in tears.

I so pity the younger generation which has had its future battered by this result.

We are already looking to get out of this self-important little island and the call of the old country grows ever stronger.

Oh, Britain. What have you done?

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the arrogance of the British people's decision.

What "Old Country" are you yearning for?

Jeff

Don't drag the Scots and n Irish and londoners into this. Not all the British have voiced in favour of retrenchment.

Ireland.

Already got my sons and granddaughter their Irish passports in expectation that they would one day benefit.

Don't drag the Scots and n Irish and londoners into this. Not all the British have voiced in favour of retrenchment.

Ireland.

Already got my sons and granddaughter their Irish passports in expectation that they would one day benefit.

Are you seriously suggesting that central London should cease to be a part of the UK, declare independence and apply to be a member of the EU?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I did not suggest that. You are writing your own script on that.

I'm genuinely sorry that you are unhappy with the outcome of the referendum and hope that whatever arrangements you feel you need to make for you and your family turn out best for you.

Jeff

Good grief. OH doesn't mess about. I'm in dusseldorf right now and she has had unfettered access to my laptop back home and has found a marvellous country house on Co Kildare which she is making plans to go visit next week. So could be our 17th move in 35 years coming up!

I've spent 35 years trying to convince her we should retire to Ireland. Maybe the vote yesterday might help that cause.

The ramifications are already beginning. Moody's has cut the UK's rating to "negative". I had given the Brits more credit for intelligence than this, but clearly I was wrong (well, 48% knew what was best for the country. I feel sorry for them). The other 52% must have been swayed by fear/jingoism/their age profile and a simple lack of intelligence, unfortunately. No rational person could conclude that this was the right long-term path for the country.

I also feel sorry for the incoming leadership: they already face an electorate 48% of whom are upset from the result, and the other 52% soon will be when they realise their stupidity. There's no way for Cameron's replacement to win.

We are all entitled to our opinion Mr Oscar, even if it leads to insults I guess.

Welcome to cruise critic BTW.

What's quite remarkable is the remain campaign was happy enough to kick sand in the faces of those objecting to being ruled by an unelected elite whilst they thought they were ahead.

I genuinely went to bed believing the leave vote was going to lose. Had that happened, I would have graciously accepted democracy in action as we would had to accept. No one asked me if we should join and hand over control decision making powers to people overseas and im glad we are taking back control.

May I ask what part of the world you are from Mr Oscar?

Looks like this isn't a drill, it really is time to man the lifeboats.

I'm sure someone will manage to come up with a positive sometime - something really important like getting a blue passport - in the meanwhile I'm sure we should be grateful for the downgraded credit rating, imminent rate rise, weak pound, and market turmoil. We've taken our country back and a right old mess it is.

The older generation deciding the direction for the country's youth? Shame on you.

I'm sure someone will manage to come up with a positive sometime - something really important like getting a blue passport - in the meanwhile I'm sure we should be grateful for the downgraded credit rating, imminent rate rise, weak pound, and market turmoil. We've taken our country back and a right old mess it is.

The older generation deciding the direction for the country's youth? Shame on you.

No one who voted out was under any illusion that things would not be tough at the beginning. Its a fact, financial institutions do not like change. It brings about uncertainties. Nothing thats happened so far including the continued threats from our "friends" in the EU is a surprise.

BTW, wasnt Moodys the same people who continued to prop up with AAA ratings to US subprime lending banks and failed to realise the global recession it produced? "Experts" do get things wrong and often.

I wish you well if you return to Ireland though I'm puzzled why brexit would panic such thoughts. Retirement of course is a different thing alltogether.

No one who voted out was under any illusion that things would not be tough at the beginning. Its a fact, financial institutions do not like change. It brings about uncertainties. Nothing thats happened so far including the continued threats from our "friends" in the EU is a surprise.

BTW, wasnt Moodys the same people who continued to prop up with AAA ratings to US subprime lending banks and failed to realise the global recession it produced? "Experts" do get things wrong and often.

I wish you well if you return to Ireland though I'm puzzled why brexit would panic such thoughts. Retirement of course is a different thing alltogether.

I am already retired but this might be just the push OH needs. We have considered retiring to Ireland for some years but she was ambivalent. Now that has changed and she has booked a trip to see a property next week. I'm in Germany just now so she can stooge around the area unencumbered.

I hope things work out for the UK. I really do. We have many family members living in England and Wales who deserve better.

Sorry this is getting so heated. I am sad that the powers that be in Brussels are now going to make things as difficult as possible for us, as they fear 'encourager les autres', all the other countries who are equally concerned about what seems like it would be the United States of Europe in the not too distant.

On fact, although fairly ancient, I was thinking about the more distant future for the younger generation, rather than the next few years when our own lives are going to be worse off, probably. I see the present EU as a busted flush, which would be disintegrating anyway in due course.

I realise that Brexit only won because of the 'working class' Labour voters possibly rather one-sided attitude, essentially towards immigration from Europe, but I genuinely feel that in the long term we and the rest of the European countries most like us will be better off in every way if the EU as it stands disappears. I think Brexiteers did not say strongly enough that of course we want people from every country to be able to come here, if they are going to contribute to the life of the country, obviously including many Europeans, but we need to be able to decide who they are. As they do in Australia, for example.

Please let's be polite and tolerant to one another.

Lola

The ramifications are already beginning. Moody's has cut the UK's rating to "negative". I had given the Brits more credit for intelligence than this, but clearly I was wrong (well, 48% knew what was best for the country. I feel sorry for them). The other 52% must have been swayed by fear/jingoism/their age profile and a simple lack of intelligence, unfortunately. No rational person could conclude that this was the right long-term path for the country.

I also feel sorry for the incoming leadership: they already face an electorate 48% of whom are upset from the result, and the other 52% soon will be when they realise their stupidity. There's no way for Cameron's replacement to win.

We are all entitled to our opinion Mr Oscar, even if it leads to insults I guess.

Welcome to cruise critic BTW.

What's quite remarkable is the remain campaign was happy enough to kick sand in the faces of those objecting to being ruled by an unelected elite whilst they thought they were ahead.

I genuinely went to bed believing the leave vote was going to lose. Had that happened, I would have graciously accepted democracy in action as we would had to accept. No one asked me if we should join and hand over control decision making powers to people overseas and im glad we are taking back control.

May I ask what part of the world you are from Mr Oscar?

Good morning coolers ...... my first night's sleep for several nights. :)

I agree Les, that it does seem odd that the leavers who I see using media to express a view seem to find it a little to easy to be extremely rude to others they disagree with and also seem hazy or unclear about the specifics when challenged. Personally, if posters continue to simply indulge themseves in rudeness to others, then they essentially prove several things.

Firstly they clearly lack respect in others. Presumably they are posting in a way that they would not like to be treated by others and for those reasons, having been understanding and given them a free shot on the basis they are "upset" you shouldn't then further legitemise their posts with engagement any further unless they control themselves and show the courtesy to others they would like shown to them.

Secondly, if they choose to continue it proves that they have nothing better to say because if they did they would do so.

Finally, I appreciate enormously the privilege we have of posting what we think on the cooler without too much interference so long as we don't go overboard, and it is a privilege not a right, and risking that for the rest of us is self-indulgent and selfish to others. As an ancilliary issue I find it "odd" that someoen should use a first post simply to be rude, perhaps it is a poster with more than one identity.

Those with longer memories might recall I called the Scottish referendum to an accuracy of 0.1% on the old thread completely against all the commentators, and I had asked wifey whether I could put a substantial bet on brexit but was forbidden in case I put the mockers on the result. I always thought that commentary had under-estimated how quiet brexiters were being because they were only ever insulted when they expressed an opinion.

I doubt there wasn't a single person who voted for exit who wasn't mindful of the short to medium term effects this outcome might have and feared them. Their decision was a decision based on what they felt was a higher principle that possibly had short term costs to them and their families. It also seems to me that the remainers were prepared to sacrifice the same principles that concerned the brexiters because they felt that the short term was more important than the underlying principles.

I have asked TTS "What exactly most concerns you both about staying in the UK?" but I haven't seen a response other than to heap "shame" on us for our position.

I also ask that debate remains adult and courteous. Thanks in advance.

Jeff