Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Hot diggety dog, Jeff - those look like frozen chips, if so, whose do you recommend?

Matthew Parris in the Times is interesting today. He is saying what I thought, re May and Gove. DH thinks Govey is a duplicitous so and so; I cling to my belief that he actually wants to do the right thing, and not be PM himself, but not so sure about his wife, who may well want to be Mrs. PM. Not much chance of that, I think.

Good morning Coolers .... and a happy birthday to Canada and the US!

L, yes they are indeed frozen oven chips. We have been using frozen oven chips for years. We only use Mcains ... and we use French Fries which come out exactly like Macdonalds fries ie as though they had been fried and the standard Mcains which is in the pictrure. I must add that the airfryer makes all the difference otherwise I'd probably give up chips as we don't eat them often enough to keep the fryer out in the kitchen.

A thing about frozen fries is that the rest of the meal has to be timed around the fries not the other way round.

Jeff

sigh .. fries is trumps atm as the tv glitterati gloat and grumble over a very close election.

Leads to.. another bottle tgh ? or , will we move to Suisse? or Chile ?

The incumbent , chained by the neck to his financial success and his dulcet tones is neck and neck with a shifty dodgy leftist union hack…

aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh…………..

Democracy sucks when the voters are (your adjective..dumb? selfish? want it now? don't care as long as the trough is full….

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH………..

sigh .. fries is trumps atm as the tv glitterati gloat and grumble over a very close election.

Leads to.. another bottle tgh ? or , will we move to Suisse? or Chile ?

The incumbent , chained by the neck to his financial success and his dulcet tones is neck and neck with a shifty dodgy leftist union hack…

aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh…………..

Democracy sucks when the voters are (your adjective..dumb? selfish? want it now? don't care as long as the trough is full….

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH………..

tgh, I hope you haven't forogtten that my second cousin was GG (ZC) ... and was the only one as far as I know to fire a PM on behalf of The Queen.:)

I'm proud of him ...

Gosh these discussions go round in circles!:eek:

Jeff

EDITED

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38343658&postcount=65

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

So from our excellent UK experts, what are the latest projections, predictions, guesses, etc., about the next Prime Minister, how the UK vs. EU divorce will play out, etc.? Look forward to more great insights, comments and wisdom!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 199,888 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry,

The most likely outcome is that Theresa May will win.

As you will remember, I am a fan of Andrea Leadsom, and I hope that she at least would join a May government as Chancellor and a lead brexit role.

I am not amongst those that believe in the case of May that you need a brexiter. People often forget when thinking of these things one must think "out of the box", and not get confused with the idea that you should only support people you "like" but instead hope for the best person for the job. These can be people you don't particularly like. May would be very well received by the EU heads.

My hoped for scenarion is that May beocmes PM, and does not trigger article 50 until the EU calms down and agrees to have mutually satisfactory adult discussions and only trigger 50 when they are completed.

What has puzzled me because it seems so obvious, that I cannot understand why no politician has mentioned it, (so that means I have probably missed something obvious .....) is that we are still full EU members until we leave and we can veto anything the EU wishes to progress until it starts to engage with us properly and not act like petulant school yard bullies. We can if they continue as they now seem to, paralyse the EU and stop them making progress on anything, and I cannot see what could stop us.

What we need to do now is calm down, tell the EU that 50 will not be triggered until we are good and ready, and informal negotiations will take as long as they need in order to conclude them The EU are desperate to get us out of the way before the next clutch of EU referenda emerge and that is our trump card. It seems to me anyway!

So slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Jeff

Terry, The most likely outcome is that Theresa May will win. My hoped for scenarion is that May beocmes PM, and does not trigger article 50 until the EU calms down and agrees to have mutually satisfactory adult discussions and only trigger 50 when they are completed. Jeff

Appreciate this excellent and very smart summary from Jeff. Very helpful and interesting!! Makes sense. Look forward to other insights from UK observers/residents.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,281 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,

The most likely outcome is that Theresa May will win.

As you will remember, I am a fan of Andrea Leadsom, and I hope that she at least would join a May government as Chancellor and a lead brexit role.

I am not amongst those that believe in the case of May that you need a brexiter. People often forget when thinking of these things one must think "out of the box", and not get confused with the idea that you should only support people you "like" but instead hope for the best person for the job. These can be people you don't particularly like. May would be very well received by the EU heads.

My hoped for scenarion is that May beocmes PM, and does not trigger article 50 until the EU calms down and agrees to have mutually satisfactory adult discussions and only trigger 50 when they are completed.

What has puzzled me because it seems so obvious, that I cannot understand why no politician has mentioned it, (so that means I have probably missed something obvious .....) is that we are still full EU members until we leave and we can veto anything the EU wishes to progress until it starts to engage with us properly and not act like petulant school yard bullies. We can if they continue as they now seem to, paralyse the EU and stop them making progress on anything, and I cannot see what could stop us.

What we need to do now is calm down, tell the EU that 50 will not be triggered until we are good and ready, and informal negotiations will take as long as they need in order to conclude them The EU are desperate to get us out of the way before the next clutch of EU referenda emerge and that is our trump card. It seems to me anyway!

So slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Jeff

Pretty much my thoughts. They are acting like we HAVE invoked the treaty of Lisbon. Until that time, it should be business as usual...... but it isn't - and they are demonstrating the behavior that alienates people in the UK further and gives rise to the right wing within Europe. They are demonstrating they have no respect to democracy and behaving like fascists.

Can anybody explain why they have all continually stated no one can speak to anyone from the UK about Brexit (which in itself is a disgrace) but have had talks with Nicola Sturgeon over Brexit?

Han anybody explain why freedom of movement for residency is actually such a priority to these bureaucrats? Germany wants it because of its aging population - we already know this.... But why no respect to countries with no room left at the inn?

Someone I work with suggested to me that Europeans can come here and demand benefits, but we are not allowed to (and Spain and France were given as examples) claim unemployment benefit? If thats true how do they get away with it? Why cant we do the same?

Regarding Botswana that we visited in February, they have just had some unique and different "news" and attention. This African nation the size of France with only two million people, has become the world's largest producer of diamonds in value. Until this trip and the research/planning, I did not know that Botswana was such a large producer of high-quality diamonds.

From the London/UK Daily Mail two days ago, they have this headline: "Buyer offers world record £45million for 1,109-carat rough diamond, but the owner STILL won't sell" with these sub-headline details: "Biggest found for more than 100 years, roughly the size of a tennis ball, discovered in Botswana, largest rough diamond mined since 1905, failed to achieve £53million estimated price."

Here are more highlights from this story: "The three billion-year-old jewel was uncovered by Lucara Diamond Corp at its Karowe mine in Botswana in November last year and was described as a 'once in a lifetime discovery'. The diamond was auctioned at Sotheby's in London following a worldwide tour. But the gem failed to achieve the £52million estimate. It is a 'rough' diamond which means it will be cut and polished into a more refined gem. It is exceeded only by the 3016.75-carat Cullinan Diamond, which was mined in South Africa in 1905. The Cullinan was cut into nine diamonds which are now held in the Crown Jewels. Independent reports say the Lesedi la Rona has the potential to yield the largest top-quality diamond that has ever been cut and polished"

For caring husbands such as Jeff, this stone is still available for purchase . . . at the right price!! Just think of the airline frequent flyer miles that you could get by putting this "rock" on your credit card!

Anyone else, in addition to Jeff, interested in buying this unique diamond?

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3667696/Buyer-offers-world-record-45million-1-109-carat-rough-diamond-biggest-100-years-owner-won-t-sell.html

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 61,066 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Les,

you might be interested in listening to John Gray's Point Of View on BBC4. He is a philosopher and it's just 10 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qng8/episodes/player

Podcast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qng8/episodes/downloads

Jeff

Interesting article.

My personal views have now hardened into thinking we have done the right thing after hearing the comments from Hollande and Juncker. These are not people I want to be friendly with.

Counting resumes on tuesday and I have no idea which way it will go.

The coalition is arguably more likely to be able to do a deal with the independents than labour.

A very poor result for wishy washy malcolm in the middle ; his predecessor was a pugnacious and divisive campaigner who may have failed also , but at least he would have crashed or crashed through with panache .. :-)

It will be interesting to see what will happen this week.

After calling a double dissolution to rid himself of a Senate that had become hard to deal with and would not pass his bills, he has ended up with, I believe, a Senate that will make his job even more difficult. That is if he is able to form a Government.

Quite a few people believe we will be going back to the polls, if not this month, then by Christmas.

When he became leader of the Government, I think, even disaffected Labor voters were excited. He didn't live up to the ideals he had espoused- probably due to the very conservative members reigning him back.

This article is very good.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/turnbull-has-only-himself-to-blame-20160704-gpxwic.html

Lots in happening in the UK, Australia, the US, etc., with politics, government, etc. Won't get too detailed, but in today's New York Times, they have this headline: "Theresa May, the Steely, Steady Woman Who Might Lead Britain" with these highlights: "Conservative lawmakers began voting on Tuesday to winnow the five contenders to two whose names will go to party members for the final say. In the first ballot, Ms. May led with 165 votes; Andrea Leadsom was second with 66. Liam Fox received the fewest votes and was eliminated, and Stephen Crabb, who came in fourth, exited the race, lending his support to Ms. May."

This profile on her notes that she has a: "reputation for seriousness, hard work and avoiding the intrigue and treachery that has gripped her party. She is one of a growing number of women in traditionally male-dominated British politics rising to the upper echelon of leadership." This story also noted: "Ms. May’s tenacity has drawn parallels not only to Ms. Thatcher but also to another methodical woman in politics, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, a clergyman’s daughter, like Ms. May."

For Australia, here is the summary from CNN with this headline: "Australia in limbo as count resumes in cliffhanger election" and these highlights: "Australians still don't know who won their election, three days after a national vote returned a result too close to call. On Tuesday, election officials began the task of counting more than a million postal votes, according to the Australian Electoral Commission, including for a handful of crucial seats which may decide who forms the next national government."

Full stories at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/world/europe/theresa-may.html?ref=europe&_r=0

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/asia/australia-election/

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,137 views for this posting.

Hi Coolers,

We spent a very fun long weekend out in California with friends and family. Started with a few days in Sonoma doing wine tasting, then some time in San Francisco with my sister, aunt, and grandmother. Lovely mine vacation.

Now killing time at MSP waiting for some nasty storms to pass. We landed from SFO just before the heavy rain started. The Albany flight is already delayed over an hour and we aren't even close to the originally scheduled time.

Earliest we'll be back in Albany is 12:30 AM and that's if the current delay is accurate... The weather map is crazy. I've attached a thumbnail from my phone...so much red and orange!

Hopefully we'll get back before tomorrow.

1467764016166.jpg.e1300c68be7531a3591ebad1e7a12884.jpg

Hi JP,

Your weekend sounds fun. Was thinking of you and Chris this evening ..... in a nice way! We have a programme on the Uk at the moment about Albany Prison and it's interesting with the odd trip around Albany ... but I suspect not the best districts.

Terry, I know your interested in the is stuff, and I suspect that Der Spiegel isn't on your normal reading list but there are a couple of artciles I'll point you to.

This was written in Der Spiegel the week before brexit and provides some insight into the Juncker issue.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/eu-commission-president-juncker-under-fire-a-1098232.html

You might be interested in closer detail of the goings on in the EU from a German perspective immediately following the brexit result. There are two parts, with a link to the second part at the bottom of the page. As with the previous item I linked the comments by readers are as interesting as the article.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brexit-triggers-eu-power-struggle-between-merkel-and-juncker-a-1100852.html

...... and this is him after lunch ..... the man who genuinely believes that he is president of All EU states .....;)

Jeff

EDITED:

....and food ...

5A9A916E-6A6F-4ECD-BEC4-EAB25A38FE8F.jpg

5C858017-BEED-438B-8A4F-AEF898B72753.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry, I know your interested in the is stuff, and I suspect that Der Spiegel isn't on your normal reading list but there are a couple of artciles I'll point you to. This was written in Der Spiegel the week before brexit and provides some insight into the Juncker issue. You might be interested in closer detail of the goings on in the EU from a German perspective immediately following the brexit result. There are two parts, with a link to the second part at the bottom of the page. As with the previous item I linked the comments by readers are as interesting as the article.

Appreciate so much these three excellent, in-depth analysis pieces from Jeff in this German publication. They are very interesting and providing some important background that you do not often read in either US or UK publications.

My firm, educated guess is that about 99.99% of Americans would be unable to name and identify the role and/or name of Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker. Clearly he is in the "hot seat" now. He had the political skills to rise from being a politician in small and somewhat minor Luxembourg. But "running" and leading complex Europe, especially with Germany's powerful position, is far different and so much more challenging than what he did in Luxembourg. That small "country" has only 562,000 people, has an economy that is fairly narrowly focused and has used its tax haven role to become the second richest country in the world. Junker might, however, be "over his head" now in seeking to guide Europe through these very choppy, uncertain waters.

One key point in one of these media columns was that Germany's Merkel did not think the UK would vote for the exit and therefor had no "Plan B" ready when the negative vote actually happened.

From the other piece, I would this part most significant: "The more important question is how Europe will look 10 or 15 years from now -- the question as to whether the project of an 'ever closer union,' as optimistically formulated in the Treaty of Lisbon, will be continued. Or will Europe pivot back toward the nation-state, possibly even with the return of powers and competencies from Brussels to the governments of EU member states?"

The third item titled: "An Inside Look at the EU's Raging Power Struggle" also provide vital insights. This column notes that the German leader wants to be "giving Britain as much time as possible." More time is smart and good, but does not solve or fix the real problems of bad economics and demographics driving these difficult European problems.

THANKS for this sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,439 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

Thanks for the Links Jeff and for the US-centric comments Terry, interesting reading and a very deep and muddy pool.

Europe has a long history of division and conflict and little of unity , so one assumes that it's all going pear shaped sometime.

The world , of course, is economically on a knife edge with a catastrophic crash seemingly inevitable.

Has Brexit lit the fuse ?