Changing itinerary due to weather

Funkyfoco

In 2010 we were scheduled to do a western Caribbean but Hurricane Paula changed our itinerrary to an eastern on.We left Tampa and went to Key West. We were scheduled to leave Key West at 6 but we just sat there. We were to go to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel as well. At 8 we finally left Key West and headed east. The captain came on and told us what our new itinerary was going to be -- Grand Turk, Nassau and Half Moon Cay and then back to Tampa. The second part of our cruise was our regularlly scheduled eastern Cruise -- Key West, Grand Turk, St Thomas and Half moon Cay.

Just of a Celebrity B2B Amsterdam to Petersburg. The first port, Warnemunde ("Berlin") didn't allow us in because of high winds. Captain Emmanuel Alevropoulos got on the phone with the various ports to make sure the new itinerary would include all original ports, including Warnemunde. We got some extra (complimentary) shuttles and we tendered in Stockholm.

All done from the ship, during Q&A he told us he first arranged everything before calling Miami :) I think that situation was handled perfectly.

I am guessing that the cruise company would have plenty of "outs" in the contract covering them against claims for this. However, from a consumer point of view it would really suck to be short-changed on what may be a once in a lifetime trip, even if it was for valid safety reasons.

I am now going to re-read the terms and conditions of my travel insurance policy to see what that has to say on the subject.

I will offer generous odds on a wager that your travel insurance policy will pay zero because of weather-related itinerary changes.

I can't believe that nobody mentioned Hurricane Sandy...we were on a 10 day Princess NY to FLL. Brooklyn pier flooded and damaged, so anyone who could make it had to go to Manhattan, where the ship docked after spending 6 nights in Boston for a 4 day Bermuda. Missed San Juan. Sure was sad sailing past a dark Statue of Liberty. Our 10 day became 8

Edited by myfuzzy

We have missed a few Caribbean ports over the years.

A couple were places that we were supposed to Tender and the weather made it unsafe for that. One was St. Lucia which often one was docked at but too many ships in port. We ended up with a sea day.

Have missed other ports and mainly tender ports. One was Sochi Russia and we ended up just leaving and arriving to Istanbul, Turkey a day earlier than planned and had an extra overnight there.

Keith

We missed lovely Cadiz this May because of gales, and the following three ports were rearranged.

In late November, when it was likely that storms would cause us to miss some Atlantic ports, we had calm weather, so sailing from Casablanca to Malaga was going to take little time, and the shipping line arranged for us to reach Malaga the day before and spend an overnight there.

We were on a T/A -Rome to Fort Lauderdale in 2014 , and were looking forward to a couple of port calls in the Azores. We were re-routed via Madeira because of high seas further north. We were disappointed to miss the Azores, but enjoyed the warmer southern track.

There is no such thing as a sure thing -- especially at sea.

We missed NCL's private island once due to bad seas. Looked out our window and the tenders were bouncing up and down awfully. The ship headed to quieter seas so we enjoyed another sea day. I heard that this happens often at that stop.

Had been scheduled to take NCL Dawn years ago. So excited about the ports, excursions, etc...Researched and researched beforehand.

The morning we were supposed to drive to Miami to take the ship the next day, I awoke to see a notice on CC saying the Dawn was floating without power at sea!

No information available that morning so we headed to Miami anyway, about a 4.5 hour drive.

About 1/2 hour into the drive I received a phone call from NCL saying that the cruise was cancelled. We were disappointed and didn't want to return home.

I got on the phone trying to book another cruise, but nothing available. I finally arranged two, short B2B Bahamas cruises instead. Had a good time, but we had been to the Bahamas several times and not going to the originally intended ports was a bummer.

When we were at the terminal inbetween cruises, I met several people who had been on the Dawn, floating at sea. The stories were incredible with no a/c, toilets, sleeping on deck, etc. Made me realize that we were lucky that we hadn't been on the Dawn that week!

We did cruise on the Dawn years afterward and had an excellent time!