How do I make embarkation as quick & painless as possible

deebaxster

For starters we are a party of 8, NCL newbies and won't be experiencing the "suite life" this cruise!

We depart from the port of LA.

Itinerary states we sail at 4pm and all passengers must be on board two hours before that. How early can we board?

Any tips, tricks, hints to avoid hassle and lines? What is your approach to embarkation day?

Thanks!

For starters we are a party of 8, NCL newbies and won't be experiencing the "suite life" this cruise!

We depart from the port of LA.

Itinerary states we sail at 4pm and all passengers must be on board two hours before that. How early can we board?

Any tips, tricks, hints to avoid hassle and lines? What is your approach to embarkation day?

Thanks!

Embarkation isn't usually difficult unless you have young kids in your group (or others who need a lot of assistance). It's pretty straightforward, give your big suitcases to the porters (remember to tip), walk in the terminal and check in, and wait until your turn to board. As mentioned, I would plan to get to the terminal shortly before 11.

Once onboard, the crew generally tries to direct you to the lido buffet. Instead head to the main dining room which I believe is open on most ships. Far more relaxing table service. Get your cruise started right! Once lunch is over your room will probably be ready. Go check it out and then explore the ship until the safety drill.

Instead head to the main dining room which I believe is open on most ships.

One MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day (and on sea days) on all NCL ships.

Edited by Demonyte

The process involves some waiting, so itis good to have something to read or, for children, some electronic game or activity to help pass the time. There is no point in getting to the terminal too early - probably about 10:30 to 11:00 AM is optimal, to give you time to enjoy lunch on board.

We give most of our stuff to the porter and then tip $1 per bag. We only carryon valuables and medications - the least we possibly can carryon. We dress in comfortable clothes and shoes (no heels!) because we know we'll be standing in line for a while if we are not in a suite. Also, we don't wear anything that would set off the metal detector as we go through security. So no change in pockets or anything like that. Planning ahead about what to wear makes it much easier and faster to clear security.

We were in LA in May and I think got to the pier around 11am. We had no line for check-in, but then had a wait in the seating area to board.

I think the best advice is to set the expectation right away with your entire party that there will be a wait. Also, when they do call your number, others with that number will jump up and try to run ahead. Let them. You all will get on the ship and you can set the tone by deciding ahead of time not to be pissy with the rude people that are sometimes encountered.

Just have the right attitude, know that there will be a wait and know that you WILL get on the ship so there is no reason to push or get caught up in a race.

And have a great time.

All of the above sounds right. We like to arrive at the port terminal at 10:30. Checking in has usually just begun. Lines are short and the process moves fast. Get a boarding group number and then sit and people watch. Actual boarding usually begins around 11:30, plus or minus. You'll be in the early groups boarding, way ahead of any crowd if you want to turn everyone loose in the buffet. We like to sit out on the pool deck and snack from the grill that is open there (weather permitting). The big crowds start flowing on around noon and later. Rooms available around 1:30 usually.

Get everyone to have their paperwork ready and in hand.

That will be one of the first requests of the NCL reps after dropping off your luggage and finding the area you will board the ship from. You will need passports/birth certificates/visas/whatever the approved id is in hand along with your cruise ticket. They will repeat this and check several times before you head to the line for your security check.

Enjoy your cruise!

Join your sailing's Roll Call here & read some of the most recent review for Insider's Tips (for San Pedro's pier) as procedures are sometimes different & unique, based on the setup of local port authorities & CBP, beyond the direct jurisdiction of the cruiseline. Also, check the port schedule to see if there's another ship docking on the same day (most likely, not ... but)

I believed they still board pax in groups by zones, in arrival orders and hand out numbered boarding cards, and if folks have Latitude status, check with those working by the entrance/security to get into those exclusive lines (which can sometimes be even longer, LOL) - and, start reading the Freestyle Dailies while waiting in the terminal.

Have a pen ready (to fill out & sign the "short" health Q's) along with your ID/passports/BC & boarding pass, and credit card - as you approach the next available check-in agent inside the pier's terminal. Travel light - checked those big & heavy rollers and spinners with the pier porters, and, board with a lighter carry-on of essentials, valuables & medications, etc. (swim suits & a change of weather-appropriate clothing) ... ours all fit into a mid-sized backpack. I smiled :D watching folks struggled with their 20 kg / 40 lbs. + suitcase packed full, pulling them up the long gangways - along with their oversized tote bag ... trying to save a few dollars away from the porter.

Any tips, tricks, hints to avoid hassle and lines? What is your approach to embarkation day? Thanks!

Begin by pulling out all of the clothes/shoes you think you'll need to pack and then put half of them back in the closet. You'll be much happier in the end.

On embarkation day, before you get to the pier, set your mind that you are ON VACATION and you will flow like water to those points of least resistance! You will not allow others to spoil your zen.

Use the luggage tags you were sent from NCL or download them and apply one to each bag you will be dropping off curbside at the pier. TIP the baggage handler. NOTE: If you want to enjoy the pool before your rooms are ready (generally about 1:30 PM), wear your swimsuit under your clothes or bring it in a small carry on bag. No need to bring towels.

Keep your entire party of 8 together. Read and follow the signs telling you which queue to join. Pass through the security area just as you would in an airport (you need photo ID and boarding docs). Remember that you are on vacation. Relax. People watch while moving forward, albeit slowly at times.

Have some ink pens ready as you will need to complete one "health" form per passenger and have that ready before it's your turn at the registration desk.

Hand your boarding docs, photo IDs/passports and health forms to the registration agent. S/he will need to take a photo of each person checking in, so fix your hair while waiting your turn!

S/he will hand you your room keys / ID cards and point you to your "holding" area. I REMOVE MY EXPENSIVE/DELICATE JEWELRY from my fingers and stow it safely in my carry on or pocket (you'll see why in a minute). Have a seat, relax, remember that you are like water, flowing to the path of least resistance, you are on vacation...

When your group is called to board the ship, collect all of your carry on bags and your children and follow directions to get up the ramp and onboard. At the top of the ramp, you will be greeted by the Happy Happy Washy Washy team who will spray your hands with sanitizer (hence, the jewelry removal).

Hand your key cards to the security person manning the computer. S/he will scan your card, compare your photo (remember straightening your hair earlier?) with your face and return your card to you.

When your entire party has cleared onboard security, they will attempt to herd you toward the buffet. You may choose, instead, to head to the pool area or to the main dining room for a less chaotic atmosphere and a better chance of seating your entire party together. NOTE: If you want to use the buffet instead (faster, more choice), get your meals and look for the LaCucina area which adjoins the buffet on most ships. Overflow seating for the buffet is here and it is much quieter than the cacophony of the buffet.

After lunch, explore the ship. NOTE: STAY OUT OF THE CABIN AREAS until the announcement is made that your room is ready. Remember that you are on vacation and soon, very soon, your ship will be underway and you'll feel that lovely ocean breeze against your face as you smell the salt water.

When your cabin is ready, go check it out! Be prepared for long waits at the elevators. Use the stairs if you are able (they afford you an optimal way to avoid the cranky crabby people who think they deserve to ride on THAT elevator even if the weight alarm is sounding and the door won't close).

If your luggage has already arrived, you are among the lucky few. Do not panic. In all likelihood, it will be there before time for dinner. If it's getting late and you still don't have it, ask your room steward whom you will have undoubtedly met at this point. Store your unpacked suitcases underneath the bed.

RELAX, ENJOY, EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY!

Remember as you prepare to leave the ship on your final day what a tremendous role your steward and the wait staff played to make your vacation AWESOME. Find them the night before disembarkation and reward them with an extra "thank you" in whatever form and to whatever extent you deem appropriate.

You'll need to place your packed bags outside your room the night before disembarkation. Don't forget to keep clothes, shoes, toiletries and medication out... you'll need to put those in your carry on bag the final morning.

Remember to empty the room safe and check underneath the bed for any stray socks before you walk out the door for the final time. Again, be water, flow to the path of least resistance. The queues to disembark are far worse than the ones to board.

HAVE A FABULOUS VACATION and be sure to post a review online so we know what you most enjoyed and what you'd do differently next time!

:D :D :D

@Ozzie's Mom, love your play by play on embarkation! I just joined the site as hubby and I have just booked our very first cruise for January and I could practically envision all this by your description! So helpful for a newbie!!! We'll be leaving Miami for Cozumel aboard the Norwegian Pearl. It's a charted cruise with the Impractical Jokers. Love the show, these guys are hilarious, and thought what better way to do our first cruise.

Thanks for the great info!

You have already paid for porter service as part of your cruise fare and should not feel obligated to tip, despite what nearly everyone who mentioned the porters in this thread has said.

The correct answer is what many folks have alluded to; just have your paperwork and IDs together and ready, and then relax and go with the flow. They get thousands of people on and off the ship regularly and have a clear process; just follow instructions, don't get antsy, and relax and enjoy your trip.

@Ozzie's Mom, love your play by play on embarkation! I just joined the site as hubby and I have just booked our very first cruise for January and I could practically envision all this by your description! So helpful for a newbie!!! We'll be leaving Miami for Cozumel aboard the Norwegian Pearl. It's a charted cruise with the Impractical Jokers. Love the show, these guys are hilarious, and thought what better way to do our first cruise.

Thanks for the great info!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I highly recommend you go to the CRUISE CRITIC STORE http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/ and buy CC lanyards. They're a great place to keep your key card. We recognize CC folks around the ships (and they, us) by the CC lanyards. We decorate ours with the ships pins we've collected (we add a new one each cruise). :D

Thank you Ozzie's Mom!

I did the whole thing twice (yeah I'm still a newbie) and your post summarises everything perfectly.

It deserves a place an NCL's FAQ (and they should throw in some OBC for you imo).

Really helpful post!

Edit: sorry for getting the name wrong :)

Edited by kalesco

Thank you Ozzie's Mom!

I did the whole thing twice (yeah I'm still a newbie) and your post summarises everything perfectly.

It deserves a place an NCL's FAQ (and they should throw in some OBC for you imo). Really helpful post! :)

HEY! I'm for that! Woo hoo!

No probs on the mum v. mom. I speak all versions of English!

O.M.

I have never sailed from LA but when i sailed out of Miami in Feb the waiting area was like a meat locker is was so cold. We got there really early because we had just disembarked from another ship so we waited for over an hour and we froze!

From now on, I will have a light sweater in my carryon.

Lois

The easiest way with no waiting is to come and check in about 3-3:30 pm. You'll be one of very few people waiting for a check in clerk and once you're done with that you can board the ship and go to your cabin directly! Easy peasy, no stress and no crowds.

I see that some cruisers advise you to get to the port at 3 to 3:30. PLEASE, check and recheck the time your ship leaves the dock and get there way in advance. Some ships are now leaving at 3 PM and you must be there in advance to do check in etc.

Listen to Ozzie's mom........perfect she is to so right. Its vacation not a competition. They will not run out of food or liquor.

The only other advice I would add is to pack sunscreen in your carry on.

We eat and then change and hit the pools/waterslides. Most people are wondering the ship checking it out. We do that later, after dinner. I also feel no need to run to my room the minute they announce that you can. Here is a hint its small. We head to our rooms around 3:00 to get changed and get ready for muster.

After Muster the ship is the most packed it will ever be. Unless you like crowds sit back relax for 15 minutes then head out to get ready for dinner. Avoid the elevators for the first 15 minutes after muster.

I hate crowds myself so I try and Zig when everyone Zags.