NCL Pearl or Jewel in Alaska?

BeingMe

I have family that just did the Alaska cruise on the Jewel and loved it. I was planning on doing the same till I saw that the Pearl has a slightly different itenerary. The Pearl has only one at sea day and one day sailing around Glacier Bay, where the Jewel has 2 at sea days.

The Pearl's itenerary is:

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Sun Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea --- ---

Tue Juneau, Alaska 2:00 pm 10:00 pm

Wed Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:15 pm

Thu Cruise Glacier Bay --- ---

Fri Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 am 1:30 pm

Sat Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 pm 11:59 pm

Sun Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

The Jewel's is :

Sat Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:30 pm

Cruise past Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Wed Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:30 pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Victoria, British Columbia 2:30 pm 9:30 pm

Sat Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

Which is better, and is AFT balcony to rough?

Edited by BeingMe

I have family that just did the Alaska cruise on the Jewel and loved it. I was planning on doing the same till I saw that the Pearl has a slightly different itenerary. The Pearl has only one at sea day and one day sailing around Glacier Bay, where the Jewel has 2 at sea days.

Mon At Sea --- ---

The Jewel's is :

Sun At Sea --- ---

Thu At Sea --- ---

AFt Balcony is awesome. I did the Alaska one on the Jewel this past April for 28 days it was outstanding. I suggest you do the one with the Glacier bay park if you want to experience real beauty. It was the best day, i loved it. I now tell people if they do the Alaska run but it does not include the Glacier bay park then don't do it but is up to you. I hope you have fun.

These are sister ships, so they are pretty much the same with some slight decor and feature changes. The Jewel debuted in 2005 refurbished 2010 and was the first of the Jewel class ships. The Pearl debuted in 2006 and was the third Jewel class ship.

What you should know in selecting a cabin for any Alaska cruise is that the waters going up or coming back down to Seattle or Vancouver can be incredibly rough. I've encountered this twice going up to Alaska, where pretty much the entire passenger population on the ship and many crew members were terribly seasick and they had the barf bags all over the railings and a seasick table in the atrium for those who didn't plan ahead. However, we were fine since we booked a midship cabin and had trans derm scops on (got prescription from our doctor.) Since we were among the few who were not seasick, we had a lot of fun watching the water slosh out of the pool like a geyser and just walking around the ship. At dinner on the first two nights, we'd be among only a handful of tables that had anyone seated at them. Of course, most of the entertainment had to be cancelled as it was to dangerous to perform on those nights. The parts of the ship that will get the most motion are, of course, the front and back. Sometimes there is no problem with rough water, other times, there is. I can tell you that these nights are among my most fond cruise memories ever so I would never hesitate to go back. It was almost as though we had the entire ship to ourselves. Take that for what it's worth and plan accordingly.

Here's a nice photo tour of Pearl which has the first bowling alley at sea:

https://photobyjohnbo.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/the-norwegian-pearl-our-home-for-a-fortnight/

Here's a photo tour of the Jewel:

http://www.beyondships.com/NCLJewel-Tour.html

For either of these ships, make all your specialty dining reservations (if desired) prior to boarding via the NCL website to get the times and dates you want. The all inclusive packages have caused these venues to be constantly full.

Of the two ships, I'd pick the Pearl's itinerary because of Glacier Bay - that is just the most amazing day on a cruise ship ever!

If you do the Jewel - be sure to check out the glacier excursion out of Juneau that heads out ahead of the ship to explore tracey arm and sawyer glacier up close. The excursion meets up with the ship, but you'll get an amazing up close experience that the ship can't provide.

IMO you can't go 'wrong' with either of those ships or itineraries - beauties all around.

I'm partial to Pearl, though haven't sailed Jewel. Pearl's staff is really incredible, IMHO, and the Glacier Bay itinerary is excellent.

Also, the cruise between port calls at Ketchikan and Victoria is really almost like having 2 additional sea days--you leave Ketchikan at 1:00 pm and don't get into Victoria until > 24 hours later, around 5:00 pm the next day.

Based on that itinerary, the Jewel is not going to Glacier Bay but going past the Sawyer Glacier instead. I can say that Glacier Bay is fantastic. If you want to watch a glacier calve, then the Pearl itinerary is the one for you.

We had only one evening with some roll. Being along the longitudinal axis of the ship will reduce that; so an center aft balcony would be best.

Based on that itinerary, the Jewel is not going to Glacier Bay but going past the Sawyer Glacier instead. I can say that Glacier Bay is fantastic. If you want to watch a glacier calve, then the Pearl itinerary is the one for you.

We had only one evening with some roll. Being along the longitudinal axis of the ship will reduce that; so an center aft balcony would be best.

Have you even been to Tracy Arm? the south Sawyer glacier is very active with a lot more calving than any of the 4 glaciers seen in Glacier Bay.

However, the add on ship contracted Tracy Arm tour is necessary.

Edited by Budget Queen

We just got back from Alaska on the Pearl. You can check out my review below (see signature) and check out the pictures from our ports. I am very happy we did Glacier Bay. It made the cruise that much more wonderful.

I suffer from motion sickness and we had a balcony cabin on the 10th deck. I felt movement one night, but as long as we were in the inside passage, I was fine and didn't feel a thing.

For the inside passage on the Pearl is it better to book a port or starboard mid-balcony cabin? We're planning to go next July/August and will be booking in a matter of days. Thanks.

Doesn't matter--there is scenery on both sides, the ship turns circles in Glacier Bay, and the whales don't announce their preference in advance. ;)

Mon At Sea --- ---

The Jewel's is :

Sun At Sea --- ---

Thu At Sea --- ---

If you're only going to do one Alaska cruise, then IMO you have to go on the Pearl through Glacier Bay.

This National Park is stunningly beautiful, and that's saying a lot in a place that's one long parade of beautiful scenery. The peace and quiet, the chance to see several glaciers, and get up reasonably close to one, all without leaving the ship - you can't beat that.

As you can see, we have done the trip several times, and each time I can say it's been different. Sometimes beautiful weather, sometimes not. Sometimes lots of wildlife, sometimes not. But that's the nature of the cruise.

Yes, the sea can be rough after you leave the Strait and before you reach the Inside Passage. But on my 3 trips, it's only ever been really rough one time. Most of the time there is definite, but gentle movement on board during this part of the cruise. DW is prone to motion sickness, and she has only been bothered by the rough seas that one time. Over-the-counter motion sickness pills takes care of it.

We have done the trip 3 times in forward facing balcony cabins (my favorite) and once in an aft facing balcony. Both provide great views, but the aft balcony has the advantage of being less windy, and therefore less chilly.

The only real advantage to the Jewel itinerary is that you get to Victoria at a more "user friendly" time. But I wouldn't use that as a reason to pick the itinerary.

Edited by VideoTech

The only real advantage to the Jewel itinerary is that you get to Victoria at a more "user friendly" time. But I wouldn't use that as a reason to pick the itinerary.

I would. It all depends on what you want to see and how/when you want to cruise. A long daytime stop in Victoria is a deal breaker for me, especially on my first (and maybe only) cruise to Alaska.

The itinerary of the NCL Pearl 2016 opener (Vancouver to Seattle) has it all, if a 10 day open jaw cruise in May is acceptable to the OP: good long port times-meaning nobody has to get up at the crack of dawn if s/he doesn't want to, Inside Passage, Sitka, Glacier Bay, Victoria during the day.

Edited by buckirj1

For the inside passage on the Pearl is it better to book a port or starboard mid-balcony cabin? We're planning to go next July/August and will be booking in a matter of days. Thanks.

It doesn't matter- unless- you ONLY want your Glacier Bay, glacier viewing from your cabin. Then you would want a port side cabin so that the commentary and viewing line up. Port side, also, many times has a longer viewing time compared to starboard.

I thought the starboard side had better views (looking toward the dock/city) while in port. Also, if you like looking toward land, then I think starboard is better because you will get nicer views while approaching Juneau, etc. JMO.