Cabin safe's -- big enough for a camera bag?

dkmarionaz

I'm waffling on whether or not to bring my good camera on our upcoming trip on the Miracle; are the cabin safe's big enough to hold a decently sized camera bag?

We always bring our DSLR on our cruises. When it's not in use, it sits in its bag on the couch. In 20 cruises, we've never had a problem.

It really just depends on the type and size of the camera. Honestly though, I would just bring the camera. I have never used the safe on my cruise and I have never worried about my electronics when they were left in my room. We have cruised with anything from an iPad to an expensive camera, cash, passports, etc. We just make sure our cabin is locked behind us.

I do understand wanting to put it in the safe, but I wouldn't not bring it just because it doesn't fit.

I'm waffling on whether or not to bring my good camera on our upcoming trip on the Miracle; are the cabin safe's big enough to hold a decently sized camera bag?

If you want your pictures of a lifetime, bring it and use it. My favorite pictures came from using my long range lens. I use my pocket one for nearby pictures. I've not had cabin theft, but I indeed hoped it was there when I came back to the cabin. I'm simply not the trusting person I used to be. Remember to change the memory cards daily in case you misplace the camera. You can replace the camera, but not the treasured photos.

This sounds like overkill but we lock items too large for the safe in our luggage under the bed.....then we have a bike lock/cable lock that we run thru the handle of the luggage and around a leg of the metal frame on the bed.

This is great for ports but there really is nowhere in the cabin to attach the chain on the bag.

dkmarionaz is asking about keeping the camera secure in the safe.

The bed frames are metal and it is totally possible to chain it to the frame and tuck it under the bed. We have done this before with a cable lock on our luggage.

Thanks everyone -- I think I'll bring it and will pick up a few memory cards just to be sure. Thanks so much!

May I also suggest starting a card by taking a picture of the daily schedule. Before I started this, and if I didn't get to sorting out my developed pictures, some of the tropic islands began to all look alike. Also my glacier pics ran together.

This sounds like overkill but we lock items too large for the safe in our luggage under the bed.....then we have a bike lock/cable lock that we run thru the handle of the luggage and around a leg of the metal frame on the bed.

Couldn't someone with nefarious intentions just unzip the luggage to remove items?

The bed frames are metal and it is totally possible to chain it to the frame and tuck it under the bed. We have done this before with a cable lock on our luggage.

I hadn't considered the metal frame. Thanks.

Honestly, though, isn't this overkill? We've never had a single issue with belongings in 20 cruises. On the rare occasions that we bring a laptop, like spending a few days in port pre-cruise, we just keep it in the closet so it doesn't take up space. The DSLR and waterproof cameras live in their cases on the couch. Our Kindles and iPods sit on the counter.

May I also suggest starting a card by taking a picture of the daily schedule. Before I started this, and if I didn't get to sorting out my developed pictures, some of the tropic islands began to all look alike. Also my glacier pics ran together.

That's a great idea! We're at the point that one Caribbean island looks like another.

One more piece of advice-I type out a paper with the words, "Reward if found. Please call ###-#### and ship name/dates" and take a picture of it on all SD cards. I use our sons' phone numbers since we are incommunicado while on the cruises.