Dawn vs Jade: the suite life questions

wndmom

I am trying to decide whether to book the Deluxe Owners Suite without balcony on Dawn or the 2 bedroom family suite on the Jade. The price is virtually the same. New Orleans is a couple of hours closer drive. I am leaning towards the Dawn for the reasons below...

DOS

We don't care about a balcony, and the view from the floor to ceiling windows looks amazing. The (unlimited?) sodas would be a great perk for the kids, and I think we could get by without a soda plan purchase, assuming they could take the sodas to meals if they wanted.

Haven Family Suite

The living area looks nice but not as big as the DOS. We like to play family games on our cruises. I don't know if this would be as much space as the DOS.

The color scheme is a little off putting. Is it as bright as the pictures make it seem?

Since the Dawn does not have a Haven area, do all suites have their meals in Cagneys? Is there any lounge area for Dawn ( or Jade ) suites to order drinks? We also like to find places with a view to read/play cards/drink. Which of these ships have better public areas? Is trivia basically the same on both?

If anyone has other pros or cons, please fill me in.

Edited by wndmom

You might read Mitsugirly's Dawn Review. The ship sounds like it is in dire need of a dry dock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726&highlight=dawn

As far as Jade goes, it is a beautiful ship, but yes, the colors are quite vibrant. It was meant to sail Hawaii, so it has intense tropical colors. The Grand Pacific Dining Room is stunning. The Haven on that ship is a very special experience, Cagneys for suite guest breakfast and lunch is fantastic, service is great. My favorite restaurants onboard are Le Bistro - one of the prettiest in the fleet, and Cagney's. I would definitely choose Jade over the Dawn but you should decide for yourself.

You might read Mitsugirly's Dawn Review. The ship sounds like it is in dire need of a dry dock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726&highlight=dawn

As far as Jade goes, it is a beautiful ship, but yes, the colors are quite vibrant. It was meant to sail Hawaii, so it has intense tropical colors. The Grand Pacific Dining Room is stunning. The Haven on that ship is a very special experience, Cagneys for suite guest breakfast and lunch is fantastic, service is great. My favorite restaurants onboard are Le Bistro - one of the prettiest in the fleet, and Cagney's. I would definitely choose Jade over the Dawn but you should decide for yourself.

Thank you. You've helped me a lot.

FYI if you hadn't already figured it out but the Dawn and Star have two types of DOS. The inner two have a separate bedroom and sleep 6 and the outer two DOS sleep four with two of those in the living room on the couch. The inner DOS also has two bathrooms.

Also, the Jade has two types of 2 bedroom family suites. The one starting with an "H" would have Haven access, the other one doesn't.

FYI if you hadn't already figured it out but the Dawn and Star have two types of DOS. The inner two have a separate bedroom and sleep 6 and the outer two DOS sleep four with two of those in the living room on the couch. The inner DOS also has two bathrooms.

Also, the Jade has two types of 2 bedroom family suites. The one starting with an "H" would have Haven access, the other one doesn't.

I am looking at the DOS that sleep 6 on the Dawn. For the Jade, I have priced the Haven. They are comparable in price.

The Dawn is far from being in dire need of anything. She's a beautiful ship and in very good shape.

We have been in Dawn's DOS twice in a row with two more booked. The wall of windows and forward view are amazing. It is a very short walk to open space if needed.

Yes, Dawn has a specialty dining area for suites for both breakfast and lunch.

The two innermost DOS's are excellent for families. Good luck.

New Orleans before and after the cruise are exceptional too!!! And the cruise down the Mississippi is pretty special also.

The Dawn is far from being in dire need of anything. She's a beautiful ship and in very good shape.

We have been in Dawn's DOS twice in a row with two more booked. The wall of windows and forward view are amazing. It is a very short walk to open space if needed.

Yes, Dawn has a specialty dining area for suites for both breakfast and lunch.

The two innermost DOS's are excellent for families. Good luck.

New Orleans before and after the cruise are exceptional too!!! And the cruise down the Mississippi is pretty special also.

She looks good in the pictures I saw, and the DOS looks amazing! We are driving from Arkansas so NO is a better port for us. The Houston date might be better though. Decisions, decisions.