7am Port to LAX for 11:30am flight enough time?

NoLifeDGenerate

I've got a cruise booking on hold for today trying to sort this airfare nonsense. The only nonstop flights I can get coming back are 11:30am or 10:30PM(!). Ruby Princess gets in at 7am (port of San Pedro?). Is that enough time if I carry my luggage off and try to catch the first shuttle/van to LAX? Edited by NoLifeDGenerate

Yes, assuming no delay in arriving at the port or problems with immigration. If you're the only ship in port, you should be fine with immigration, but if there's more than one, you may have a delay because the CBP officers will be spread thin.

I would take a cab or pre-reserve a private car, though, and not wait for a van to fill up. Edited by critterchick

[quote name='NoLifeDGenerate']I've got a cruise booking on hold for today trying to sort this airfare nonsense. The only nonstop flights I can get coming back are 11:30am or 10:30PM(!). Ruby Princess gets in at 7am (port of San Pedro?). Is that enough time if I carry my luggage off and try to catch the first shuttle/van to LAX?[/QUOTE]

"Probably"
What day of the week? Traffic will likely be tougher if Mon-Fri...
LAX is only a 20 mile drive, mostly on Freeway...On a weekend day, this should take about 30 minutes...BUT, you never know about traffic in LA...There could always be an accident, construction or some other thing that could slow it down...

Even so, that is not the biggest factor. Biggest factor is just getting off the ship. However, last two times we disembarked Princess in LA, it was fairly quick...not the kind of lines one finds at Carnival over in Long Beach...But, again, you never know...Sometimes, Customs can be a little nuts...

I usually use Noon as a rule for San Pedro to LAX...BUT...If you are rolling off your own luggage and get off early, you really should not have a problem...Even if you rolled off at 9:00 am (and you should be able to get off, in the worst case, before that), you'd likely be at LAX before 10:00 am...and, even though they usually recommend two hours before your flight, in MY experience, an hour and a half should be plenty to get through security and to your gate...If you can check in by internet, all the better...

Were it ME...and the choice was 11:30 am or 10:30 pm, I would take my chances with that morning flight...

[quote name='Bruin Steve']"Probably"
What day of the week? Traffic will likely be tougher if Mon-Fri...
LAX is only a 20 mile drive, mostly on Freeway...On a weekend day, this should take about 30 minutes...BUT, you never know about traffic in LA...There could always be an accident, construction or some other thing that could slow it down...
[/QUOTE]

Sunday, 11/1.

[quote name='NoLifeDGenerate']Sunday, 11/1.[/quote]

Sunday should be fine with traffic - unless there is an accident. A common comment on these boards from locals because accidents are the killer. Last week it took me 45 minutes to go 4 miles and that was cheating by getting on and off the freeway. As long as you don't have immigration (you aren't on a TA are you) you should be fine as BruinSteve pointed out.

It's a matter if Murphy's Law bites you. Even on weekends, the 405 which goes up to LAX can get jammed if there's construction, an accident, rain (we Angelenos are notorious for being poor drivers in bad weather). And this fall is predicted to be the start of a very rainy (which we want) season.

That 7am docking time is what is expected, but there are ways the ship could dock late. Then there's immigration and customs. Sometimes it goes smoothly. Sometimes not (and it might or might not correlate with how many ships will be in port with you). A few cruises ago in San Pedro, the disembarkation process started almost an hour late. Not a problem for us as we weren't going to catch a flight, but go home an hour's drive away.

I would say you "might" be OK.

I use the word might because you never know when arriving to this port.

The positive is that it is Sunday so traffic should be light.

But, and there is a big but I have arrived to this port and seen some things go badly. One time there the union workers had a work shutdown and it delayed removal of the luggage by around 90 minutes. Another time there was insufficient immigration officials delaying disembarkation.

If you don't get stressed then the time of the flight might be fine for you. If you get stressed and will spend half the cruise worrying I would get a later flight or stay over and fly the next day.

If it was me, I would book a flight of 12:30 PM or later.

But I don't like stress.

History means nothing here. It comes down to what happens that day and none of us can guarantee to you what it will be like.

Keith

Our cruise this Oct ends at in FLL, not San Pedro true, however due to the flight times back to Calif which would have gotten us back home around 10 or 10:30 PM, we opted to spend 1 night and get a 7 AM flight back to Calif and arrive at 11:30 AM. If you don't need to rush home this is an option to consider. Not knowing where home is for you.