Majesty of the Seas - Aug 28th Delayed Boarding

Just received this email from RCL:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on Friday, August 28, onboard Majesty of the Seas. The ship is scheduled to have important maintenance performed on its water system. Because the cruise terminal at the Port of Miami is very limited in space, boarding will take place between 4 p.m. to 6.p.m. We ask that you NOT arrive at the port for boarding before 4:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Has anyone had delayed boarding before? How has it affected your trip?

Just received this email from RCL:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on Friday, August 28, onboard Majesty of the Seas. The ship is scheduled to have important maintenance performed on its water system. Because the cruise terminal at the Port of Miami is very limited in space, boarding will take place between 4 p.m. to 6.p.m. We ask that you NOT arrive at the port for boarding before 4:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Has anyone had delayed boarding before? How has it affected your trip?

There is a standard message Royal sends out to get people to board later, this doesn't appear to be that message as it addresses a specific issue. I only mention that in case someone says ignore it, go when you want. But I might wait on this one. If your staying locally, you might to ask about a late checkout.

I did have a 1 hour delay boarding at that terminal, but it was a personnel related issue, not mechanical and it wasn't the most comfortable hour at that terminal but bearable. I think I might still be tempted to show up at 3 as they tend to over estimate times.

Edited by BillOh

Thanks, I hadn't thought about requesting late check out but, I am going to do that now.

I just got off the phone with RCL and they said nothing is set in stone yet but once we board there would be a letter in the stateroom addressing how they plan to compensate cruisers. The agent on the phone said her's was delayed once and they were offered 75 dollars onboard credit but, it all depends on what RCL decides to do so, I guess the delayed boarding is set in stone and now we just wait to see if Royal makes it right because missing almost a whole day on a 3 day cruise is a bit of a downer but, I plan to make the best of it with my family.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about requesting late check out but, I am going to do that now.

I just got off the phone with RCL and they said nothing is set in stone yet but once we board there would be a letter in the stateroom addressing how they plan to compensate cruisers. The agent on the phone said her's was delayed once and they were offered 75 dollars onboard credit but, it all depends on what RCL decides to do so, I guess the delayed boarding is set in stone and now we just wait to see if Royal makes it right because missing almost a whole day on a 3 day cruise is a bit of a downer but, I plan to make the best of it with my family.

Thanks for this info. Did they say what time the ship would leave port? I am wondering what it will do to the dinner times if boarding goes to 6pm, they have to do a muster drill and first dinner is at 6:30.

They basically said everything will be pushed back. They don't have a verified time yet for sail away but that the dining times would be pushed back to reflect the 6pm ending of boarding and the muster drill. So lets say first seating would no longer be 615 but would end up being after 7 and 2nd seating pushed back until after first was finished and they had time to set up again for 2nd, thats the way it was explained to me. But they currently aren't showing any itinerary changes but, with the weather and now this she said to keep an eye out because it may be coming.

They basically said everything will be pushed back. They don't have a verified time yet for sail away but that the dining times would be pushed back to reflect the 6pm ending of boarding and the muster drill. So lets say first seating would no longer be 615 but would end up being after 7 and 2nd seating pushed back until after first was finished and they had time to set up again for 2nd, thats the way it was explained to me. But they currently aren't showing any itinerary changes but, with the weather and now this she said to keep an eye out because it may be coming.

Can you spend the day at the pool and eat lunch there, or go for lunch at possibly Bayside, etc. before you board? Just an idea. I bet they will change the itinerary eventually.

I would not want to be working in that dining room that first night! (I have some old friends who used to work on Majesty for many years, so that's why I am thinking that way...) Love that ship, hope you have a blast!

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

What form of on board credit would they offer for this delay?

This is a maintenance issue .. which IS something within their control .. so surely some OBC is in order here considering these pax are missing a pretty big chunk of their short cruise.

What form of on board credit would they offer for this delay?

This is a maintenance issue .. which IS something within their control .. so surely some OBC is in order here considering these pax are missing a pretty big chunk of their short cruise.

I would not be surprised to see something like $50 per stateroom, maybe more for suites.

That's a bummer ... especially on a short cruise. Bayside is a great idea, but luggage is the issue. You'd have to leave that at the hotel and then go back there before leaving for the ship. Terribly inconvenient.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Sounds like you have an upbeat attitude and will make the best of it.

I just looked at the latest track for Erika. Wow, definitely going to be an interesting turnaround weekend for all ships in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

One thing I can tell you is that if you do go to the Bahamas the delay won't affect getting there on time. We were once a couple of hours out and had to turn around for a medical emergency and we still made it to Bahamas on time. She can book it when she needs to :)

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older post but I'm wondering if the OP received any compensation for the delay. We are leaving tomorrow on Majesty of the Seas and received the same message but we are told that boarding will be from 6 to 8, so even later then the OP.

We were on that sailing and we received a $25 OBC per person for the delay (they said it was to compensate lunch). They had buses to take people to a shopping and food plaza that afternoon (we did not do that, we just waited in the terminal, but heard from others that they had a hard time getting back from the plaza). Also, we were told we would board between 4 and 6 and it was almost after 5 when they started boarding and it was a slow process. Sorry you have to go through it- it is a bummer on the short cruises to have a delay. You might get more money since dinner will be affected for you as well, especially since they will have to do the muster drill at some point also.

Did they say what the reason was for the delay?