Can you do Knossos and related Museum on your own?

chem eng

Does anyone have any experience with doing Heraklion on your own. I would like to go to Knossos and the Archaelogical Museum.

Costa has a tour for this but it is 52 euros per person. With 2 of our this would be 104 euros. The combined price for both sites is 10 euros each. From the cruise critic description of the port, it appears that you could take a public bus to site and the museum is close to cruise port. Or it would be about 7 euros to take a cab there. I'm thinking that if we go by ourselves, we could have more time to look at the sights. We will only be in port from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Does anyone have any experience with Crete taxi drivers? I'm always nervous getting cabs in foreign countries as I have had bad experiences before.

It's pretty easy -- the bus is as Langoustine says.

The town area is a long-ish but doable walk from port. When I was there a couple of years ago, the museum was being renovated and only some of the best pieces were on display on a single floor of another building. However, I'm sure the renovation is now complete. Either way, it is definitely worth seeing the museum in order to see the original frescoes from Knossos -- much restored and somewhat debatable as to accuracy, but still gorgeous...

We were in Heraklion last year on a land holiday. Knossos is more or less at the back of Heraklion . I have no idea how much a taxi would be as we had a car, but ask on Tripadvisor . There will be somebody there who will know, but can't be much.

You can hire a guide at the entrance for about €10. The day we were there there was free entrance for everybody.