When you have to cancel due to Medical

WCAB

Do to a medical issue with my husband we have had to cancel our September cruise to Hawaii. I have called Princess and went online to start the Princess insurance process. We are Platinum members. I know there will be medical verification needed to support the claim but my question is because my husband is unable to make this trip does that mean my share of the fare is also recovered. I have never had to file a claim, so all new to me.

Do to a medical issue with my husband we have had to cancel our September cruise to Hawaii. I have called Princess and went online to start the Princess insurance process. We are Platinum members. I know there will be medical verification needed to support the claim but my question is because my husband is unable to make this trip does that mean my share of the fare is also recovered. I have never had to file a claim, so all new to me.

If you both had the insurance (should be on the booking confirmation) both of you will be covered. We had to cancel a cruise this year the day before sailing due to my husbands medical problem and, since we both had the insurance, we were both fully covered. Good luck with your husband's medical issue.

The Princess Vacation Protection brochure clearly states that it refunds your costs in cash if either you or your traveling companion has to cancel for one of the covered conditions (including sickness).

It also pays the single supplement if your traveling companion cancels for one of the covered conditions and you decide to go by yourself.

We had to use that option on our second Alaska cruise this summer, and Princess gave us a 50% refund in cash as that was the penalty period we were in, and the Princess insurance gave us a credit for both of us for the remainder of the cruise cost, less cost of insurance.

Fair winds

Dave

Thanks for the well wishes. I have started the paper work with AON who I guess Princess uses. I think they send me a claim form next. Our current goal will be to try and be well enough to do the trip in April.

Carol,sorry to hear about your husband.I have had to cancel a couple of cruises,do to DH medical issues and got a full refund.There is alot of paper work but the doctor has to fill it out and there should be no problem.I remember seeing you on the coastal cruise a couple of years ago.Hope he has a full recovery and you get to go next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Dianef. It has been quite a shock and very sudden. He was dx. with cancer in August. The same type as Jimmy Carter, which is extremely rare. Just finishing radiation on the brain and then starts a new cancer treatment for the rest of his body that has only been available in the last year and show great promise for reducing the tumors and adding years to the life expectancy. We are determined to take a cruise by Spring and with excellent medical care and Daryl's positive attitude, I'm sure will make it. Still waiting to hear to AON but it has been a little less than a month since I submitted everything.

Thanks, Dianef. It has been quite a shock and very sudden. He was dx. with cancer in August. The same type as Jimmy Carter, which is extremely rare. Just finishing radiation on the brain and then starts a new cancer treatment for the rest of his body that has only been available in the last year and show great promise for reducing the tumors and adding years to the life expectancy. We are determined to take a cruise by Spring and with excellent medical care and Daryl's positive attitude, I'm sure will make it. Still waiting to hear to AON but it has been a little less than a month since I submitted everything.

So sorry to hear about your husband, my DH is a cancer survivor. Just a note on a related topic: when you do rebook your cruise, look very carefully at any insurance policy you purchase as many have restrictions on pre-existing conditions. Some waive this when you pay for the insurance within a specified time limit after depositing, but again, read it very carefully. http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare policies. We have a friend whose insurance denied coverage for a cancellation due to her mother's serious illness --- she thought she was well insured but ended up losing a lot of money.

Wishing the best for your husband!

I don't think you will have any problems with insurance.